No post on Monday, as it’s a holiday in the US. I haven’t decided if I’ll do the Misadventures on Tuesday or not. Probably not, because there are already three contests scheduled for next week. 🙂
- Bronwyn Green’s giving away an ebook copy of Anna Mayle’s recently released m/m romantic suspense, In the Shadow of a Hero. Comment before July 6 for your chance to win.
- Shawn Lane’s giving two commenters the chance to win both of her forthcoming m/m romance ebooks: Lost Between and Hitting It Big. Contest runs through July 8.
- Book Lovers Inc is giving away a print copy of So Sensitive by Anne Rainey (US & Canada) or an ebook copy from Anne’s backlist (rest of the world, plus second place winner). To enter, answer the question by July 11.
- New releases and more: Elisa (LGBT June releases), Tor.com (YA paranormal/UF-PNR/fantasy/science fiction), All About Romance (July romance audiobooks),Â Book Lovers Inc (romance & more), Desert Island Keepers (romance etc), and Literary Escapism (UF/PNR).
- Air fresheners with excerpts of best-sellers on them, to get people more interested in reading (starting with their bathroom reading material…). (via The Digital Reader)
- The Twin Cities Feline Rescue Book Fair will be August 13-14. You can drop off books starting July 17.
- Jennifer Armintrout/Abigail Barnette looks at ebook piracy without getting stuck in the “every illegal download is a lost sale” mindset.
- Harlequin’s increasing the digital royalty rates it pays its authors, and answers some questions about the change for Dear Author.
Think, Do, Learn, Make
- A study found that cars with new or redesigned 2011 models were less reliable than models from previous years.
- Gluten-free chocolate cake with raspberries and dark chocolate frosting. (Jeanne’s laughing, because she knows I hate fruit combined with chocolate, other than chocolate covered strawberries or cherries.)
- Zucchini season approaches/arrives (depending on where you live).
- The song “The Battle of New Orleans” as a LEGO animation. (Warning, contains scenes of violence against British persons; may not be suitable for all viewers.)
Cool or Wha…?
- The History Channel’s looking for people to joust on tv for money for a new show called Full Metal Jousting…
- Chocolate LPs that actually play… sounds really messy and warranty voiding.
- Back hair art… (Thanks?!, Bron!) (Best not to imagine what those photos would look like when viewed using Hairrrr…)
- Furry mice only have tails for about two minutes around here.
- Kitten! Fox kit and mom! Kitten! Ducklings! Kitten! Hedgie! Kitten and mom! Sloth! Kittens! Penguins! Kittens! Big spotty kitty (leopard?). Kitten! Ferret! Kitten! Young cheetah! Kittens! Baby tiger! Kittens! Penguins! Kitten! Lamb! Kitten! Bat-eared fox kit!
Static by LA Witt. ebook. Excellent m/m romance about a guy who doesn’t realize his girlfriend is a shifter (able to shift between female and male) until after her extremely religious parents force her to have a gender freezing chip inserted, which leaves her stuck in her male form. This book really got me thinking on the complexity of gender.
In the Shadow of a Hero by Anna Mayle. ebook. Excellent m/m romantic suspense about a guy who’s been on the street for a long time, as something of a vigilante, and a cop who starts to see the depth of the man behind the grime and bruises. This was complex and involving and will stay in my head for quite a while…
Convincing Leopold (Convincing #2) by Ava March. ebook. Very good historical m/m romance following up with Arthur and Leopold three months into their relationship, as failure to communicate is causing some problems. Far from frustrating me, that failure to communicate made everything feel very realistic – not a Big Misunderstanding, but the slow accumulation of stuff from everyday life.
Handcuffs & Pretty Things (Rawlings Men #8) by Kim Dare. ebook short. Good short kinky m/m romance about one of the Rawlings cousins who is not a cop. This needed to be longer!
Bourbon Street Blues (Scotty Bradley Mysteries #1) by Greg Herren. Good gay mystery about about an unrepentantly slutty personal trainer and go-go dancer who inadvertently comes across some information that someone’s willing to kill to retrieve.
Bear Like Me by Jonathan Cohen. ebook. Pretty good humorous gay fiction about a writer, fired from a trendy gay magazine, who decides to go undercover into the gay bear culture in order to gather material for a book. While the humor of this book just didn’t quite work for me, I believe it will for other readers – particularly those more familiar with real-life bear culture.
Let’s Get Familiar by Amylea Lyn. ebook short. Cute short paranormal m/m romance about a guy without any magical ability who’s feeling lonely because his witch mother and sisters keep scaring away his boyfriends. Then he rescues a giant black tomcat from a storm and tells it all his problems…
On My Knees by Tristram La Roche. ebook. So-so short m/m romance about a guy who, after a row with his wife, realizes he’s gay while talking with a guy he met at the gym. While I really liked the first-person narrator’s voice, the story was all over the place. Insta-love was the final straw.
“I do not have forehead ridges! Mom, what did you do to my fur?! I thought you were just scritching my head!” -Mayhem