- Leave a comment by March 19 with your favorite first line from a book at LesleyW’s Book Nook and you could win a copy of Sparkle Hayter’s Naked Brunch.
- Largehearted Boy’s giving away another $100 Threadless gift certificate (plus assorted books and cds) this week – answer his question in the comments before midnight CDT, March 19, for your chance to win.
- Nalini Singh’s giving away the British versions of Angel’s Blood and Slave To Sensation (Psy-Changeling, Book 1) – answer her question in the comments by 4 pm New Zealand time, March 21, for your chance to win one of her books.
- Anna’s giving away a copy of Alexandra Hawkins’ historical romance, All Night with a Rogue. A winner will be selected from the comments on March 21.
- Romance Reviews today is giving away a $10 gift card to Amazon, B&N, or Fictionwise – leave a comment with the first line of the book you’re currently reading, along with the title and author. Contest closes 6 pm EDT, March 21.
- Jane of Quiddity is celebrating her sixth blogiversary with a contest – guess how many pairs of socks she’s made since she started knitting and you could win yarn, a project bag made by Jane, and a calendar of her gorgeous flower photos. Contest closes at midnight EDT, March 21.
- Book Binge is giving away a nook ebook reader to a lucky US resident. Make sure you read the rules! Contest closes 11:59 pm, March 21.
- SciFiGuy’s giving away two ARCs of Devon Monk’s forthcoming urban fantasy, Magic on the Storm. For your chance to win, leave a comment by midnight EDT, March 22. He’s also giving away two prize packs featuring Christopher Moore’s Bite Me: A Love Story – leave a comment by midnight EDT, March 23.
- Book Junkie’s giving away three copies of Just Let Me Lie Down: Necessary Terms for the Half-Insane Working Mom – leave a comment by March 23 for your chance to win.
- Donna’s giving away both books in Diana Rowland’s Kara Gillian series (Mark of the Demon and Blood of the Demon) – leave a comment by midnight CDT, March 26 telling her which book you’d like to win.
- All Things Urban Fantasy’s weekly contest post had 145 contests when I checked yesterday!
- Author Carolyn Crane (aka my pal CJ) is celebrating the forthcoming release of her urban fantasy, Mind Games, with the Trapped in a Restaurant Meme Game. Head over to her blog for details on how to enter for your chance to win ($100 restaurant gift certificate for first place and $50 for second place!).
Books & Reading & Beyond
- For info on new releases, contests, and more, make sure you check out Fantasy Dreamer’s Ramblings (fantasy, urban fantasy, & YA), SciFiGuy’s Urban Fantasy Weekend Report, and Lily’s weekly list of m/m releases.
- Librophile helps you find free audiobooks (and ebooks, supposedly, but I didn’t see any there).
- Smart Bitches took an informal survey to find out where people buy their books and the results are now available.
- Like Dear Author, I do worry about Apple’s propensity toward censorship…
- Joanna of TeleRead does an ebook reader spring cleaning and reports back.
- Interesting post at TeleRead about the future of publishing.
- This Gizmodo article about the dwindling future of record labels (and not just because of piracy) seems to have lessons in it for the publishing industry.
- I’m quite intrigued by the Spring Designs Alex eReader, but I’ll be waiting a while so I can read some reports from users after it ships mid-April.
- Eeep! Paranormal mashup victims now include The Wizard of Oz, Mansfield Park, and Huckleberry Finn…
- Hmm. When was the last time you cleaned your earbuds? Yeah, that’s what I thought. Me, too.
- Lifehacker’s tip to use foam packing peanuts to hold a nail so you don’t smash your fingers is brilliant in its simplicity.
- CJ found some more info on the stinky water in Minneapolis.
- Who wouldn’t have done better in chemistry if we’d studied the Periodic Table of Sci-Fi Film and Television instead of those pesky elements?
- The things that cities are doing to compete for Google Fiber are just weird.
- When you’re desperate for that caffeine fix, you might want to try the Coffee Inhaler.
- Arachnophobes might want to avoid this gadget stand (and completely skip the spider story in the post about the stand).
