Congrats to Melanie M, who wonÂ Shattered Glass by Dani Alexander!
Congrats to Tawnie and Chava, who wonÂ Mine by Mary Calmes!Â Mine will be released by Dreamspinner Press on March 5.
If you blog on blogger and you want to get back the subscribe to comments by email function (please please please), you have to switch to the embedded comment form.
- Becky Black is giving away an ebook copy of her freshly released Higher Ground. Contest closes 9 am GMT, March 3.
- Joyfully Jay is giving away an ebook copy of A Life Without You by Erica Pike. Contest closes 11:59 pm EST, March 4.
- Babes in Boyland is giving away an ebook copy of Stroke! by MJ O’Shea. Make sure you read the directions when you enter the contest, which closes at 9 pm PST, March 4.
- Pants Off Reviews is giving away an ebook from Anne Brooke’s backlist. Comment by 12:00 am EST, March 6.
- Blodeuedd’s giving away two copies of The Rogue Pirate’s Bride by Shana Galen. Contest closes March 8. US & Canada.
- Joder’s giving away an ebook copy of Freestyle Love by Marcus Lopes. Contest closes 11:59 pm CST, March 10.
- New releases and more: Elisa Rolle (LGBTQ), Tor.com (UF, genre benders, scifi, fantasy), Literary Escapism (UF/PNR), and Book Lovers Inc (a little of everything).
- Author Harry Turtledove is going to tell a terminally ill fan how the series of his she loves will end. (Thanks, Bron!)
- “One Million Moms” tried to get the gay wedding issue of Life with Archie (#16) removed from Toys’R’Us. Despite their efforts, the issue’s first printing has already sold out.
- Dear Author has a nice summary of the PayPal erotica debacle. The Digital Reader wonders whether PayPal will loosen its restrictions.
- More plagiarism, including accusations of plagiarism in the m/m romance community. A very good post about that. The author responds. Dreamspinner press responds (it’s in the area under “Welcome to Dreamspinner Press”) and is offering Bear, Otter, and the Kid as a free download so people can evaluate the book themselves.
- Laddie ponders differences of opinion and readers being treated disrespectfully in the m/m romance community.
Do, Make, Learn, Think
- Starting in 2013, songs that were copyrighted 35 years ago will begin reverting back to the original artists. This makes record labels very unhappy, and I’m sure we’ll hear a lot about attempts to change the law this year.
- Exercise energizes your brain and makes you smarter. Or you could sniff rosemary instead. (I have no idea what would happen if you sniffed rosemary as you exercised. Go cautiously.)
- Unsurprisingly, the CDC has discovered that sugar, particularly in processed foods and sugary drinks, is making kids fat.
- A study found that women overestimate their weight, men underestimate their weight, and men overestimate the weight of their partners…
- Granny square cookies. (via The Kitchn)
- Batman nesting dolls. (via The Mary Sue)
- Stained glass TARDIS. (Thanks, Bron!)
- A highlighter that fades after five months so it’s easier for students to sell back their textbooks… too bad it doesn’t exist yet.
Cool or Wha…?
- A guy was joking about a 55-gallon tub of lube on Facebook and his joke got turned into an ad for the product… an ad that all his friends see when they log in.
- Wisconsin legislators repealed a law that ensured women could not be paid less than men for doing the same job.
- I hope Austin went into Witness Protection… The columns are numbered, to help you follow the thread. (Thanks, Bron!)
- What MPR’s Bob Collins saw when he looked at the proposed design for a new Minnesota Vikings’ stadium.
- 10 autocorrect dating fails. (possibly NSFW)
- If you’ve always wanted to be a crazy cat lady or guy and simply didn’t have enough cats, there’s hope!
- Baby clouded leopard! Baby cheetah! Black leopards! Tiger and baby! Lioness and baby! Tigers! Kitten! Lioness and baby! Baby lynxes! Baby cheetah! Tiger and baby! Baby cougar! Kitten! Lion and baby! Fennec! Black jaguar and baby (via Bron’s Pinterest)! Baby tern! Ferret! Kitten! Kitten! Cat and kittens! Otters!
