Make sure you enter the contest for Jack in the Green (2nd ed) by JL Merrow! Closes 7 pm CDT, Friday, May 1.
- Becky Black is giving away an ebook copy of her forthcoming m/m scifi romance, The Champion’s Secret. Closes 7 am UK time, April 28.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance) and Dear Author (romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Lots and lots of bookity linkity from Book Riot.
- Linkity from ReaderWriterVille.
- Dear Author on “becoming a more mindful book consumer”.
- Fiction Vixen on “keepers” and rereading.
- Read an unpublished passage from A Wrinkle in Time. (via The Mary Sue)
- Some journaling secrets and tips from Paperback Writer.
- The British Library.
Think, Learn, Do, Make
- “101 amazing facts everyone should know“.
- Pantone has released its new color: Minion Yellow. (via Tor.com)
- A visual history of hockey jerseys.
- “How to survive a trip to IKEA without dumping your partner“.
- Tips and tools for making better tea.
- Do not eat any products from Blue Bell Creameries.
- “Households earning $75,000 eat out too much to save any money“.
- A freshly discovered frog species looks like Kermit the Frog.
- Download and/or delete your Google history.
- Roasted vegetable lasagna.
- Fresh herb chicken casserole.
- Cottage cheese muffins with roasted red peppers and feta.
- Chocolate banana crumb cake.
- Chocolate-dipped seed cookies.
- Creme brulee bars. (via The Kitchn)
- Carrot cake cookies with coconut cream cheese frosting. (via maderr)
- Rhubarb simple syrup.
- Flourless almond and coconut cake.
- Hostess-style crunch donettes.
- Pineapple upside-down cake.
- Strawberry tart.
- Yogurt-coated chewy strawberry granola bars.
- Dinner rolls.
- Hubble Telescope nebula fly-through.
- Star Wars jet. (via wilwheaton)
- The new Star Wars trailer in LEGO.
- Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer in LEGO.
- Apollo 13 astronauts and crew as LEGO minifigs.
- Short film about doodling.
- Short film of New York City.
- NSFW tribute to 120 years of movies.
- You can search for the Loch Ness Monster via Street View.
- Giant sword monument in Norway.
- Corvidae paintings by Lindsay Kustusch.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- A gizmo that “turns your thumb nail into a track pad“.
- S’Mores Frappuccino.
- Star Wars-branded duct tape.
- 2D cartoon backpacks. (via maderr)
- Taco cannon.
- Ben & Jerry’s… beer. (via The Kitchn)
- “Everything you need to know about octopus wrestling“.
- “John Deere wants to be able to file copyright claims against the way you use your tractor“.
- Hockey players and their equivalent musical acts/artists.
- “20 emojis all Minnesotans wish existed“. (via stuffaboutminnesota)
- A little geeky coding humor. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
- Skeery rug!
Art for Kids: Drawing: The Only Drawing Book You’ll Ever Need to Be the Artist You’ve Always Wanted to Be by Kathryn Temple. Good basic overview of a wide variety of drawing concepts. I’ve tried a few of the exercises in my sketchbook and plan to try a few more before returning this book to the library.
The Gluten-Free Revolution: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know about Losing the Wheat, Reclaiming Your Health, and Eating Happily Ever After by Jax Peters Lowell. DNF. Not going to rate this. I didn’t realize it was the third edition of Lowell’s Against the Grain: The Slightly Eccentric Guide to Living Well Without Gluten or Wheat, which was a really important read for me after I was diagnosed with celiac disease in 1997. Lowell’s no-nonsense, seize-the-day attitude was so completely different from every other book about celiac and the gluten-free diet – it was refreshing and freeing. But I’m in a very different place now with the gluten-free diet and this time Lowell’s style was just rubbing me the wrong way.
“Don’t think I’m not keeping an eye on you, Mom!” -Chaos