Make sure you enter the contest for King’s Conquest (Mending the Rift #1) (2nd ed) by Valentina Heart! Closes 7 pm CDT, May 5.
- Blodeuedd’s giving away an ebook copy of The Wedding Cake Tree by Melanie Hudson. Closes May 7.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance) and Dear Author (romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Lots and lots of book linkity from Book Riot. And more.
- Thoughtful book linkity from ReaderWriterVille.
- On the scamminess of Author Solutions. (via Emma Sea)
- “The romance reader’s guide to the Marvel cinematic universe“.
- “The problem with exceedingly long book series“.
- “Are romance readers lying to themselves?“
- “15 books with completely different movie endings“.
- “Male characters you would run from if they tried to date you“.
- Embroidered book art.
- Book quilt. (via maderr)
Think, Do, Learn, Make
- You can use blended white beans as a gluten-free way to thicken soup.
- Chili paste primer.
- “13 Pinterest accounts to follow for inspiring vegetarian food“.
- Craigslist “missed connections” broken down by state.
- Compare NYC to assorted other cities (and more) in size.
- Forty years of American home changes. (via mental_floss)
- What are the world’s happiest countries?
- Unusual holidays in May.
- Spring vegetable panzanella with poached eggs.
- Chickpeas, kale, and sausage with oven-baked egg.
- Roasted asparagus and ricotta pizza.
- Broiled steak and asparagus with feta cream sauce.
- The perfect guacamole.
- 11 recipes using pesto.
- 10 two-ingredient recipes.
- Smoked almond snack bars.
- One-minute snickerdoodle mug cake. (via The Kitchn)
- Lemon coconut cookies.
- Dark chocolate salted caramel pretzel brownies. (via The Kitchn)
- NPR music video about the Hubble Telescope. 25 years of the Hubble Telescope.
- LEGO ferris wheel.
- Short film about alchemy and life.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- R2-D2 pinball machine coffee table.
- Pie-chart style coffee table.
- You can now rent a goat from Amazon’s “Home Services”.
- Collagen-infused booze.
- Twinkie maker.
- Fake arm selfie stick.
- Wetsuit that looks like a business suit.
- “…[t]urn your dead relatives into perfume“. Or put their ashes into a dildo. (NSFW)
- Yes, please, I would like this Human v1.1 Hotfix Patch.
- Ah, mornings… (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
- What’s your Starbucks name? (via mental_floss)
- Sesame Street parodies Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- Working from home with a cat. (Thanks, Lorraine!)
The Sketchbook Challenge: Techniques, Prompts, and Inspiration for Achieving Your Creative Goals by Sue Bleiweiss. It’s very pretty, but I didn’t find it particularly inspiring.
The Complete Colored Pencil Book by Bernard Poulin. Ok book about colored pencil techniques.I found the demonstration sections more interesting in the basic technique sections near the beginning, but I merely skimmed the last few chapters, which covered advanced tips and tricks with extra focus on portraiture (the author’s specialty and not a particular interest of mine).
Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media by Heather Smith Jones. This had some good information about color theory and I’m going to actually try several of the projects from this one!
“Mooooooooom, you’re boring me. Do something interesting!” -Mayhem