Moment of Silence
- Yesterday, Janna had to say goodbye to her black kitty, Binny. *sniff*
- Do you read Hyperbole and a Half? Why not?? This is one of my favorites, because I, too, am a Finder.
- Wren posted a great list of random thoughts. Here’s one of my favorites from the list: “MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. I’m pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.”
- Love xkcd’s take on romance novels… (as always, hover your mouse over the cartoon for additional amusing text)
- Awful Library Books found a truly puzzling dog training book – what’s with all the turtles?
- Excellent yarn barf cartoon.
- Basement Kittens and peer pressure – I believe it.
- Cat owners who can relate to this, raise your hands.
- You know they’re planning this.
- Awww – isn’t she about the cutest tabby kitten girl you’ve ever seen?
- Chaos does the same thing, only he manages to splatter a much larger area.
A to Z by Marie Sexton. ebook. Very good m/m romance about a video store owner who hires one of his customers. They become best friends and… 🙂 I would definitely recommend that you read Sexton’s Promises first, as there’s a bit of character congruence. Definitely shouldn’t be a hardship, since both are good reads (although I think Promises is the stronger book). And after you’ve read both, there’s a free short story about the guys from Promises – it takes place shortly after A to Z.
Only in His Dreams by Shawn Lane. ebook. Sweet m/m romance about a law firm billing manager who has a crush on one of the seemingly unattainable partners at the firm.
And Call Me in the Morning by Willa Okati. ebook. In this very good m/m romance, two straight doctors, whose friends always tease them about being a couple, kiss each other just to prove there isn’t anything like that between them. Whoops. (And, as many others have mentioned, neither of the characters is described as looking as old as the guys on the cover look.)
Saying I Do (Quinn Security, Book 3) by Cameron Dane. ebook. Pretty good m/m romance about the two guys from Finding Home (Quinn Security, Book 1) during their hotel stay in Vermont the week before their wedding.
Finding Home (Quinn Security, Book 1) by Cameron Dane. ebook. And then I had to reread this one. Still smokin’ hot.
Netting Neptune (Southern Cross Resort, Book 1) by KC Kendricks. ebook. Ok m/m romance about a resort owner who helps out a stranded and skittish traveler on the beach.
Damn Gorgeous by Jaye Valentine. ebook. Decent paranormal m/m romance about a tabloid reporter doing a story on Lizzie Borden’s house who gets involved with the mysterious owner of the inn where he’s staying.
The Wedding Planner by G.A. Hauser. ebook. An m/m romance about a stockbroker and his wedding planner that started strong, but about 2/3 of the way through deteriorated down to preteen girl gushing. *sigh*
Calling Dr. Love by G.A. Hauser. ebook. Disclaimer: This was a free m/m romance from ARe over the holidays, or I wouldn’t actually own it. So why did I read it? Um, I figured, since I already had low expectations based on how the previous book panned out… It didn’t help. Gah. And then… I kept reading out of sick fascination. I’m so ashamed. Especially after reading “Phil cuddled Phil…” and continuing.
Lifting Spirits by Alexandria Rayne. ebook. Um, should I confess that I bought this m/m romance simply to see if the continuity error in the excerpt was actually in the book? Yup, it sure was. Might’ve had potential, but with editing issues and way too much weird self-referential stuff from the author, it was a confused mess.
Nowhere Man by Jamie Craig. ebook. Good m/m romance about a grad student who tracks down a reclusive writer and works to break through the writer’s shell. (Yup,Â you’re right – that is Neck Crick Guy on the cover!)
Calendar Boys March: Kiss Me by Jamie Craig. ebook. Ok sort of holiday (St. Patrick’s Day) m/m romance about a photographer who starts to date a p0rn star.
Carey’d Away by J.M. Snyder. ebook. So-so m/m romance about two guys working at a comic book convention who hook up. I could definitely have lived without the slanguage.
A Feral Christmas (Lost Shifters, Book 2) by Stephani Hecht. ebook. Good paranormal m/m romance being the continuing story of a family of jaguar shifters searching for their lost siblings.
