Congrats to Tracey D, who won the ebook copy of Keeping Promise Rock by Amy Lane! And thanks again to Amy for donating the book. 🙂
- If you take this short survey on ebooks and ebook readers, you’ll be entered for a chance to win $250 toward ebooks or an ebook reader.
- Both Renee and Lea are giving away copies of Carolyn Jewel’s new historical romance, Indiscreet. Renee’s contest closes at midnight PST, February 5, andÂ Lea’s contest closes early morning, February 6.
- Seductive Musing’s giving away a copy of Beth Kery’s new erotic romance, Release. Contest closes 11:59 pm EST, February 6.
- Donna (Fantasy Dreamer) is giving away a copy of Jennifer Estep’s Spider Bite. Contest closes midnight CST, February 6.
- Anna’s giving away five copies of Larissa Ione’s newest Demonica novel, Ecstasy Unveiled. Leave a comment by February 9 for your chance to win one.
- CursingMama’s giving away a copy of Liza Palmer’s novel, A Field Guide To Burying Your Parents. Answer CM’s question in the comments by 10 am CST, February 10, for your chance to win.
- Book Junkie’s giving away a signed copy of Vampire Vacation by CJ Ellison – leave a comment by February 15 to enter the contest.
- SciFiGuy’s giving away a copy of Rachel Vincent’s new young adult paranormal, My Soul To Save. Contest closes midnight EST, February 15.
- If you mention Julie James’ forthcoming romance, Something About You, on your blog before 1o pm CST, February 28, you could win a $100 gift card or signed books. I really enjoyed her first two books and am looking forward to this one!
- Abigail of All Things Urban Fantasy has her list of 75+ urban fantasy/paranormal romance contests posted for the week.
Book & Reading News & Views
- The February edition of Jackie’s Escapist Newsletter is out and as full of information and contests as ever. Donna (Fantasy Dreamer) lists this week’s new urban fantasy and paranormal releases, along with assorted contests. And of course,SciFiGuy’s Urban Fantasy Weekend Report has all sorts of good tidbits in it, plus his overview of February releases will help you plan your book budget for the month.
- Janet at Dear Author wondered whether authors have ethical responsibilities beyond their books.
- The Amazon/MacMillan debacle distracted much of online booklandia over the weekend and beyond. As a result of that, Smart Bitches wonders whether you have brand loyalty to a publisher, or to the author?
- TeleRead has a discussion of the pluses and minuses of giving away free ebooks.
- Interesting comparison of six much-hyped ereaders.
- Does the iPad cost too much, compared to other options?
- These clever bookcases make me wish I had some rafters!
- I’m a big fan of the journals that Oberon Designs makes, but I only recently realized that they make gorgeous ebook reader covers. They’re specifically sized for Kindles, Sonys, and the Nook. I’ve sent them an email to see which cover they think might work for my Hanlin V3/Astak EZReader…
- Kris has tossed out a challenge to m/m readers who might be in a reading rut to try an m/m style or sub-genre outside of your comfort zone, then write a review. The challenge ends March 17 and everyone who participates will be eligible to win a $20 All Romance eBooks voucher.
- Learn how to make your very own three-pendulum rotary harmonograph! (Remember spirographs? We had the Kenner version.)
- Is lack of computer access keeping you off your exercise equipment? Check out the DIY PVC laptop stand.
Things That Amused Me
- Want to cash in on the current craze for mashing up classic novels and paranormal elements? Paperback Writer introduces the Mash-O-Matic. (Am I the only one who thinks that maybe things have gone too far with Little Women and Werewolves?)
- The book on modern camping (1971) that Awful Library Books found gave me way too many flashbacks to childhood camping trips, although we were a lot lower tech.
- Technically humour, but I sure felt sad after reading this depiction of Spirit’s last days.
- Chaos would definitely do this to Mayhem.
- And I wish Chaos would heed this advice.
- Aw, the Knitting Princess’ kitty reminds me of Mayhem.
Keeping Promise Rock by Amy Lane. ebook. The only reason I didn’t spend half of this m/m romance sobbing my eyes out is because I took frequent breaks when I started to get wound up. 🙂 Parts of it were gut-wrenching. And parts weren’t. As a whole, this was a powerful, excellent read that I highly recommend.
