Congrats to Su, who won the copy of Someplace To Be Flying by Charles de Lint! Make sure all of you stop back on Tuesday, June 8, for a very special Charles de Lint contest….
- EH is giving away an assortment of romances (including some paranormals) to readers who live outside the US and Canada. Leave a comment by midnight UTC, June 21, for your chance to win.
- Anna’s celebrating her third blogiversary by giving away an assortment of paranormal romance and urban fantasy if you leave a comment before June 30.
- The Rainbow Romance Writers (RWA LGBT Special Interest Chapter) is accepting submissions from June 1 – August 31, 2010, for the 2010 Rainbow Romance Award for Excellence in Romantic Fiction. Categories are contemporary, paranormal, romantic suspense, historical, scifi/fantasy, YA, and short/novella. To be eligible, submitted works must have been published in 2009 and have an ISBN.
- Sweet Vernal Zephyr mentions new contests daily and keeps a list of contests in her sidebar. All Things Urban Fantasy had over a hundred urban fantasy related contests this week.
- New releases and more: Lily (m/m romance), Renee (UF/PNR), Literary Escapism (UF/PNR, interviews, etc), and Elisa (LGBT).
- Dear Author had a nice list of links Wednesday.
- Curious about what the top 25 blogs for librarians are?
- Is it more likely that you will read a book from your TBR (to-be-read) piles/files, or a freshly acquired book? (Me? I’m all about the “oh! shiny! new book!”)
- While my Misadventures in Stock Photography feature the male form, Miranda’s found some covers of a particularly popular female cover model.
- For a free paranormal m/m romance read the likes of which you’ll not soon find, check out Tam’s Chia Pet Hell.
- What’s behind our switch away from physical media? For me, it’s the delight of not adding more stuff that takes up space and needs to be dusted. (Quit laughing, Jeanne. I dust. Annually.)
- A book collector wonders how ebooks can compete with the wonders of a signed paper book.
- Ebook Ant is a new ebook search and comparison site.
- You can now buy ebooks from Penguin at Amazon again, but the pricing is completely bizarre. So bizarre, in fact, that it inspired TeddyPig to write about how publishers promote piracy through silly pricing.
- TeddyPig also wonders why the whole price fixing agency pricing model is Amazon or Apple’s fault – maybe we should be pointing to the traditional publishers instead.
- Borders is now selling an ebook reader for $120… too bad it’s not rated better.
- Speaking of ratings, Consumer Reports took a look at ebook readers.
- Charlie Stross reviews the iPad and thinks it feels like a “magic book.”
Learn, Do, Think
- Coffee doesn’t actually make us more alert?!? Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
- Congrats to Sir Patrick Stewart!
- Gizmodo had an interesting comparison of Google (Android) and Apple and their approaches to computing and connectivity.
- Whoa. Check out the stats on internet p0rn that Online MBA put together in a handy infographic.
- Find out which sunscreens Consumer Reports liked.
- Domino’s now sells gluten-free pizza in New Zealand. Wow. Pretty sure we won’t see that here for a while…
- If you have a Maytag (or one of numerous associated brands) dishwasher that you bought between February 2006 and April 2010, you should check to see if it’s on the recall list before it burns down your house…
- Sony’s just come up with a tweeting-cat device…
Did You See?
- I had a rare second post of the day on Wednesday, which included a picture of me being used as a climbing gym by Mayhem.
- My goodness, being manly certainly looks dangerous, if it entails battling giant flesh-rending… otters.
- Before you start looking for the key to this graph of math you’ll actually need to use, read the Math Topics axis…
- The Oatmeal takes on Twilight – make sure you watch the video, too. Hee hee. (If you’re a huge Twilight fan, you might want to skip it…) (Thanks, Julia!)
- Beware of helpful computer programs.
- CJ discusses all the words she can’t remember how to spell. (Warning: Even if you don’t start out having trouble spelling these words, you might after reading the post.)
- Can you determine whether you’re actually dealing with a mad scientist?
- My results of the classic dames test and classic leading man test (how could I resist trying both?) were Katherine Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart, respectively.
- O noes! Poor scared little castle.
- Chaos would be in heaven if I actually put a dirty dish in the sink.
- Minion wannabes! Make sure you word your requests to Basement Cat very carefully.
- Sorry, kitten, I don’t believe you.
- What if Cheech and Chong were cats?
- Charlene Butterbean, you are adorable.
- The Consumerist Friday Flickr Finds featured cats last week.
Dark Designs (Half Lives, Book 1) by Luisa Prieto. ebook. Excellent m/m dark fantasy romance about a Pulitzer-winning journalist haunted by a horrifying event he can’t quite remember and a graphic novel artist who has been drawing strips that he believed were fantastical, but which may be echoes from a previous life. Deft and complex, this book drew me in slowly until I realized I couldn’t put it down. Do be aware that things are not at all resolved by the end of this book. *commences waiting impatiently for Book 2*
The Rest Is Illusion by Eric Arvin. ebook. Wow. I don’t even know where to start. This excellent novel is about a group of college students who are all, without necessarily knowing it, poised at the brink of transformation. It’s thoughtful, spiritual, ultimately hopeful, and worth savoring; I’m very glad to have read it.
