Congrats to Laura, who won the Hearts of England anthology by RJ Scott, Meredith Russell, Chris Quinton, Lisa Worrall, Sue Brown, & SA Meade!Â Hearts of England will be released by Silver Publishing on September 15.
Congrats to Brandi, who wonÂ Holding On by Em Woods!Â Holding On will be released by Total-E-Bound onÂ September 17.
- Joyfully Jay is giving away an ebook copy of Body Magic (Triad #2) by Poppy Dennison! Closes 11:59 pm EDT, September 16.
- Blodeuedd’s giving away a copy of A Lady and Her Magic by Tammy Falkner. Closes September 20.
- Shawn Lane’s giving away two ebook copies of her forthcoming Loving the Boss. Closes around September 25.
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Play the kerning game. (via Gizmodo)
- Vintage ads for reading and libraries. (Thanks, Jodi!)
- The Fifty Shades Generator will generate a random erotic passage for your reading… pleasure. (NSFW. Very NSFW.) (via Smexy Books)
- The ergonomics of reading ebooks. I’m a fan of book holders, such as this one.
Think, Do, Learn, Make
- Eloquent letter from Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe to the Maryland politician who was offended that a Baltimore Ravens player spoke out in favor of gay marriage. (Thanks, Jase!)
- Something to consider when dealing with girls who’ve been punched or teased, etc, by a boy, instead of telling them “it’s ok, he probably just likes you.”
- It’s not available yet, but a bike helmet sticker that alerts your emergency contacts when you crash seems like a good thing.
- Undercover Cupcake on the new Oreo flavors as marketing fail – and how to make your own Birthday Cake Oreos. (But what about Candy Cane Oreos?!)
- How long would it take a bird to poop in your mouth if you were lying on the ground with your mouth open?
- Brown sugar apple dip. (via CRAFT)
- Pumpkin pie yogurt. (via The Kitchn)
- Beetroot Scotch eggs. (via The Kitchn)
- Cornmeal pancakes. (via The Kitchn)
- Paul’s bourbito. (via The Kitchn)
- Cherry-peach sangria. (via The Kitchn)
- Best apology to a cat ever? (Thanks, Lea!)
- Deep tea diver tea infuser. (via EPBOT)
- R2-D2 luggage – I bet it increases the chance that your luggage is stolen… 🙁
Cool or Wha…?
- Sports cheat sheet. (hover your cursor over the comic for additional text)
- What it’s like to have ADD. (again with the hovering)
- Baby tiger! Baby foxes! Kitten! Cat and kittens! Lion! Lioness and baby! Lioness and babies! Black kitten! Black kitten! Tiger! Black leopard! Buffalo and baby! Ducklings! Baby tiger! Lioness and baby! Lions! Tiger and babies! Tiger! Cat and kitten! Cheetah and babies! Baby snow leopards! Baby panda! Baby bobcat! Baby tigers! Baby skunk! Baby numbats! Baby otter!
Second Hand (Tucker Springs #2) by Heidi Cullinan & Marie Sexton. ebook. arc. Very good m/m romance about a guy whose girlfriend left him for someone who could give her more stuff. As he becomes friends with the pawnshop owner he meets in the course of trying to sort out everything his ex-girlfriend left behind, he’s oblivious to the attraction simmering between them. I must confess that I wanted this book to be one day longer, which will make sense after you read it. 🙂
Steamroller by Mary Calmes. ebook. arc. Sweet m/m romance about a hardworking college student/copy center manager who’s snarky to a rude customer… a rude customer who seems to be everywhere he turns after that. But is that a bad thing… or a good thing?
Decorated to Death (Simon Kirby-Jones #3) by Dean James. Good gay mystery in which Lady Prunella foolishly invites a decorator, famous for his bad manners and extreme room makeovers show, to redecorate the drawing room.
Desert World Allegiances (Desert World #1) by Lyn Gala. ebook. Good m/m scifi romance about a guy who’s put into slavery as punishment and about the priest who realizes that all is not as it seems. This reminded me a bit too much of Dune…
Casual (Sex) Friday by Evie Kiels. ebook short. Cute short m/m romance about a guy who went out on a dull date with his coworker, but now keeps saying no every Friday when the coworker asks him out for a drink… until said coworker runs into him in the park after work one Friday…
A Younger Man (Cabin Fever #3) by Cameron Dane. ebook.Â Meh m/m romance about a fortyish handyman who gets a twenty-something man and his siblings a place to live in exchange for fixing up the place. The handyman doesn’t want to be attracted to the younger man, but… The sex scenes were frequent, lengthy, and excessively euphemistic to the point of being purple prose. “Striated bud”? “Pulsing channel”? Just ugh. I only made it through the book because I finally gave up reading the sex scenes.
“Mom says to please caption amongst yourselves because she’s had a really long week already.” -Mayhem