Sex, Lies and Wedding Bells by E.M. Lynley. ebook. Reread. Very enjoyable m/m romance in which a snarky Manhattan columnist researching a runaway bride story finds himself falling for groom #4.
“I love you, pink fluff, even if you aren’t sparkly!” -Mayhem
31 thoughts on “Absolinkity”
Oh, that Sadie Huggins is a cute one alright!
Coffee inhaler??! I saw that on the news, and I have to say. If I’m ever that desperate for caffeine? I’ll wait.
.-= BrigitteÂ´s last blog ..Just Stuff =-.
Gah! There are days when I think there are too many ereaders out there. It’s hard to finally decide to bite the bullet when new products are coming out every few months (or less). I still like the look of the 360 that I was looking at last week, but need to save my pennies first.
.-= Seanna LeaÂ´s last blog ..pumpkin to cure my ills (and geekery) =-.
You continually outdo yourself my dear…
You send us to a blog that people talk katz speak, – and you complain that we talk to Chaos and Mayhem…..
let the chatter carry on – email me boyz…
Great set of link this week – I wonder when this whole ebook thing will settle down – the public is spoiled for choice..
Love your books this week…. I have read quite a few of those as well…
I did like Sex, Lies and Wedding Bells alot.. some very funny scenes are in that one…
I need to block off a week and read some Cameron Dane – her books are so calling to me..
.-= Erotic HorizonÂ´s last blog ..Review: The Cowboy and the Cougar & Loving Eve Â© Helen Hardt =-.
*sigh* I have to stop clicking your links before work or I’m going to end up late one day…
Love the scifi table, and the finder link made me laugh out loud – I didn’t know there were people like that!
BTW – I got an e-mail from a certain kitteh yesterday…*grins* now I’m part of the Kewl Kids Klub! (or something)
.-= PattiÂ´s last blog ..Visiting the Smutty Hussy Lair…. =-.
Mayhem, I wish I knew your bliss.
.-= margeneÂ´s last blog ..20 Questions…. =-.
I just won Only in his Dreams yesterday. I gave up on GA Hauser after book 3. Just does NOT work for me, but obviously does for many many others.
Damn Gorgeous still gives herpetophobic me the willies. LOL
I’m going to pass that Sci-Fi chart on to a friend. Too funny.
.-= TamÂ´s last blog ..The Vampire Report =-.
Chris- I remember the periodic table of the elements- might come in handy for Jeopardy.
.-= LorraineÂ´s last blog ..It’s All Too Much =-.
Poor Calling Dr. Love, just can’t catch a break… 😉
.-= MirandaÂ´s last blog ..REVIEW: Kept =-.
Kitties = cute! I think I’d rather not know what my little visitors are up to at night. Found a prescription bottle (with childproof cap still on) on the landing this a.m. It had been on the kitchen counter.
I’m thinking you’re a little masochistic if you’re buying books just to see if the blurb errors are real.
And thanks for the shout-out!
.-= wrenÂ´s last blog ..Random thoughts =-.
Yay for Myron!
.-= trekÂ´s last blog ..CÃ©ad mile fÃ¡ilte! =-.
Mansfield Park and mummies…well go figure 😉 When will the madness start, and how soon can i get it
.-= blodeueddÂ´s last blog ..I am being interviewed over at The Book on the Hill today =-.
LMBO!! Your linkty links never cease to amaze me! Thanks for sharing all….
Pause.. yes, still sniff sniff over Janna’s kittie.
And those little kitties are so precious.
And Mayhem and her pink… to cute!!
Hope you are having a great day!
Good morning! So much linky, and thanks for the shout! Yes, I think our Mississippi sludgewater is clearing up. Oh, BTW, I learned about it on TWITTER, but you wouldn’t know about that.
Love that poor planning picture. LOL
.-= Carolyn CraneÂ´s last blog ..I’m All About the Pleasure at Novel Thoughts! & Krazy contest roundup =-.
I have always maintained that the “finding” ability is directly linked to the possession of a va-jay-jay. Seriously, three men in my house and they can’t find ANYTHING.