The Mark of an Alpha (Pack Discipline, Book 1) by Kim Dare. ebook. Very intriguing paranormal m/m romance that takes the standard alpha werewolf trait of dominance and mixes it up with bondage and submission. Plus it was nice not to read a fated mates story for a change. I’m definitely reading more in this series as they are available.
Turquoise and Leather (Collared, Book 1) by Kim Dare. ebook. Very good kinky m/m romance about a dominant who’s not sure he wants to take on a very chattery untrained submissive.
Lights and Sirens by Stephani Hecht. ebook. Very good m/m romance about a nurse who has a crush on a straight paramedic, but is pretty sure he doesn’t want to take that path to heartache.
Blood on the Ice by A.M. Riley. ebook short. Very good short paranormal m/m romance about a hockey player who gets bitten by a vampire.
Bad Angels: Falling by Belinda McBride. ebook. Ok m/m fantasy m/m romance about a fallen angel and the member of the Fae who teaches him what he needs to know to live in the world.
Ghost of a Chance by Jude Mason. ebook short. Ok short paranormal m/m romance about a guy who discovers that the house he’s just purchased has a ghost… a very amorous ghost, tied to a mystery. Yup, that’s Underwear Guy!
Melting Ice and Melting Ice 2 by D.J. Manly. ebooks. So-so unrelated m/m romantic suspenses about deeply closeted law enforcement agents who “thaw” under the attention of the wrong guys. By the end of each book, I wanted to slap characters.
“This is my box and my very special cushy mailing envelope that I dragged in here and placed just so.” -Mayhem
35 thoughts on “Fit To Be Linked”
Yes I saw the pic of mighty Mayhem climbing, what a conqueror.
Loved the creepy cereals!
I’m going to have nightmares about those man-eating otters!
.-= EyreÂ´s last blog ..This Makes Me Think of Chris =-.
I clocked the time I spent on your post: 54 minutes. And then I even skipped a few links. ;D
I got all teary eyed looking at the kitty pics. Maybe hubby and I need to have this talk…
The ebook pricing links were interesting. I don’t think there’s one single ebook buyer that’ll pay $ 27.99 for an ebook.
.-= Janna ErotRomReaderÂ´s last blog ..Fan Letter To Shayla Kersten =-.
Because only the best for May. I spent a huge amount of time enjoying the heck out of this post, Chris. Thanks!!!
.-= CindyCindyÂ´s last blog ..It is Friday. Does this week make my butt look big? =-.
I didn’t see your post, as I thought it was Bloglines messing up again. Mayhem looks like she know how to get around your body. Do you always carry your camera? Will you mail Mayhem to me since she’s already in the box?
.-= margeneÂ´s last blog ..Packing it All In =-.
Thanks for the shout out.
Yay Patrick Stuart and that porn chart is interesting. Those pervs in Illinois. *shakes head*
I will NOT show my daughter the math chart because she’ll use it to lobby for not taking math next year. LOL
I haven’t read many of those. Have the AM Riley one and am TRYING to buy Stephani’s but still no luck this morning. Sigh. Well, better get off to work.
.-= TamÂ´s last blog ..Chia Pet Hell =-.
OK, that Franco is just unreal. Heh, there’s a picture there that make me think of what Malcolm and Gandalf would have looked like had they been kittens at the same time! (Oh man…the destruction…)
Yay for Captain Picard!!
.-= BrigitteÂ´s last blog ..Summertime Fun =-.
a vampire gay hockey player? holy crap.
.-= furiousballÂ´s last blog ..my beautiful ballerina =-.
I LOVE Patrick Stewart with his ohsosexy accent and proper posture and ohmygod the way he goes all Shakespeare and shit. Sigh. Don’t you just wanna like his shiny, bald head? Bet he’s vanilla bean.
That otter thing is… just… so… icky. But the ‘oh noes’ castle was adorable. How twisted is that? And *pats* there there, May–I understands the allure of the cushy thingy that smells of other cats and a couple of houseapes.
Chris- That’s one of the things I have a phobia about, leaving dirty dishes in the sink.
I can’t stand the thought of it.
.-= LorraineÂ´s last blog ..The Summer of My Discontent =-.
Thanks for the mentions!
Mayhem, looks like there is enough room in there to squeeze another kitty…
.-= MirandaÂ´s last blog ..Bookish Breezes =-.
Hey honey! Wow you always seem to amaze me with all the linkage you provide us with!! Thanks hon!
Some of them were quiet amusing!!!! LMBO!!!
Mayhem.. are you trying out for the position of Basement Cat in the Box? You look adorable honey!
Yayay its Friday!!!!!!
My husband mentioned earlier this week that there was a cheaper eReader available at Borders. I’m of mixed opinions about the Aluratek. It’s nice that it has more formats available (than the Kobo, which is what I’ve been looking at), but it has horrible battery life and fairly low internal memory. I don’t know if their version of an LCD screen would be more irritating than the eInk screen or a normal LCD.
