Linkity unexpectedly cut short due to fire alarm caused by someone breaking off a shower knob and flooding part of the building*
*Not the part I live in, fortunately. But the water was off for the whole building for a while. And two fire trucks showed up because the water shorted out part of the fire alarm system. But hey, I met a couple of neighbors I hadn’t met before while we were hanging out on the sidewalk… Then when we got back inside, Chaos needed a lot of comfort time in my lap to recover from the trauma. May was annoyed by the noise, but otherwise unperturbed – she didn’t even leave her spot on the couch. (I didn’t pack them in to their carriers because it was immediately apparent there wasn’t a fire, what with the water pouring out of the ceiling around the smoke detector in the lobby and all.)
- Becky Black’s giving away a selection of her books, including a paperback. Closes 18:00 GMT, October 14.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (romance), Tor.com (PNR), and Dear Author (romance)
- “Books are format neutral“.
- “65 wonderfully cozy reading nooks for book lovers“. (via emmaseasall)
- “The place fandom dwells: A cautionary tale“.
Think, Do, Make, Learn
- Learn about comets and the like via claymation.
- 1960s nature documentary (plus surrealism).
- Find out what’s new in neuroscience. (video)
- How tavern puzzle jugs were made.
- An 1894 short film with Annie Oakley.
- Photos from the US in the Depression.
- Butt dials are problematic for 911.
- “The beginner’s guide to becoming an NHL fan“.
- Elizabeth Warren doesn’t pull her punches.
- Sun-dried tomato, basil, and white bean burgers.
- Salmon cakes with creamy garlic sauce.
- 15 slow cooker dinners.
- 14 chicken soups.
- 10 muffin recipes.
- Spiced pear muffins.
- Chocolate hazelnut mousse.
- Pumpkin spice better. (via The Kitchn)
- Quick and easy pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.
- Quick and easy apple “dump” cake.
- Chocolate chip pie.
- LEGO Doctor Who.
- Van Gogh’s Starry Night made from dominoes.
- Custom journal I purchased and received in the mail this week. It looks even better in person!
- Short film shot through a water droplet.
- Animated 12 stages of a hero’s journey.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Weired Kit Kat flavors.
- Cupcake-flavored Oreos?
- Butt lamp. (Thanks, PD!) (NSFW?)
- shitexpress. (Thanks?, Lorraine!) (NSFW?)
- Simon’s Cat goes to the vet.
- 20 Halloween autocorrects.
- “10 commandments of Disney villains“. (via bronwyngreenauthor)
- Dressing for the seasons. (via daysthatfeellikeyears)
The Power of Neurodiversity: Unleashing the Advantages of Your Differently Wired Brain by Thomas Armstrong. Pretty good look at various types of neurodiversity (autism, dyslexia, schizophrenia, OCD, etc), how these traits might’ve been advantageous to our ancestors and thus survived in the gene pool, and how special education could be reshaped to take more of a difference view and less of a deficit view. While parts were quite interesting, the special education focus effectively distanced me from the book.
*won’t look at the camera* -Chaos