- Win enough Euroflax yarn to knit a tank top from Drop Dead Easy Knits, plus a Kollage needle. Closes midnight (not sure of timezone) August 13. (via Yarnerinas)
- Linkity from Smart Bitches.
- Linkity from Inkophile.
- “Queer plot removed from VE Schwab’s book by Russian publisher“.
- Easily turn an old book into a letter or postcard holder.
- Book sculptures.
- Animated vintage textbooks.
- “How to tell you are in a contemporary m/m romance“.
- Oh, snap!
- Happy update on that Little Free Library!
Learn, Do, Make, Think
- Free aeronautics ebooks from NASA. Apparently this is the NASA spot today, so here’s NASA’s response to a 9-year old’s job application.”
- “That’s not sad, that’s awesome“. NASA on Curiosity’s five years on Mars.
- “Making totally inaccurate historical claims and then getting humiliated by historian @MikeStuchbery…“
- “How fossil fuel money made climate change denial the word of god“.
- Major climate change report was leaked so it couldn’t be covered up by tRUMP and minions.
- Learn fancy towel folding with the help of a small white dog.
- “50% of Canadians live south of the red line“.
- Learn how vinyl records are made with Adam Savage and Jack White.
- The NHL and the Dallas Stars oppose the proposed “bathroom bill” in Texas. GOOD.
- Timelapse of LA traffic.
- “An inside view of ADHD: What your doctor probably didn’t tell you“.
- 50 tomato recipes.
- 20 long-lasting make-ahead lunch recipes.
- 16 quick dinner recipes.
- 12 recipes that turn sweet potatoes into dinner.
- 10 foil packet chicken recipes.
- Pesto chicken salad.
- Honey-garlic chopped chickpea salad.
- Fruit galette.
- 10 quickish summer fruit desserts.
- Homemade copycat KIND bars.
- “…[E]xquisite bonsai trees with miniature origami cranes for leaves.“
- “These are the voyages of the 1970 Volkswagen Bus Enterprise“.
- The adventures of Human-Steve.
- “Become your ancestor’s wildest dream“.
- Yes, this. Body realism ftw.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- “Hundred-year-old Antarctica fruitcake found in ‘excellent condition’“.
- A wood-burning camp stove that can recharge your phone.
- Apparently the Statue of Liberty is now a tool of liberalism or somesuch. :facepalm:
- No, burritos don’t need to be topped with pop rocks.
- Ya think?! “Walmart says ‘Back-to-School’ sign should not have been posted over gun case“.
- Oh, gosh, whoopsy.
- If you want your own large inflatable tRUMP chicken…
- tRUMP’s childhood home is on AirBnB.
- “Driverless” vehicle with driver dressed as the driver’s seat.
- xkcd on geologic faults. (Hover cursor/long-press for caption.)
- Truly scientist hell.
- “AirBnb reviews for Castle Dracula“.
- “Some alternative voting systems“.
- Target from the perspective of a Canadian.
- When you ask the NASA tumblr about space…
- On Cthulhu and wedding etiquette.
- Autocorrect and moving.
The Confident Creative: Drawing to Free the Hand and Mind by Cat Bennett. Ok look at using drawing as a sort of mindfulness meditation. Definitely a book and reader mismatch on this one – I read the whole thing, but I was annoyed at it/about it most of the time. YMMV.
Black Mould (The Rivers of London Graphic Novel #3) by Ben Aaronovitch. Very good continuation of the series in which Peter and Sahra are on the trail of some particularly lively black mould… According to the timeline in the back, this takes place after The Hanging Tree and before The Furthest Station.
Sidney Crosby: One of the NHL’s Top Scorers by Jeanne Nagle. Maybe I can’t rate this fairly, being pretty far out of the target audience (grades 5-8). It seemed kind of disjointed to me. But I did learn some bits of Sidney Crosby trivia I hadn’t known before, which was cool.
The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill. Excellent young adult fantasy novel about (wait for it) a girl who drank the moon. 😀 Recommended. (And from a Minnesota author!) I’m already on the list at the library for more of her books.