Quinn’s Hart by Cassandra Gold. ebook. Why, yes, this is the ebook I just won at Jessewave’s. 🙂 This was a really nicely done m/m romance about two wildly dissimilar guys who get to know each other on a singles’ trip to Disney World.
Why, Why, Zed? by Leigh Ellwood. ebook short. Ok, having never flown into Toronto, I totally didn’t get the pun of this title until I read the quote from Neal Pert at the beginning. (Toronto’s airport being YYZ.) This was a so-so m/m romance, although I will confess that the ending surprised the heck out of me.
Footprints and Just Like in the Movies by Clare London. ebook shorts. For some reason, these short m/m romances (the first about two guys who are part of a counter-terrorism team and the second about two hostage negotiators) never fully engaged me – maybe it was the somewhat reserved first person narrative?
A Stranger’s Touch by Anne Brook. ebook short. I have to confess that this m/m tale about a prostitute and a mysterious stranger who delves into his psyche mostly just confused me.
Healing Doctor Ryan by Carol Lynne. ebook. Ok m/m romance about a cancer patient who asks his doctor out after completing treatment.
Lift Me Up by Rayne Auster. ebook. Cute m/m romance about an IT geek who ends up with a broken ankle when his cute neighbor trips over him in the hallway. I got a little frustrated with the dense language now and then, mostly because my brain was in the mood for fluff. 🙂
Thaw in Winter and Darling Brat by Kate Steele. ebook and ebook short. Thaw in Winter was agood m/m romance about Mark, an architect who saves Joe’s life when he’s injured while camping. Joe and Mark are attracted to each other… but Joe can’t remember why exactly he’s wearing that mysterious wedding band on his ring finger. I liked this one a lot, until the point at which the first book stopped abruptly, leaving unresolved a plot point that had been played up quite a bit. I then discovered that there was a short second book, which resolves that plot point. Grrr. I would’ve been happier for it to all be in one book… and maybe it was at one point.
Out of My Mind by M. L. Rhodes. ebook (reread). Well-done m/m romance in which a recently divorced police officer struggles with his growing attraction to his (work) partner/best friend.
Promises by Marie Sexton. ebook. Very good m/m romance about two guys, one gay and one not, in a small Colorado town who become close friends – this was all about letting your fears constrain your life and how good it can feel whenÂ you finally stop doing so. Recommended.
JackMagic by Jillian Snyder. ebook short. Nicely done short m/m romance about a guy who gets dragged to a sexy magic show (part of his sister’s bachelorette party) and bumps into the magician outside between acts.
Private Property by Chloe West & Audra Beagle. ebook. So-so m/m romance about an author with writer’s block who takes a hate to a guy who shows up on his doorstep, claiming the house is his. I found the three main characters annoying and wanted to slap them all. That never makes for a happy reading experience… for me, at least!
“That was really mean of Mayhem. This box doesn’t make my butt look big! This box rocks!” -Chaos
41 thoughts on “Chaos re-butts… :)”
I LOVED my Spirograph!
Maybe I need a laptop holder to get me back to working out; I wonder how many strange looks I’d get at the gym?
Basement Cat Jr. is cute, but not as cute as you, Chaos! 🙂
.-= JulieÂ´s last blog ..What’s This? Knitting? On a Knitting Blog? =-.
LOL Chaos – that box does ROCK!! Nice coverage….
Chris – thank you for the mention and for all the linkage and reviews. Excellent post as always.
Hope your day is good – it’s freaking freezing here!
I had a Kenner Spirograph too!
I love Basement Cat Jr.’s first day of school, hee hee!
.-= BrigitteÂ´s last blog ..Crazy Crazy =-.
You need a tougher skin, Chaos. Can’t let the little make you feel inferior…you’re a tough guy, right?
.-= margeneÂ´s last blog ..Fr-r-rida =-.
Are you using windows 7? Do you like it? Not that I will ever leave my mac…
.-= mary louÂ´s last blog ..Pom Pom Tools =-.
Great post title! Thanks for all the links, I saw a few interesting ones that I will visit when I get home.