Taking These Chances by Karuso Tendo. free online. Very good paranormal m/m romantic suspense about a college student who helps get psychic predators off the streets… and then one’s after him.
Out of Orbit by American Schokolade. free online. Very good m/m romance about a high school senior who has a crush on his best friend, although it takes him a while (and a lot of angst) to realize it. This story had plenty of over-the-top moments (satellites and spies and baseball memorabilia, oh my!), but it pretty much worked anyway. I got sniffly more than once.
When Love Walked In by Charlie Cochet. ebook short. Very good short historical m/m romance set in 1934 about a private detective who helps out a homeless man he finds sleeping in the stairwell.
Of Sweaters and Heartache by LyingOutLoud. free online. Very good short m/m romance about a guy who unexpectedly runs into the ex who left him to take a job in France and doesn’t react well. I got a bit sniffly reading this one.
Just Friends by Natasha5. free online. Very good m/m romance about two high school seniors who have been best friends since they were small. Now love professed but not returned and a girlfriend are coming between them…
Johnny Was (Just Friends #2) by Natasha5. free online. Although the description says there’s more than one story here, there isn’t. The extremely short story is just a scene that takes place 11 years after Just Friends.
Love, Coffee, and a Giant Problem by aggybird. free online. Very good fairy tale m/m romance based on Jack and the Beanstalk… but it’s not complete and was last updated in 2009. Woe!
The Grave Watchers by Missouri Dalton. ebook. Good m/m urban fantasy with a hint of romance about a Grave Watcher, who helps protect the dead from the living, and his ancient Egyptian feline sidekick as they track down an evil they’ve not seen before.
Educating Alex by Ardveche. free online. Very sweet m/m romance about a college student who advertises for a roommate after he breaks up with his boyfriend and is surprised when a straight guy he knows from school wants to move in. Too many exclamation points!!
Creative Employment by Noel Blue. free online. Good m/m romance about a newly hired manager who knows he shouldn’t, but hooks up with the irresistible straight, confused, engaged IT guy anyway.
In Theory by Sirivinda. free online. Good m/m romance about a straight guy who keeps running into this strangely intriguing guy everywhere he goes… and then wakes up to find himself hungover in the guy’s bed. The ending really felt like it was HFN – I’d definitely like to read a bit more about these two.
One Dead Drag Queen (Tom & Scott #8) by Mark Richard Zubro. Good gay mystery in which Tom is injured when a family planning clinic he volunteers at is bombed. The beginning of the story was from Scott’s POV (a first!) and the last half was from Tom’s. I understand why it was done that way, but I would’ve preferred sticking with Scott for the whole thing.
Loose Snow by Julia Talbot. ebook short. Good short m/m romance about two guys who work together for a forestry service and were briefly together. And then one of them nearly dies in an avalanche…
“What if I go to sleep and when I wake up, all my furry mice are gone?!?!” -Mayhem
22 thoughts on “Liminal linkity”
Oh, I hadn’t realised that blogger thing. I don’t actually like the embedded comments form because it was more glitchy than the other types of comment forms :(. Just for you, sweetie, I’ll switch to it :). Yet another reason for me to switch to WP.
Lots of free online stories this week! I’ll have to check those out.
A recent post from Jenre..Review: Treasure by Megan Derr
Oooh, freebie stories.. always a plus… but there goes my weekend!
Poor Mayhem… you should take at least one mouse to bed with you, just to make sure :o)
A recent post from Kate..LiAW – Research and plotting…
DYAC is always a fun way to kick off a Friday of grading homework assignments 🙂
A recent post from trek..In which Pipey delivers
Mayhem- Chris will get you more mousies.
A recent post from Lorraine..Kittyspin
There is a old Irish saying that Rosemary will only grow in the garden of a house where the woman is in charge. Does that mean we are smarter, too?
A recent post from Mary Lou..This Old Sweater, Part Two: The Buttonband
Ah linkety, how you do gobble my morning! (But I love it.)
