- You have until 11:59 pm PST, January 8, to enter the amazing Desert Island Keepers Giveaway Grand Finale! Make sure your comment indicates whether you’re entering for the m/m or the m/f prize pack.
- Carolyn Crane’s giving away a copy of Great Philosophers Who Failed at Love by Andrew Shaffer (non-fiction history) and Merit Badges (Minnesota-based fiction) by Kevin Fenton. Comment by the morning of January 11 for your chance to win!
- Six authors of erotic romances (Devon Rhodes, Bronwyn Green, Kris Norris, Gwendolyn Cease, Suzanne Graham, and Jessica Jarman) are offering the chance to win a NookColor and ebooks from their backlists! Contest closes at noon EST, January 11. Please make sure you read the rules so you aren’t disqualified!
- Amara’s giving away A Beautiful Silence by Lee Brazil (m/m romance) – answer her question in the comments by midnight PST, January 11, for your chance to win.
- Sweet Vernal Zephyr’s giving away two fantasy books by Sean Russell: World Without End and Sea Without Shore from the Moontide and Magic Rise series. Comment by January 23 for your chance to win.
- New releases: Lily (m/m romance), SciFiGuy (fantasy, scifi), AAR (romance audiobooks), Tor.com (YA paranormal), Book Lovers Inc (various sorts of romance), Katiebabs (various sorts of romance), and Literary Escapism (UF/PNR).
- 2011 reading challenges: orannia’s Big Book Challenge, the M/M Romance Challenge, and the New Author Challenge from Literary Escapism (plus links to several other challenges).
- If you’ve been wanting to mix fiber with your scifi reading, maybe you should check out this excerpt from the new “fashionpunk” novel Yarn by Jon Armstrong.
- From Gizmodo, an interesting post on the impact the Copyright Act of 1976 had this January 1.
- Been wondering which recent books can stop bullets? Wonder no more! (Hint: You’re toast if you have an ebook reader.)
- Smokin’ Hot Books discusses the new Kindle lending feature. So does TeleRead. And Lifehacker. And Gizmodo…
- Dear Author compares the lending features of various ereaders and lending policies of various publishers.
- At Dear Author, All Romance eBooks reports on trends they’ve noticed.
- USA Today reports that the ebook editions of the top six books on its next bestsellers list outsold the print editions.
Think, Do, Learn, Make
- Did you know that January 24-28 is No Name Calling Week, aimed at school age children?
- Researchers have discovered that chemicals in women’s tears decrease men’s sexual arousal.
- Ever wondered why the human body temperature is 98.6F?
- Lifehacker discusses some ways to better archive your photos, plus how to keep your computer safe, clean, and backed up.
- Liquid crystal glasses could take the place of bifocals – I hope they come down in price before I need bifocals!
Best of 2010
- I love these tile photo coasters, but the process seems awfully fiddly.
- A battery that’s been running for 60 years… so why can’t my cell phone stay charged for more than 48 hours?!
- Beauty products with bad names – I strangely have no desire to buy “Chicken Poop” lip balm.
- We do not need robot head GPS…
- Yes! I was the first person to send mail to Ava March using a special and very specific mailing address. 🙂
- How to make your very own furry mascot costume (i.e., where to turn at 11 pm when your kid mentions you’re supposed to provide one for the big game tomorrow).
- Penguin silliness! (Thanks, Jase!)
- This would be a much more useful computer keyboard key than CAPS LOCK.
- Related to Mayhem?! Ferret in a Slinky! Ducklings! Lioness and cub! Lion! Lion and cub! Cheetah! Baby cheetah! Snow leopards! Wee owl in a hat! Penguins! Black kitten! Otter and baby! Swan and cygnets! Baby cougars! Kitten with toy! Kitty staring at snow kitty! Kittens! Kittens!
