Make sure you enter the contest for Kim Dare’s Resplendence Gems short stories (8-11 stories, depending)! Closes 7 pm CST, December 22.
Don’t forget to enter the contest for Finally Fallen (The Dark Angels #3) (2nd ed) by Z Allora! Closes 7 pm CST, December 22.
Then go enter the contest for Even the Score (Knight Errant #3) by KD Sarge! Closes 7 pm CST, December 29.
Stop by and enter the contest for Dear Alex (2nd ed) by Clare London! Closes 7 pm CST, December 29.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- On adding fanfic to Goodreads. Discussion of that post. More discussion of that post.
- Fanfic and Goodreads page at the Fanlore wiki. (via Dreamer)
- Dear Author wonders what being a “good” reader means.
- Tolkien explained in four minutes.
- Neil Gaiman reads A Christmas Carol.
- Jane Austen spoilers. (via urrone)
Think, Do, Learn, Make
- About the NHL Mumps Outbreak. The NHL Mumps Song. The NHL Mumps Map. Sidney Crosby with the mumps, My Little Pony style.
- Why peanut butter is so sticky.
- What I’ve always suspected about the gym…
- Photos of the Panama Canal lock gates being installed.
- The Colbert Report set is on Street View.
- mental_floss shares their favorite scientific study titles from 2014.
- “2014’s top moments in Play-Doh form“.
- What if all the rivers the US were instantly frozen in the middle of summer?
Even MORE Gift Guides
- “For the lumbersexual outdoorsman“.
- For outdoorspeople.
- For “fledgling cryptozoologists”.
- For space fans.
- For dogs and their people.
- For the child-at-heart.
- For coffee addicts.
- For kids who cook.
- Food gifts that travel well.
- “DIY kits for the hands-on chef“.
- DIY tools and maker kits.
- Budget gifts that aren’t obviously inexpensive.
- Handmade gifts.
- Smart Bitches: Part V.
- Gizmodo’s guide to all their gift guides.
- Chewy chocolate gingerbread cookies.
- Chocolate chip cookie bark.
- Candy cane cookies.
- Cthulumas cookies. (via maderr)
- Sugar cookie cake.
- Peppermint red velvet cake roll.
- N0-bake five-ingredient bon bons.
- 15 breakfast recipes.
- Smoky creamed kale.
- Butternut squash and sausage lasagna.
- Chickpea stew with spinach and sausage. (via The Kitchn)
- Nutella hot chocolate.
- Blank action figures you can customize.
- Nobel physicist snowflake patterns. (via mental_floss)
- Star Wars snowflake patterns. (via The Mary Sue)
- Frozen snowflake patterns.
- Star Wars-themed holiday light show.
- NASA’s All About That Space parody.
- Cat-mas tree.
- Short films about a snow-loving dog, a house seeking freedom, a bad roommate, and “relationship problems and interdimensional physics“.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Cake Wrecks is doing a “best of” the wrecks series: ugliest wedding wrecks, mean-but-funny, apologies, unintentionally erotic…
- Sir Ian McLellan and Cookie Monster.
- The Hobbit mashed up with The Office.
- Never look in someone else’s Documents folder. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
- US weather.
- Map of the introvert’s heart.
The Magicians (The Magicians #1) by Lev Grossman. DNF at 65-70%. Pretentious. Feels like Harry Potter and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe crossover fanfic. I hate everyone in the book and can’t be bothered to pick it up again.
“No, no, nothing’s wrong. Why do you ask?” -Mayhem, whose superpower is looking pathetic – she makes the vet feel guilty for just entering the exam room!