- For a chance to win one of several cool prizes, answer Piper Vaughn’s questions by 9 pm CDT, April 22.
- Joder’s giving away an ebook copy of Carnal Desires by DL Jackson. Contest closes 11:59 pm CDT, April 22.
- Joder’s giving away an ebook copy of An Uncommon Sense by Serenity Woods. Contest closes 11:59 pm CDT, April 26.
- New releases and more: Literary Escapism (UF/PNR), Book Lovers Inc (a bit of everything), and Fiction Vixen (various types of romance).
- VacuousMinx on authors behaving badly. This is my favorite quote from the post: “Why read a book that might lead to a confrontation when you want to discuss it, especially since there are plenty of books by authors who don’t behave like that?” Yes. This.
- Val Kovalin discusses some possible outcomes of authors behaving badly – outcomes that aren’t so good for authors.
- Paperback Writer has a humorous pop quiz for paranormal romance writers to use to check the originality of their story concepts.
Do, Think, Make, Learn
- The sonic screwdriver has been invented. Seriously.
- Doctor Whooves (Doctor Who/My Little Pony crossover).
- Cat scratch pants, a science fair invention. 🙂
Cool or Wha…?
- Tiger and baby! Lion! Lion! Baby tiger! Jaguars! Black panther! Tiger and baby! Lioness and baby! Sandhill crane and baby! Baby burro! Kitten! Red panda! Baby lion! Kittens! Cat and kittens! Tiger and babies! Otters! Kittens! Kittens! Red panda! Baby leopards! Baby bongo! Baby fennecs! Baby porcupine! Baby penguins!
Written in the Stars by Alix Bekins. ebook. Very good humorous m/m romance about a prickly physicist working as a fact checker for a science magazine after a professional disgrace. When his editor and best friend bribes him to write an anonymous astrology column for the magazine, he doesn’t think things can get any worse… until his editor comes up with a plan for him to go on blind dates with guys from each astrological sign…
Different Spheres by Cari Z. ebook short. Very good short m/m romance about a professor who has MS and needs to ask his next-door neighbor for a ride to the hospital when he has a relapse.
The Ghost on My Couch by LA Gilbert. ebook. Very good paranormal m/m romance about a nurse who becomes friends with the ghost who appears in his apartment one day and changes the way he looks at his own life. I got sniffly more than once whilst reading this!
Witness by LA Gilbert. ebook. reread. Sweet m/m romance about a cop who meets a bike messenger while on a routine call, then runs into him again when he backs over the guy’s bike. This book would’ve benefited from a bit more conflict (0r perhaps conflicts not effortlessly resolved) and fewer point-of-view shifts, particularly near the beginning of the book.
No Remedy for Love by podga. free online. Very good m/m romance about a couple who were together for 25 years and then split up, painfully. Be warned that at least half the story is told via flashback.
It’s Like This by Oribiting Jupiter. free online. Very good kinky m/m romance about two guys who’ve been together for three years, since high school, but they’ve never talked about whether they’re actually in a relationship. I could definitely relate to Niles’ communication issues…
College Boys (Men of Holsum College #1) by Daisy Harris. ebook. Very good m/m romance about a college student who changes dorms partway through the semester, after his mom dies, so he can have some time alone, away from the soccer teammates he’d been rooming with. Strangely, he finds he’s ok with talking through the wall with the gay guy who lives next door…
Hot Hands (College Fun & Gays #1) by Erica Pike. ebook short. Good short m/m romance about a college student who keeps getting groped in the halls, but can’t figure out who’s the culprit.
Grade-A-Sex Deal (College Fun & Gays #2) by Erica Pike. ebook short. Good short m/m romance about a professor who realizes he’s developing feelings for a student he has a “sex for grades” agreement with.
The Walls Have Ears (College Fun & Gays #3) by Erica Pike. ebook short. Very good short m/m romance about a college student who develops a crush on the guy in the next apartment, whose bedroom is adjacent to his…
First Impressions by Christopher Koehler. ebook. Good m/m romance about a former porn star (now a mostly respectable businessman) who makes a terrible first impression on the store clerk he finds attractive. Of course, the store clerk is simultaneously making a terrible first impression on him, too… and things don’t really improve between them from there.
Music in the Midst of Desolation by Charlie Cochrane. ebook short. Good short paranormal m/m romance about a guy who dies in the trenches during WWI, then is sent to our modern time as a sort of guardian angel.
Relationships 201 by Alix Bekins. ebook. Good m/m romance about a first-year history grad student who’s crushing on the straight professor he TA’s for, at the same time he’s struggling to reconnect with his boyfriend after a summer apart. I think this would’ve been a stronger story if it had been shorter, with less time spent on introspection.
I’m Not Sexy and I Know It by Vic Winter. ebook short. Cute short m/m romance about a guy who knows he’s not a sexy stud, but who starts to feel a bit less awkward when dancing with an unseen man at a club.
Bartender, PI by Ethan Stone. ebook. Pretty good m/m romantic suspense about a rather dim hockey player whose career ends unexpectedly, so he tends bar and tries to get his PI license. This had some funny moments, but the thing with him never using the right word got old fast.
Spell Cat (The Aloysisu Chronicles #1) by Tara Lain. ebook. Ok paranormal m/m romance about a gay pure-blooded wizard who’s betrothed to a female pure-blooded wizard and planning to go through with the marriage for the good of wizardkind, until he and his fiancee discover a very big secret indeed. Aloysius the familiar was probably the best part of the book.
Seizing It by Chris T. Kat. ebook. So-so m/m romance about a prickly veterinary assistant who can’t decide if he likes the overbearing guy who rescued him from a stalker. Everyone in this book was annoying. And I don’t believe that Kit would be all better psychologically from just the love of a strong man.