Make sure you enter the contest for Fixing the Hole by Katherine Halle! Closes 7 pm CST, Tuesday, November 4.
Stop by and enter the contest for Cast the First Stone by Katherine Halle! Closes 7 pm CST, Monday, November 10.
Don’t forget to enter the contest for Semper Fi by Keira Andrews! Closes 7 pm CST, Monday, November 10.
Go enter the contest for Manipulation (Diversion #4) by Eden Winters! Closes 7 pm CST, Monday, November 10.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance) and Tor.com (scifi, fantasy)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Becky Black with 10 tips for NaNoWriMo.
- “Grown-up reading: Why romance and happy endings matter“.
- Read React Review with quotes from the recent author stalking a reviewer incident.
- Quote about censorship and kids.
- The 50 scariest short stories. (via wilwheaton)
- More cover snark from Smart Bitches.
- Cookie Monster as Harry Potter.
Think, Learn, Do, Make
- The New Yorker takes a look at the gluten-free diet and its sudden popularity beyond those of us with celiac disease. (via The Kitchn)
- From the wonderful Kris, “Being crazy: An insider’s view on ableist language”.
- 25 maps describing the US.
- Battery saving tips for most phones.
- 30+ sites offering free images.
- The communal coffee pot might be the germiest place in the office.
- What countries are larger than the state of Texas?
- Tim Cook of Apple is now the only openly gay Fortune 500 CEO.
- The 13 most influential candy bars of all time. (via The Kitchn)
- “Physical salary“.
- Chris Hadfield on how to take pictures from space.
- Listen to Carl Sagan talk about space.
- One migraineur’s perspective.
- “Why your cat thinks you’re a huge, unpredictable ape“. (via mental_floss)
- Copycat Starbucks pumpkin scones. (via essouffle)
- Pumpkin breakfast parfait.
- Baked oatmeal with figs and dates.
- Chocolate caramel apples.
- Chocolate treacle cake.
- Crunch bars.
- Carrot cake power bites.
- Bloomin’ baked apples. (via The Kitchn)
- Bloomin’ baked potato. (via The Kitchn)
- 14 potato recipes.
- Warm salad with pancetta and egg.
- Catalan roasted vegetables.
- Butternut squash gratin.
- Butternut squash and saffron risotto.
- Browned butter Nutella chocolate chip cookies.
- Hummingbird cake.
- Sweet potato browned butter rolls.
- Instant noodle cups.
- Roasted Hatch chile stew with sweet potato, corn, and lime.
Cool or Wha…?
- Knitted Cthulhu balaclava. (via CRAFT)
- Psycho’s shower scene recreated with carved pumpkins.
- T-Rex skull showerhead.
- “Scientists create sparkling apple that fizzes in your mouth“.
- People are taking “bear selfies”?!
- An eight-pound (3.6 kg) hamburger?!
- Americans trying the foods from Doctor Who.
- Halloween Cake Wrecks.
- xkcd on geese. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
- xkcd on the intersection of bees and servers. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
The Man with the Golden Torc (Secret Histories #1) by Simon R Green. Good paranormal thriller about Eddie Drood, the black sheep of a massive family that quietly protects the world from the supernatural. I was completely surprised by all of the turns this one took! *still boggled* This isn’t rated higher because there was an awful lot of exposition that felt unnecessary and at times unending.
“I wish the windows were open. Mom is mean.” -Mayhem