Don’t forget to enter the contest for Media Naranja (Other Half) (Petit Morts #16) by Clare London & Jordan Castillo Price! Contest closes 7 pm CST, November 28.
Go enter the contest for Boats in the Night by Josephine Myles! Contest closes 7 pm CST, November 28.
Definitely enter the contest for Private Eye (Liaisons #1) by SE Culpepper! Contest closes 7 pm CST, November 28.
Congrats to Cori and Lilli, who each won copies of Honored Vow (Change of Heart #3) by Mary Calmes! Honored Vow will be released by Dreamspinner Press on November 21.
Congrats to Kelly, who won Texas Winter (The Heart of Texas #2) by RJ Scott! Texas Winter will be released by Silver Publishing on November 19.
Thank you for all the birthday wishes yesterday! 🙂 I took yesterday and today off from work and did absolutely nothing. Tonight, Jeanne and I are going to see The Mountain Goats play at the Fitzgerald Theater – Neil Gaiman is part the event, too.
- Cecile’s giving away backlist ebooks from Rachel Haimowitz, Aleksandr Voinov, LA Witt, Brita Addams, or Cat Grant. Read the contest directions carefully! Contests close November 18 at midnight, EST.
- Kindle-aholic’s giving away an ebook ARC of Carolyn Crane’s Head Rush (Disillusionists #3). Comment by 11:59 pm PST, November 20, for your chance to win.
- Joyfully Jay’s giving away a backlist ebook from Cat Grant. Contest closes 11:59 pm EST, November 21.
- Ava March, Harper Fox, Josh Lanyon, and KA Mitchell are having a scavenger hunt to celebrate the upcoming release of their Carina Press m/m Christmas anthology, Men under the Mistletoe. Go get the details on how to win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon or the ebook retailer of your choice! Contest closes December 2.
- CRAFT is giving away a Canon PowerShot S100 and a Shutterfly prize pack (cards, photo books, calendars, and more). Contest closes December 6.
- So last week’s AJ Llewellyn drama led to a larger discussion of transphobia and transgender issues. For me, this post by Aleksandr Voinov tied everything together.
- While the Nook Tablet has 16gb of memory, 15gb of it can only be used for things you download through Barnes & Noble.
- Although the Nook Table may not be rootable, you can root the Kindle Fire.
- You can also sideload apps on to the Kindle Fire.
- Unsurprisingly, the Big Six opted out of the Kindle Lending Library.
Do, Think, Make, Learn
- Earlier this week, Tumblr mobilized against the PROTECT-IP and Stop Internet Piracy Acts, which are far broader than their names suggest.
- The Department of Justice wants to make it a felony to lie on the internet. *blink blink* Is it just me, or does that sound crazily unenforceable?!
- If you have a tangle of cords that keep getting mixed up, you can make tags for them from a milk jug.
- Snickerdoodle cake. (via The Kitchn)
- Leaf print cookies. (via CRAFT)
- Coffee liquer (has gift potential!). (via The Kitchn)
- Crochet a Jane Austen inspired sweater from Austentatious Crochet: 36 Contemporary Designs from the World of Jane Austen. (via CRAFT)
- Crochet simple ornaments. (via CRAFT)
- Use up fabric scraps by making fabric pinecones. (via CRAFT)
- Portraits of pets shaking off water. (Thanks, Seanna!)
Cool or Wha…?
- As Bron noted, the Bieber Burger is not an acceptable use of bacon. (Thanks(???), Bron!)
- A woman sat in McDonald’s eating her burger while her car burned in the parking lot… then punched a cop.
- A man bought a used minivan from Thrifty and discovered that it contained a half million dollars worth of cocaine.
- Purple fashion fail. (possibly NSFW)
- Boar’s head balaclava. (via CRAFT)
- Did you know Humphrey Bogart played Frodo in 1944? (Well, no, he didn’t, but the mockup is alarming…)
- Where citations come from… (make sure you hover your mouse cursor over the comic for additional text)
- What your favorite map projection says about you. (again with the hovering)
- I would not put pajamas on either of my kitties, but especially not Chaos…
- Pygmy falcon! Kitten! Baby giant otters! Kitten! Duckling! Kitten! Buns! Cat and kitten! Tiger and cub! Kitten! Leopard! Lion paw! Puma! Tiger! Tiger cub! Serval and cub!
Stay the Night by Scarlett Parrish. ebook. Very good m/m romance about Kit, an awkward and antisocial computer programmer who is extremely attracted to his new housemate, but manages to push him away at every turn. Kit reminded me all too much of myself…
Boats in the Night by Josephine Myles. ebook. Very good m/m romance about a guy who’s not really doing so well since his boyfriend left him a month ago. He’s dealing with a hangover when he hears a bunch of noise at the base of his garden and discovers a broken-down narrowboat, with a most fascinating owner…
True Colors by Clare London. ebook. reread. (Totally reusing my original reviewette here!) This turned out to be a very good and intense m/m romance after a sort of shaky start â€“ I almost put the book away because there were so many different people introduced in the first few pages and I couldnâ€™t figure out who was important and who was peripheral. But in the end? Totally redeemed, because Clare London deftly tied in those seemingly extraneous introductory bits.