A recent post from PD Singer..Editorial follies
Thank you for posting the crocheted RuPaul doll – I was able to use it to help cheer someone up who was having a terrible day. 🙂
Also, I love the little girl who imprisoned the Coraline book. 😀
A recent post from Bronwyn Green..Saying Goodbye. Again.
Lots of awesome and fun stuff, I need to have an origami Yoda 😀
I don’t suppose I can get counted in advance for next weeks giveaways? I’m going on holiday 🙂
We have a rolling pin over the doorway into the kitchen. It’s in honor (?) of my deceased MIL, who used to chase her 3 boys around the house with a rolling pin, whacking them with it if she could catch them. (Lacking a rolling pin, she would also use the heel of her wooden-heeled slippers, a frozen leg of lamb, or whatever else happened to be handy.)
A recent post from Cheryl S…February Sky
What is up with Wisconsin anyway?
Thanks for the BiB contest shout out! 😀
It took me all day to read your Linkity List. I did pick up a few hints and some lovely recipes.
Mayhem, Mom and Chaos will protect your fuzzy mice!
A recent post from margene..Between Blue and Gray
Poor May. Maybe she should get in touch with the dog who worried abt his bone.
A recent post from Lynn..Ignore the rumors………..
Thank you! I will have to get through those bookity links. There’s a lot going on in the m/m world that’s for sure.
As for One Million Mums? Seriously…don’t they have anything better to do?
And the sheep mug mats are so cute 🙂
May – I’m sure your mother won’t remove the furry mouse. Chaos on the other hand….
A recent post from orannia..Tinkering
I want to have that Tardis wedding cake
A recent post from blodeuedd..Review: The Three Colonels: Jane Austen’s Fighting Men – Jack Caldwell
I love those granny square cookies and the sheepy coasters! 🙂
The story about the rescue kitty saving that lady’s life is pretty amazing.
A recent post from mrspao..When Tabby came for tea
OMIG, that origami Yoda is so freakin’ cute!! I bow down to whoever made it. Kidlet likes doing origami and wants me to do it with her. Trying to follow the instructions in an origami book… :-O My origami dogs never come out looking remotely like dogs.
I wasn’t aware of the changes in blogger’s comment form, but now that you mentioned it… so I set mine to the embedded form today. And maybe next week you can ask kindly if everyone can turn off the captcha thing. 😉 It’s so much more annoying than word verification, don’t you think?
I’m not sure if I want to click on all the links about the latest controversy in m/m land… I don’t think I’m ready for all the nasty comments yet. *g*
And thanks for all the links to free stories. I have some catching up to do, since they were all new to me. 🙂
A recent post from Janna..Happy Gay Friday & Sort of On Hiatus
Re the wealth/ethics thing, I just re-watched “Sense & Sensibility” the other night, and in it is proof that this is not a new trend.
I totally believe the Kickstarter stats, as I just participated in a drive which raised over $1,250,000.00 for reprinting a webcomic. Kinda hard to argue with those numbers.
And May, if when you wake up all your fuzzy mice are gone, just let me know. I’ll send you more.
A recent post from Nicole..An Otherworld Reading Challenge
Thanks for the linkety! I wondered where all those people were coming from…
I knew there was a reason I liked rosemary.
Seriously, records of when I bought food?! I’m lucky to actually buy the food, no way I’m going to make a record of it.
Cute sheep mug mats!
If I actually wore aprons, I might be tempted to get a super hero apron. 🙂
I’m not sure which is worse – that the 5th oldest tree got burned down or the picture of the woman who did it. They should use that picture in anti-meth ads.
Katie loves to bat around milk carton rings and twist ties.
A recent post from Sydney..RIP Zoe Ferret, 2002-2011
Thinking seriously of growing rosemary this year – I could use a brain boost!
Did you make the gf snickerdoodles??? Inquiring minds likes less carbs in her cookies if they still taste good.
A recent post from cursingmama..It isn’t always all about the destination, sometimes it’s the drive