When Sorrows Come (October Daye #15) by Seanan McGuire. Was this the end of the series?! Including the novella, it sure felt like it could be the end.
The Last Oracle series, starting with The Book of Secrets, by Melissa McShane. Very good series about a woman who’s hired to work for an unusual bookstore and learns she’s now part of a magical world she had no idea existed.
Polly blep, with Harry looking out the window in the background.
Blurry Harry licking my ear (ewww), but it IS a very cute picture of his Halloween bow tie!
Polly’s pretty happy lap blanket season has returned.
Harry’s pretty happy about lap blanket season, too.
Harry LOVES playing fetch with sparkle balls and basically follows me around, waiting for the chance to play fetch.
Spilling Open: The Art of Becoming Yourself by Sabrina Ward Harrison. Let’s just say I wasn’t this eloquent at 21, although maybe after pruning and editing for publication…
Mayhem and Harry on the couch.
Mayhem and Polly on the couch.
Handsome Harry is handsome.
Oh Polly. LOL!
Magical Midlife Madness, Magical Midlife Dating, Magical Midlife Infasion, Magical Midlife Love, and Magical Midlife Meeting (Leveling Up 1-5) by KF Breene. Ok series about a newly divorced woman who becomes a caretaker of a creepy old house and falls into a world she had no idea existed.
Oath Sworn, Family & Honor, Broken Loyalty, Echoed Defiance, and Shades of Hate (Jacky Leon 1-5) by KN Banet. Ok series about a werecat who wants to be left alone to run her bar, but the rest of the world just won’t comply.
The harvest will be bountiful and furry.
Judging the “kittens” very hard here.
I was trying to nap after taking my migraine medication and Harry decided to “help” by vigorously grooming my head as Polly looked on.
Hi all! HOW ARE YOU?! My feet are healing well and I can wear (very wide) normal shoes instead of surgical shoes. Wild times here!
- Three Mages and a Margarita, Dark Arts and a Daiquiri, Two Witches and a Whiskey, Four Shifters and a Stranger, A Damsel and a Demigod, Demon Magic and a Martini, The Alchemist and an Amaretto, Druid Vices and a Vodka, Lost Talismans and a Tequila, & Damned Souls and a Sangria (Guild Codex: Spellbound 1-8, 0.25, 0.5 [complete!]) by Annette Marie. Fun series about a human who accidentally ends up tending bar for a magic guild.
- Taming Demons for Beginners, Slaying Monsters for the Feeble, Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped, & Delivering Evil for Experts (Guild Codex: Demonized [complete!]) by Annette Marie. Fun series (that intertwines with the other Guild Codex series) about a young woman who accidentally ends up bound to a demon, more or less.
- Warping Minds and Other Misdemeanors & Hellbound Guilds and Other Misdirections (Guild Codex: Warped 1-2) by Annette Marie. In-progress series (that intertwines with the other Guild codex series) about a slightly annoying criminal with a very unusual psychic ability.
- From the Ashes, Heart of Malice, Just for One Night, Blood Money, Heart of Fire, Heart of Ice, Heart of Stone, Heart of Shadows, & Heart of Vengeance (Alice Worth 1-6, +) by Lisa Edmonds. Very good series about a supernatural PI hiding from her mob boss father.
- My Luck, Hired Luck, Educated Luck, & Inherited Luck (Twisted Luck 1-4) by Mel Todd. Good series about an unmagical young woman who keeps finding dead bodies.
Tall Harry is tall (and a chunk)! Intent Polly is intent!
Polly trying to maim the kitty brush (and bite her tongue?!) as Harry looks on.
Polly is pretty!
Foot surgery successful! And now I’ll be clomping around in these surgical shoes for I don’t know how long… Probably no linkity for the next several weeks, as I’ve signed up for another class during my linkity making time.
Layers of Meaning: Elements of Visual Journaling by Rakefet Hadar. Gorgeous but otherwise disappointing self-published guide to the author’s specific method of art journaling.
Ghost of Gotham and A Time for Witches (Ghosts of Gotham 1-2) by Craig Schaefer. Good series about a reporter who debunks the paranormal, then finds himself in a complicated situation he can’t explain away.
Sworn to the Night, Detonation Boulevard, and Bring the Fire (The Wisdom’s Grave Trilogy) by Craig Schaefer. Ok side series of the Daniel Faust series that you need to read or the later books of the main series won’t make any sense.