You made me curious about ‘Promises’ and I added it to me to-buy list 🙂
.-= ErotRomReader JannaÂ´s last blog ..January Round-Up & Catching Up on My Reviews =-.
Why must you keep introducing me to new webcomics to follow? *sigh*
Thank goodness for Google Reader.
Fantastic post…thanks for all the wonderful links…learned some new things about eReaders…had some laughs…and read some interesting articles!!!
.-= KaraÂ´s last blog ..BIP – To Do List =-.
Don’t they at least feel the air currents on their butts to tell them they’re not all the way hidden? Anyway, I think this is one of the cutest cat pics ever. And all the links! You are a font of info.
.-= Carolyn CraneÂ´s last blog ..Things I’m looking forward to: exciting-to-me releases, a hunt, a vacay! =-.
I love the idea of rafter bookcases! So cool.
Oliver was standing beside me as I scrolled down this post and when I got to the book covers he said, “Look, Mummy. Chestis.” Which is his way of saying chests – he adds an ‘is’ to things to make them plural.
Chestis. Yes, baby, look at those chestis. Mmmmm.
Maybe I’ll do it this way for the books:
* Have it, must be in a tissue mood to tackle it
* Wanna get it now. Thanks.
* Haven’t read it
* Haven’t read them
* Haven’t read it
* I tend to steer clear of Carol Lynn because it usually involves insta-love.
* I seem to have liked this more than most people
* I wanted to kick his ass more often than not, I think there’s a sequel coming
* Have it waiting
* I’ll pass thanks.
Loved those bookshelves but kind of a PITA to get to your books.
Chris- I loved Spirograph, but always got annoyed when you were really into a multicolor thing, and the pen slipped, or your ink ran out.
The dreaded Snuggie- Laura has one.
.-= LorraineÂ´s last blog ..Food Facts =-.
OH wow… thanks for the heads up on everything! And the links to the baby kitties is to cute. Thanks for sharing!
And Chaos, think outside the box!!! LMBO! I had to ~ Basement Kittie told me to say that.. or was it Ceiling Kittie!
I don’t remember which, I am so addicted to LOLcats…
So much info, so little time…
And dang, now I have to go buy that book. But the fact that you had to take breaks to keep from sobbing worries me. I get caught up in the emotional, too.
.-= wrenÂ´s last blog ..Handcuffed Hottie in a Hood, part the third =-.
“Leave your comments on the contest post…”
I’ll leave my comments where ever I please.
.-= furiousballÂ´s last blog ..certified jack-ass =-.
My older sister would totally have pulled that jellybean trick on me.
.-= Cheryl S.Â´s last blog ..Shauna Progress =-.
I love the rafter book storage idea!
.-= JodiÂ´s last blog ..hooked =-.
I hardly know where to start in this linkfest.
I shudder to think what happens in Little Women and the Werewolves. Probably keeping Beth alive as a werewolf.
Why, Chaos, you are looking cute, almost cuddly today!
.-= BrendaÂ´s last blog ..FO: Nubby Cardigan =-.
Thanks for the mention, Chris!
I keep meaning to hunt down a Spirograph for my son. I loved mine so much, and it seems like it’s something he’d really enjoy!
So glad you enjoyed Amy Lane’s book so much. I really liked her paranormal, Vulnerable, and have been meaning to get to If I Must on my tbr. Keeping Promise Rock sounds like one to add to my tbb list!
.-= ReneeÂ´s last blog ..A chat about Indiscreet, plus a Giveaway =-.
I don’t particularly want my classics mashed with werewolves, zombies, sea monsters, or anything else, thanks. To me these books all seem rather like fanfic…
And I bought “Silent Night” by Kim Dare last night and finished it before bed. (Who am I kidding? I finished it *in* bed when I was supposed to be sleeping…) Very enjoyable, thanks for the author rec!
.-= NicoleÂ´s last blog ..February Goals =-.
I definitely have more loyalty to authors (and cover artists) than the publishers, but most of the time any changes between the author and the publisher go right over my head. It’s only when I get the book home and prop it on the shelf next to the other ones that I realize that they weren’t done by the same publisher.