Great links today (as usual). I liked the info on Readers and the kitty links were adorable.
I’ve read just a few of the ones you listed and generally agreed with your thoughts. Thanks again for the mention.
I looked at the gadget stands, but skipped the story behind it. I was skeered.
.-= Cheryl S.Â´s last blog ..WIP Wednesday =-.
That’s a nice pillow Mayhem’s got.
Sometimes, I use Google Maps directions for *not my neighborhood*. Or to send to people who don’t know my neighborhood and its slew of one-way streets.
Eee! Adorable tabby kitten!
.-= naomiÂ´s last blog ..eye candy wednesday? =-.
You know, Brent Spiner pointed out that Gizmodo link about the Death of Data on Twitter, though he complained that they obviously hadn’t seen “Nemesis”.
And thanks for the link to the periodic table! I’ll have to save that one for future blog use. It’s too awesome not to share.
.-= NicoleÂ´s last blog ..Week 11: Sherlock Holmes =-.
And I wonder why I never get anything done on linkity days…
Okay, so you warned me, but I had to do it anyway. I had to look at the spider stand link…and once there, read the damn story. I has a dumb. A giant dumb with no sense of self preservation.
Poor sweet Binny and Janna. 🙁
Just wait until this week’s Sunday Surprise, I have even more mashups schedule to appear. I found three weeks worth of titles I haven’t seen yet.
.-= Jackie (Literary Escapism)Â´s last blog ..Guest Author: Chloe Neill =-.
Hehe 🙂 That is a very cute tabby!
.-= mrspaoÂ´s last blog ..All the better to capture black cats with =-.
I’ll have to look into the Sexton, Lane and Okati. I have that Hauser one you got for free on my ereader and I keep passing it by. Now I know why – it was that psychic intuition of mine! lol
.-= TracyÂ´s last blog ..News Flash! Pigs Fly When My Mom Reads an M/M Book For The First Time! =-.
Coffer inhaler!! Oh noes, I don’t need to know about that…must go check it out. Now.
Lot of reading for you this week. ::pats Chris on the back:: I need to step up my reading game…I feel like I’ve been slow poking along lately. Probably has something to do with the weather being Spring like. Maybe.
.-= Donna-FantasyDreamerÂ´s last blog ..Guest Post by Urban Fantasy Author Diana Rowland & a Giveaway =-.
I think I’ll pass on the coffee inhaler. I prefer my coffee the old fashioned way. 😉
I used to keep a water glass beside the bed until I woke up once and saw the cat with her paw in the glass.
.-= SydneyÂ´s last blog ..A Blogiversary, And Suddenly Itâ€™s Spring =-.
Thanks for the shout out! Hope everyone will come enter. I can say that there haven’t been enough right answers yet.
Thanks for the periodic table link, but where’s my old school Heinlein and Bradbury?
Mayhem, you are just too cute. I have to send you something pink!
I had to backtrack – I couldn’t miss your awesome linkety post..
Now must check out adventures in stock photography!
.-= LeaÂ´s last blog .."Mind Games" by Carolyn Crane – ARC Review and GIVEAWAY! =-.
OK, my post got eaten. I like the sound of Call Me In The Morning.
And Mayhem you coat is SO glossy!
.-= oranniaÂ´s last blog ..De Trope =-.
Thank you for thinking of me all week, and for the link! You’re a good friend 🙂
Going to add some more books to my to-buy list again 😉
.-= ErotRomReader JannaÂ´s last blog ..Happy Gay Friday & Quick review of Conquest by S.J. Frost =-.
I wonder if the librophile site reviews the readers on Librivox. I had one decent book, but a couple were so bad it was like listening to the slow reader in 4th grade. (Snotty, I know.)
.-= Mary LouÂ´s last blog ..Wool Ad =-.
So much linky goodness in one post. Um, coffee inhaler? Hyperbole is so funny, in my favorite dry sort of way. Sorry about Binny. Good news about Myron.
And it’s good that May can see beyond the sparkle to what’s really important: it’s pink.
.-= Karen B.Â´s last blog ..FO: Ready to go public =-.