Glass Predator, Cold Spectrum, Right to the Kill, and Black Tie Required (Harmony Black 3-6) by Craig Schaefer. Good series about an FBI agent and witch who becomes part of a black ops team meant to protect the country from supernatural threats. Also must be read or the later books of the Daniel Faust series won’t make sense.
Mayhem and Harry sharing a moment.
Mayhem and Polly sharing a moment.
Harry and the purple unicorn catnip toy.
“Not looking at you, Mom! Put away that phone camera!!!” -Mayhem
Probably won’t be linkity next week – I’m having double foot surgery on Monday (bunion and tailor’s bunion) and I’m going to take things easy for the rest of the week.
The Long Way Down, The White Gold Score, Redemption Song, The Living End, A Plain-Dealing Villain, The Killing Floor, The Castle Doctrine, Double or Nothing, The Neon Boneyard (Daniel Faust 1, 1.5, 2-8) by Craig Schaefer. Good series about a small-time Las Vegas magician and thief who gets caught up in a much larger story. You definitely want to bookmark the author’s reading order page for this one, because it’s part of set of interrelated series and things will get confusing if you try to read any one series straight through.
Harmony Black, Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black 1-2) by Craig Schaefer. Good series about an FBI agent and witch who becomes part of a black ops team meant to protect the country from supernatural threats. You need to read it interspersed with the Daniel Faust series, or by Book 9 of the Daniel Faust series, you will be very confused.
Got Luck, Lucky Day, Got Hope, Got Lost (Behindbeyond 1, 1.5, 2-3) by Michael Darling. Good urban fantasy series about a PI who discovers there’s a heckuva lot going on just below the surface of the world than he realized.
Oh, poor stressed Polly!
And poor stressed Harry!
Mayhem is ABSOLUTELY judging you, me, the kittens…
Oh, hello there! Hope everyone continues to be pandemic fine, at the very least?! I am now fully vaccinated and the two weeks have passed. I’ve been “celebrating” by having a few long-delayed routine medical appointments… And I got my hair cut! It was past my shoulder blades – now it skims my shoulders.
Not everything, but some of what I’ve been reading…
Across the Green Fields (Wayward Children #6) by Seanan McGuire. Not related to the school at all, but still good. I just wish these had a bit more closure.
The Secret Chapter and The Dark Archive (The Invisible Library 6-7) by Genevieve Cogman. Pretty solid in 6 and then WTF at the ending of 7.
The Last Smile in Sunder City and Dead Man in a Ditch (The Fetch Phillips Archives 1-2) by Luke Elliot Arnold. Good but tragic – these are mysteries set in a world which has lost its magic, which really messed up creatures that relied on magic to live, such as vampires, unicorns, etc.
Harry has very short, sleek fur. Polly’s fur is a bit longer. They both love the windows!
The look of resignation on Mayhem’s face (plus the side-eye she’s giving Harry), compared to the FOCUS on Harry’s face…
- The Dresden Files (1-17, including many of the stories in between the full numbers) by Jim Butcher. I hadn’t read anything in the series since 2009, so I started again from the first book. I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed this series!
- A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking and A Minor Mage by T Kingfisher. Enjoyable YA fantasies about being more than you think you are and definitely more than you seem.
- Brimstone Bound, Infernal Enchantment, Midnight Smoke (Firebrand 1-3) by Helen Harper. Fluffy paranormal series about a newly minted London Detective Constable who ends up on the infamous “Supe Squad”.
- The Noose of a New Moon (Wolfbrand #1) by Helen Harper. This follows up on Devereau Webb, a character from Firebrand #3.
“What do you want now, lady?!” -Polly
Harry tummy! Type = Not Forbidden!
“I know she secretly likes me!!!!!” -Harry
“Are those kittens STILL HERE?!” -Mayhem
Working my way through the Dresden Files and completely not keeping Goodreads updated. I hadn’t read anything in the series since 2009, when I was traumatized by the ending to Turn Coat. I did better with it this time!
Harry is going to be a Large Cat. He’s on a standard-sized pillow – nose on one end, hind end dangling off the other. He’s 7.5 months old! 😮
“…zzzzzzzzzzzzz…” -Harry and Polly