.-= Seanna LeaÂ´s last blog ..some mornings =-.
Totally agree with Liza Daly’s 7 deadly sins of ebooks.
Those bookshelves are a good space saving idea.
I really liked the Reader covers but they’re a bit pricey. Think I’ll keep my current cover and use that money for more ebooks. 🙂
Super cute kitties!
Since I didn’t win Keeping Promise Rock will have to go buy it soon.
Quinn’s Hart sounds good, already on TBB.
I liked YYZ and thought the ending was great.
Haven’t read the next 5, did read Thaw but not the sequel yet.
Haven’t read the last 4.
Wow, you managed a lot of reading this week.
Have a great day!
.-= LilyÂ´s last blog ..Finding love… by a lake or in a bar =-.
I have to tell that I really wish there was more information in your posts. Your lack of choices is astonishing. Seriously – did it take you like a week to write this? lol
Entered two contests *grumble* and now want to add several books to my tbb list. Dammit. Also – Private Property? I think I’ll put off reading that one after seeing your thoughts.
.-= TracyÂ´s last blog ..Review: Surrender of a Siren by Tessa Dare =-.
Loved this one
â€œThis book didnâ€™t work so well for me. Other readers might really enjoy it”
And that it meant the book sucked donkeyballs, haha.
.-= blodeueddÂ´s last blog ..Library Loot =-.
You got it, Chaos. Keep your butt IN the box.
.-= kmkatÂ´s last blog ..Talking cat. =-.
I am trying to figure out if that laptop stand will work for me…I think it might and I know just the person to build it 🙂
Thanks for the mention!
Well after wi-fi detecting t-shirts at http://www.thinkgeek.com of course you need a bumper sticker doing the same.
Chaos what a nice collection of toys you have in that box.
.-= RebekahÂ´s last blog ..Look! Iâ€™m Knilting =-.
Those Swedish stamps are so cute. Loving those cat links and those inventive places for book shelves.
.-= mrspaoÂ´s last blog ..Sweet wake ups =-.
Are these Thurday post getting longer and longer…
By the time I get through the links – I am done…
As for the books… I have to go buy that Amy Lane book…
I have heard only good things about it….
I have read Rhodes, Steele, Lynne and London.
One thing I must say though – these covers are becoming so overused… That Brookes cover – so used…
Good week …
.-= Erotic HorizonÂ´s last blog ..Discussion Point â€“ Comments â€“ You do Know That Itâ€™s a Two Way Street? =-.
Thanks for the challenge pimpage. 🙂
.-= KrisÂ´s last blog ..things that make you go O_o =-.
There was a spirograph at my grandma’s house – the cousins all fought to play with it! And that camping book – that’s way nicer than the camping my family did in 1971! Where are the sleeping bags on the leaky tent floor????
.-= jannaÂ´s last blog ..Knitting =-.
Oh I had a spirograph! I loved it.
The xkcd depiction of Spirit’s last days kind made me sad too.
I love love those Swedish stamps!
.-= SydneyÂ´s last blog ..Rip Rip Tink Tink =-.
I love the 10 lies of a romance blogger. I LMAO when I read it. Still laughing!
Thanks for the mention! But I don’t know about any book budget. At least not for me, I always end up blowing it. 😉
yes, Chaos, dear one, the box rocks.
and you, dear Chris, have now become officially the queen of electronic networking.. I have never ever seen so many links..
(head spinning, must walk away from computer screen now)
.-= TeyaniÂ´s last blog ..thoughts. 1 =-.
I do like your reviews, short and on the money!! Have my eye on KPR 🙂
.-= SarahÂ´s last blog ..Stuff =-.
I’ve just read a good review of Keeping Promises Rock and have it on my TBR list. Tissue requirements noted 🙂
.-= oranniaÂ´s last blog ..Why I Love Josh =-.
Loved the romance bookblogger lies. I’m painfully familiar with most of these, myself! 😀
Chaos – I don’t think your butt looks big.
.-= DottyÂ´s last blog ..recipe for warm hands =-.
Those Top Ten Lies of Romance Bookbloggers? Could apply (with some adjustments) to us all I think.