.-= Seanna LeaÂ´s last blog ..the farmer’s market =-.
LOL. Thanks for the shout out! And wow, thanks to Sony, My cats are going to be more social media savvy than you soon! Yah!
.-= Carolyn CraneÂ´s last blog ..I am hidious! =-.
Loved the math chart. It’s so true!
I think you should create a new book review rating system going from
“Couldn’t put it down” to “Wanted to slap characters.”
I love Sir Patrick. There’s just something about him that gets to me. 🙂
Great links as always. I don’t care what they say about coffee, I’m not alive until my second cup. Thanks for the mention.
.-= LilyÂ´s last blog ..The Back Stairs by KC Kendricks =-.
Wren, I think that rating system should go from “Bitch-Slap” to “I’d have his babies.” 🙂
.-= EyreÂ´s last blog ..This Makes Me Think of Chris =-.
Eyre: No, that would be Kris’ rating system!
I noticed that second post on Wednesday – I just thought I was really late to the reading. I would also like to crawl into that little box with the kitty and sleep.
I love the shot of your kitty climbing over you. Cats are so entertaining! I could watch that Oatmeal video over and over again, just like a kid with a cartoon! Makes me laugh every single time.
.-= Julia Rachel BarrettÂ´s last blog ..Happily Ever After Reviews: Captured, a recommended read! =-.
Kiddo Balls? omg that’s hilarious!
Tam’s story was very funny. Chia Pets – who’da thunk it?
I liked Blood on the Ice too – pretty darned cute.
Now I’m gonna have to put those first few books on my tbb list. You are NOT good for my pocketbook woman!
.-= TracyÂ´s last blog ..M/m Reading Challenge Review: Lord of the White Hell by Ginn Hale =-.
I would have to say Tamyra and Sirius surely must rate too in the cute kitten-ness! 🙂
Hmm tweeting kittens..
“Scaled the greenhouse didn’t dislodge any plants this time better luck next time”
.-= mrspaoÂ´s last blog ..The faces of cute =-.
Dang about the coffee. my sister says some Godfathers around their area (Iowa) sell gluten-free pizza.
You can barely see May in that box, its like kitty camoflouge.
.-= RebekahÂ´s last blog ..Happy 25th Anniversary â€“ Happy Graduation â€“ Happy Friday =-.
Wait, not only are there man-eating otters but there are man-eating weasels too!
I don’t care if coffee doesn’t make me more alert. No one is taking my coffee away. 🙂
I knew there was a lot of p0rn on the internet but I had no idea it was that much.
LOL! Loved the Twilight video!
.-= SydneyÂ´s last blog ..The "Be Careful What You Wish For" Post =-.
Awesome photo of May!
.-= NicoleÂ´s last blog ..DMMIJGTSATBCSUITOS* =-.
LOVE the pic of you and KittenBritches. 😀
And zOMG – I remember eating Freakies as a kid. I’d forgotten they’d even existed!!!
Forgot to say – loved Tam’s story and of course the Oatmeal!!! 😀
I’m a ‘ooh, shiny!!’ type of gal, too.
Jean Luc Picard was knighted? How did I miss that?!? Yes, yes, I used to be a bit (…okay, more than a bit) of a Trekkie. Jean Luc is the Man! *fan girl squee* I followed the link and I loved that episode of Extras with Patrick Stewart. Absolutely frickin’ hilarious. Though I will say the episode with Daniel Radcliffe tops it. If you have’t seen it, you really have to. And now I’m in the mood to watch it again (I have the 1st season on DVD – it’s that good).
Took me a while to work through the links, but I made it to the other side alive! 😛
Thanks for the linkity!
I haven’t made it through the links yet, but I’m coming back tomorrow 🙂
I can’t wait to read Luisa book – it sound so good (m/m + dark fantasy = *happy dance*). And oh I like the sound of Kim Dare’s books. I’ve been looking for some m/m BDSM. OK, that’s not right…I’m always *grin* looking for m/m BDSM.’
And Domino’s are selling gluten-free pizza here? Excellent!
May – you looked like you’re plotting something 🙂
Oh, and I would normally be the shiny new book, but saying that I’m finally reading Shalador’s Lady even though I picked up Magic Bleeds from the library. That’s next though 🙂
.-= oranniaÂ´s last blog ..Author Fan Letter Blog Crawl =-.
I guess it depends on your school system, but I find that algebra and geometry are more useful than people tend to think. Says she who is attempting basic home improvement stuff. (On the new place.)
.-= naomiÂ´s last blog ..eye candy friday =-.
Mad scientists v. mad engineers: so true!
.-= naomiÂ´s last blog ..eye candy friday =-.
Coffee may not make me more alert, but it certainly makes me happy each morning!
A recent post from Jodi..exile in boxville
Katherine Hepburn here as well.
A recent post from mary lou..Oh Yes, Eyas!