Where You Least Expect It by M. Durango. ebook. Very good m/m romance about a straight guy whose unlikely friendship with a cyclist he almost ran over has him very confused about his sexuality.
Closet (Todd Mills #1) by RD Zimmerman. ebook. Very good m/m mystery about a prominent and closeted tv reporter whose boyfriend is murdered… and he’s being set up to take the fall. As a bonus, it’s set in Minneapolis in 1995. 🙂
Reclamation (Dominion #2) by Lissa Kasey. ebook. Very good m/m paranormal romance in which Sei’s seeing a Dominion-ordered psychiatrist to help him work through the events of the last book, but he seems to be getting worse instead of better. I would definitely have enjoyed this book more if I hadn’t read the prologue – it made me too anxious to really settle into the story.
Consequences (Dominion #2.1) by Lissa Kasey. free ebook short. Good short m/m paranormal romance about Gabe messing with Sei a bit after Sei gets caught out while shifted.
Touching Wood by Kim Dare. ebook short. Steamy kinky short m/m scene about a dominant and submissive reconnecting with each other in their playroom.
Wight Mischief by JL Merrow. ebook. Good m/m romance about a guy who goes to the Isle of Wight to research ghosts with the self-absorbed journalist friend he’s fancied himself in love with for years… a fancy he reevaluates as he keeps running into a sexy and reclusive author with a creepy, domineering guardian.
Drive Safe by Sean Kennedy. free ebook short. Cute short m/m romance about a guy driving home through the outback who stops to help a drag queen whose car has broken down.
Congratulations Lucky Winner by LB Gregg. free ebook short. Madcap short m/m story about a hotel manager charged with storing two very unusual awards that are to be given out at conventions in the hotel.
Speed Dating the Slow Way by Chris Owen. ebook short. Steamy short m/m romance about two guys who become briefly reacquainted during a charity speed dating event, then reconnect some time later.
Pulled Long (Long Shots #3) by Christine d’Abo. ebook arc. Pretty good m/m romance about Ian, a coffee shop owner who’s been fascinated by and flirting with a handsome customer for months… until he found out the customer was in the process of getting divorced. As he didn’t want to be some straight guy’s rebound, he backed off. I was annoyed by the whole martyr thing that Ian had going on – that’s a trait that drives me nuts. If that doesn’t bother you as much as it does me, you might enjoy this more than did I.
Between You and Me by Willa Okati. ebook. So-so m/m romance about two guys who’ve been best friends since college and now, in their mid-thirties, are starting to realize why neither of them have found “the one”. This just never came together for me – the language was convoluted and the whole beach in the rain scenario… *shakes head*
Stroke the Demon by Eden Cole. ebook. Meh kinky m/m paranormal menage about an orphaned 18-year old who discovers that the mysterious benefactors who’ve been paying for his school and living expenses are demons, and that he was basically bred to be their sex toy. This was one of those stories that had way too much sex for the tiny amount of plot.
Love Revisited: Nash & Paul (Nash & Paul #2) by HC Brown. ebook short. I read this out of sick fascination to see if it was as bad as the first book. It was. Maybe worse. It’s hard to quantify levels of badness at this level.
Saving Tate by Will Banks. ebook short. This m/m short was just bad, from using the phrase “gay lifestyle” to the clumsy writing to the excess of poorly executed plot crammed into too-few pages. Not recommended at all.
A classic picture of Chaos from early 2004! How would you caption it? 🙂
26 thoughts on “Linkity: The post-birthday, pre-Thanksgiving edition”
Wow, you’re on fire with your reading this week! I enjoyed the M Durango story too. I love a good GFY :).
A recent post from Jenre..Review: Wight Mischief by JL Merrow
Visual dictionary: a mental cache!
Caption:: “Gene Simmons: I always look like this before I put on my makeup.”
A recent post from trek..In which prof trek offers extra credit
That’s a total 70’s album cover that Chaos is mimicking there! LOL.
The article on the 5 movie stereotypes was really interesting!
And you know. I did not know we are now issuing plastic $100 bills. Not that I’m ever in close contact with $100 bills…
A recent post from Brigitte..Presenting…
Chris- Chaos doing his Gene Simmons imitation?
A recent post from Lorraine..It’s Not Always A Good Thing
Belated happy birthday! I wasn’t online yesterday so I totally missed it. Sorry! Enjoy your night at the theater with your friend. 😀
A recent post from Janna..What I Learned, The moral and realistic argument & Happy Gay Friday
I’ve come for your soul.