I read 864 books in 2010, compared to 811 books in 2009. I had six dnf (did not finish) books, which I have not listed. I tagged 858 of the books I read as m/m, 826 as ebooks, 350 as shorts, and 24 as rereads. You can find my reviewettes of these these books in my LibraryThing (in the “Review” or “Comments” field, depending). Please note that not all of my books are in GoodReads, although I’m trying to be better about adding them!
One Real Thing by Anah Crow & Dianne Fox. ebook. Excellent m/m romance about two guys who were best friends in college. One got married and started a career and followed a path of things he felt he should do. The other slowly spiraled down and out of control. This book was, at times, not an easy read. It left me feeling gutted more than once. But it’s so very worth reading to find out for yourself if either of them can be saved…
All She Wrote (Holmes & Moriarity, Book 2) by Josh Lanyon. ebook. Very good m/m romantic suspense/mystery continuing the story of Kit Holmes and J.X. Moriarity, mystery writers (although not coauthors), as Kit flies across the country to play amateur sleuth for a writer friend who thinks someone is trying to kill her.
Primal Red (Bellingham Mysteries, Book 1) by Nicole Kimberling. ebook. Very good m/m romantic suspense about an investigative reporter for a free weekly paper who hears screaming, then sees a woman die in the arms of an artist that he’d very much like to date…
Baby, It’s Cold Outside (Bellingham Mysteries, Book 2) by Nicole Kimberling. Good m/m romantic suspense continuing the story of the investigative report and the artist – this time, they’re camping in the snow and participating in a New Year’s Eve snow sculpture event when they discover a dead body.
Black Cat Ink (Bellingham Mysteries, Book 3) by Nicole Kimberling. Good m/m romantic suspense in which our artist and investigative reporter search for a stolen penis statue and acquire a black kitten.
Appearing Nightly (The First Real Thing, Book 2) by Cat Grant. Very good m/m romance about a singer/drag queen/bar co-owner who’s fascinated by the cute, skittish guy who recently started working at the bar. You really need to read The First Real Thing before you read this book!
The Stroke of Twelve by Kim Dare. ebook. Very good kinky m/m romance about an aimless young man who wakes up after a night at the bar to find he has a piece of paper with an address and a time written on it and only the vague memory of a handsome older man handing it to him. Curious, he turns up at the address on time… and his life is changed in a way he never expected.
A Change of Tune by J.M. Cartwright. ebook. Good m/m romance about a successful (and deeply closeted, even from himself) rock musician who leaves his band and moves to an out-of-the-way town in West Virginia, where he meets a very pushy sheriff…
Offside Pass (Blue Line Hockey, Book 1) by Stephani Hecht. ebook. Good m/m romance about a newbie sports reporter trying to figure out the dark secret in the past of three brawling hockey brothers, one of whom he finds very attractive.
It’s Smoking in the Locker Room by Stephani Hecht. free ebook short. Smoking (heh) short m/m romance about a college student whose secret high school crush (and former captain of the high school hockey team) emails him and asks to meet in their old high school locker room.
Burnt Orange: Sooner or Later by Dallas Coleman. ebook short. Good short m/m romance, told in a series of key scenes, that follows two guys who become friends in grade school, despite one being a Sooner and the other being a Longhorn and neither realizing the other is gay… I got sniffly once or twice during this one.
Sagittarius: Mr. November (Boys of the Zodiac, Book 9) by Pepper Espinoza. ebook. I read it because I love the song “Mr. November” by the National, but it’s actually a good (if rather heavy on the dreary football details) m/m romance about an older quarterback who’s been traded to a new team under mysterious circumstances.
Pulling Away (Book 1) by Shawn Lane. ebook short. Reread. Good short m/m romance about a guy who’s isolated himself since his parents died two years earlier, only really talking to a friend he met online.
The First by Rachel West. ebook short. Very good short m/m romance about two guys in college who broke up because one caught the other kissing someone else while very drunk at a party.
“Hey, Stella!!!!” -Chaos