Congrats to Matthias, who won End Game by Jennifer Brooks!
Congrats to Tina, who wonÂ Snow on the Mountain (The Mountains #2) (2nd ed) by PD Singer! Snow on the Mountain is being released today by Dreamspinner Press.
Congrats to Ladypessi, who won Texas Heat (Texas #3) by RJ Scott! Texas Heat will be released by Silver Publishing on August 18.
Congrats to Ami, who wonÂ Nothing of a Son by L.A. Witt! Nothing of a Son will be released by Amber Allure on August 19.
- Mrs Condit is giving away an ebook copy of the Lashings of Sauce anthology. Not sure when this one ends, but the odds were pretty good when I grabbed the link.
- Charlie Cochet’s celebrating her birthday with a contest – comment on any of the birthday posts through midnight EDT, August 18, for your chance to win.
- jmc with two great posts: “If you can’t afford an editor, you shouldn’t be publishing” and “Afterthoughts“.
Think, Do, Learn, Make
- Half-fat chocolate made with… fruit juice. Hmm. We’ll see.
- Spinach salad pizza. (via The Kitchn)
- Aurora Jungle Juice (looks like outer space). (via The Mary Sue)
- Gluten-free chicken, carmelized onion, and rosemary red potato BBQ pizza. Speedier than it sounds, since it uses Udi’s delicious frozen pizza crusts.
- Interesting article about sourdough bread, but I’m dubious about certain of its claims. I’ll wait for some more rigorous scientific studies/tests, thanks. (via CeliacChicks)
- Sew your own bike panniers. (via CRAFT)
- Two of my photos: Powderhorn Art Fair and clouds over Lake of the Isles.
- Linkity from Fiction Vixen.
Cool or Wha…?
- Cthulhu purse. (via The Mary Sue)
- If you’re familiar with Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and you think Romney and his running mate seem awfully familiar…
- On human subcultures. (Make sure you hover your cursor over the comic for additional text.)
- “When will we forget?” (Again with the hovering.)
- Horse! Jaguars! Black cat and kitten! Black kitten! Lioness and baby! Lion and baby! Baby cheetahs! Baby tigers! Tiger and baby! Donkey and baby! Herons! Flamingo and baby! Kitten! Baby panda! Baby tiger! Kitten! Polar bear and baby! Kitten! Baby ocelot! Baby lion! Baby cheetahs! Tigers! Kitten! Polar bear and babies! Baby plover! Kitten! Baby snow leopards! Baby turtles! Baby tawny frogmouths! Baby otter! Baby penguins! Kitten!
Blind Eye (Benjamin Justice #5) by John Morgan Wilson. Very good gay mystery in which Ben’s been given an advance to write his autobiography and is trying to track down a priest who made a big impression on his preteen self… These mysteries are good, but Ben goes through so much… and so much of it he brings upon himself.
Moth and Flame (Benjamin Justice #6) by John Morgan Wilson. Very good gay mystery in which Ben is hired to finish a brochure for the city of West Hollywood after the original writer was murdered. I realized after finishing this that the really horrific things have happened to Ben in the odd number books (excluding the first), so now I’m nervous about reading book 7…
Rhapsody in Blood (Benjamin Justice #7) by John Morgan Wilson. Very good gay mystery in which Ben and Templeton stay at a hotel notorious for being the location of the murder of movie star 50 years ago and the suicide of her daughter 25 years later. Templeton’s there to report on a film about the movie star’s life being shot at the hotel… and then things get messy.
Into the Flames by Mel Bossa. ebook. Engrossing but disturbing gay literary fiction in which Bossa skillfully pulled together her seemingly disparate plot threads. I’m still not sure what I think about this book. On one hand, I did sit down and read it straight through. On the other, I’m absolutely sure I’ll never reread it and I was reminded why I don’t particularly enjoy literary fiction. Your mileage may vary…
Connecting Flight (Turbulence #4) by Jordan Castillo Price. free ebook short. Very good short paranormal m/m romance in which we get to see both Paul and Dallas on their home turf after returning from Bermuda.
Locks of Love: A Modern Gay Fairy Tale (2nd ed) by Jordan Castillo Price. ebook short. Good short m/m fairy tale about a guy who can convince locks to open… but there have to be doors for his talent to work.
Hot August Nights by Kate Roman. ebook short. Ok short m/m romance about a grad student from New York who’s in Austin, Texas, for a week-long spring vacation and meets the cowboy of his dreams. This was very instalovey, which just didn’t work for me.
Can you figure out this Mayhem puzzle?! The white spot is on her chest, if that helps…