A recent post from marji..armistice day
Now I understand why I can’t go grocery shopping without a list or walk into another room and remember why I’m there.
A recent post from margene..Overcast with 60%
Chaos: “I want to link you to death!”
A recent post from margene..Overcast with 60%
I <3 Shatner. 🙂
A recent post from Marsha..Vampire hedgehogs!
As usual, lots of interesting and fun stuff
And that is one scary looking kitty, reminds me of something, but I can’t quite grasp the memory
“Yeah, okay, I’m sorry. Now please pull this sock out of my throat!”
Pass on the underwear and the dress! Ugh, gross!
A recent post from blodeuedd..Review: Voodoo Dues – Stephany Simmons
OMG that picture of Chaos is amazing!!! LOVE IT!!!! I’ve been loving that Chaos has been getting more air time. Love me some May but missing the Chaos!!! (the feline version ONLY!)
A recent post from Lynn..Feline Fridays – the Princess Edition
Read Lissa Kasey cuz I met her at GRL and she was nice to me – and immediately downloaded EVERYTHING I could find by her. OMG. More, please!
And gonna have to read Closet just for the yummy cover. I always get all shivery over the kisses.
As for Chaos… My mind went to Gene Simmons, too, but gotta go with @K.Z. Those socks can be a killer! lol
A recent post from VJ Summers..Come See Me!
Great links! Bacon-blanket turkey: so wrong.
Chaos: This will scare Mom so much she will give me treats!
A recent post from Brenda..WIPs: now with 17% more texture!
Mooooom! I wasn’t ready!
The Peirce quincuncial map is fierce. Now I wish I’d seen Inception. I think.
Good to know you haven’t lost your touch with linkety at your advanced age! 😉
A recent post from Carrie K..Oodles of Woodles!
Ach. I really dislike the idea of so much whitewashing going on in the movies, but this is sort of a catch22. A movie company has to be willing to make a movie with strong actors and actresses of all races (for some reason the race issues brought bothered me the most) and then market it. I’d go watch it. Heck, I might make the effort even if it was universally panned just to encourage them to be more diverse. I’d love my SAG friends who have disabilities (but are white) to get more screen time too, so it isn’t just racial diversity I’m interested in.
A recent post from Seanna Lea..knitting something new?
Happy slightly belated birthday! And although I’ve never tried to dress my kitties, Simon lets my sister dress him. He’s a silly kitty boy…
A recent post from janna..Well, hello there!
Linkity! I can’t believe you managed to compile the linkity on your birthday! You rock!
I hope you have a wonderful time at the concert!
As for the Chaos photo… *thinks*
‘Possessed? What gives you that idea?’
A recent post from orannia..Books 2011: October Update
Just entered the Men Under The Mistletoe competition. I so want this anthology! Santa always used to give me a Christmas anthology in my stocking. Last year was the first time I had a m/m Christmas anthology and I loved it. And reading these excerpts – can’t wait to read the novellas! They sound so good! *gush*
A recent post from orannia..Books 2011: October Update
I love being able to blame it on door! Is that related to Minnesotan’s weird propensity to stand in doorways and block them when they are talking to someone?
A recent post from Mary Lou..Recap Wrap Up Move on
It’s not that I’m late wishing you a Happy Birthday. Oh no, indeedy. I’ve simply been waiting for to you get here so you could blow out the candles (burnt down to puddles) and slice the cake (hard as a nail, and that’s just the whipped cream icing) and open your present (did you drive off in it while I wasn’t looking? Well, anyway, it’s gone) while I sang Happy Birthday (I bet that’s why you stayed away, huh). Oh well, Happy Belated Birthday! I have to go sweep up some confetti.
ROTFL! Make lying on the internet illegal?! It unenforceable unless you need an excuse to arrest someone.
Ah ha! The doorway thing explains why when I forget what I was going to do, I have to go back to the room where I started to remember.
Plastic money just doesn’t seem right.
The sunken pedestrian bridge is cool.
I so don’t understand fashion.
I have ripped window screens from Peeping Tom (the neighborhood cat) peeping in my windows.
I like my blood too much to try putting jammies on Katie. 🙂
As for Chaos: “How is this for the Gene Simmons look-alike contest?”
A recent post from Sydney..RIP Zoe Ferret, 2002-2011
Hmm I want to make pumpkin pie now…
Jane Austen arsenic link is really interesting. I wonder how many people died of that?
A recent post from mrspao..Making Monday: Charmed
Poor kitty wearing the jammies…
Those pecan pie muffins look great! We live a block and a half from a very old school movie theatre — no 3D, no digital, no fancy sound. We love it! It’s actually one of Ebert’s favorite theatres in Chicago.
A recent post from Jodi..going great guns