- It’s Rock Star Week at Joyfully Jay and there are lots of prizes. All contests close 11:59 pm EST, February 11.
- Kmkat is giving away a skein of Twisted sock yarn – go read the fine print for how to enter the contest, which closes midnight CST, February 11.
- Janna’s giving away an ebook copy of Immortal Valentine by Ellis Carrington. Winner will be announced on February 12.
- Blodeuedd is giving away a copy of Branded by the Sheriff by Delores Fossen. Contest closes February 14.
- Literary Escapism is giving away two $25 All Romance Ebooks gift certificates and Julia Talbot is giving away a $10 Amazon gift certificate. Make sure you read the contest rules before you comment! Contest open until February 28.
- New releases and more: Literary Escapism (UF/PNR), AAR (romance), and Book Lovers Inc (bit of everything).
- The big news of the week was an RWA chapter deciding to exclude same-sex romances from its writing competition… despite same-sex romances having won in that competition before. When the shitstorm hit, the chapter reacted by canceling the competition entirely.
- Go vote in the Sammies for your favorite Samhain Publishing books of 2011. Voting ends March 19. (via LA Witt)
- Piper Vaughn & MJ O’Shea have released a free ebook called Beyond Moonlight, which contains three Moonlight Becomes You short stories.
- RJ Scott and other Silver Publishing authors have stories available in a Silver Shorts free read anthology.
- You can download the free Valentine’s ebook short, Getting It Right (Life Lessons #1.8) by Kaje Harper, from The LL’s Word.
Think, Do, Make, Learn
- Scientists believe they’ve found the first multicellular animal, from which all other animals (including humans) evolved.
- If you read blogs and you aren’t using a feed reader to do so, check out ReadReactReview’s introduction to feed readers.
- Not that you can tell from the blog, but I’m really into music. 🙂 This week, I’ve been listening to Shearwater’s forthcoming album Animal Joy streaming on NPR. Love (and preordered) it!
Cool or Wha…?
- Kitten! Egrets and babies! Cat and kitten! Tiger and baby! Tiger and baby! Baby tigers! Baby tigers! Lioness and baby! Cheetah and baby! Tiger and baby! Black leopard! Baby polar bear! Kitten! Baby clouded leopard! Kitten! Baby emu! Baby otter and kitten!
Cinder (A CinderFella Story) by Marie Sexton. ebook. Excellent fairy tale m/m romance based on Cinderella. It was cute and sweet and left a smile on my face.
The Rebuilding Year by Kaje Harper. ebook. arc. Excellent m/m romantic suspense about a firefighter who was seriously injured in a fire a year ago and is now going to med school. When he falls down some stairs on campus, the head groundskeeper comes to his rescue and they slowly become friends. What made this book so amazing was how it felt organic to me – the story slowly built and grew and developed… and that worked really, really well. Recommended. Comes out March 6 – and look for a contest here the week before. 🙂
Beyond Moonlight (Lucky Moon 1.5) by Piper Vaughn & MJ O’Shea. free ebook collection. Excellent collection of three short stories that take place after Moonlight Becomes You, but before the forthcoming The Luckiest. The first one tied up a loose end from Moonlight, and the second two bridge into The Luckiest.
Fall into the Sun by Val Kovalin. ebook. Very good m/m romance about two guys who were best friends and then lovers when they were growing up, until one of them broke the other’s heart. It’s 20 years later – is this a second chance? Or will fear and family split them apart again?
Shattered Glass by Dani Alexander. ebook. Very good m/m romantic suspense about a guy with a fiancee and a trust fund who works as a police detective and uses humor to keep people at an emotional distance. But for some reason his defenses start to break down when he sees a beautiful young man working at a diner… wearing bunny slippers. This is one wild ride of a book! In fact, I hid in the bathroom at work to finish reading because I couldn’t wait until evening to see how things turned out. Definitely looking forward to reading the author’s next book.
First Impressions (2nd ed) by Josephine Myles. ebook short. Very good short m/m romance about an artist who becomes fascinated by the guy wearing a suit and crazy socks who he sits across from on the train every day.
Like the Taste of Summer by Kaje Harper. free ebook short. Very good short m/m romance that flashes back to how a long-term couple got together.
Tougher To Love by Diana DeRicci. ebook. Good m/m romance about a deeply closeted motorcycle mechanic who unexpectedly becomes the guardian of his teenage niece…. and fascinated by the cop who brought her back into his life.
Why Isn’t Becky Twitchell Dead? (Tom & Scott #2) by Mark Richard Zubro. Good gay mystery in which high school teacher Tom is asked to help out a student accused of murdering his girlfriend. I really enjoy the dynamic between Tom and his partner Scott.
The Only Good Priest (Tom & Scott #3) by Mark Richard Zubro. Good gay mystery about Tom and Scott getting involved in the investigation of the suspicious death of a priest who ministered to the gay community. This one was kind of all over the place…
Chicago by Shae Connor. ebook short. Good short m/m romance about a guy who finally realizes that his older, mostly long-distance boyfriend is a jerk and dumps him. And then he meets an absolute sweetheart of a guy…
Under One Roof by Diana DeRicci. ebook short. Good short m/m romance about a writer who rents out part of his house to a cop newly moved to the area. Neither is aware the other is gay as they mutually lust after each other.
Fire Balls by Tara Lain. ebook. Good m/m romance about a flamboyant artist with a crush on a hunky firefighter – a hunky firefighter who, though gay, stays away from flamboyant guys, even if he finds them attractive.
Packing Heat by Kele Moon. ebook. Steamy m/m romance about a firefighter who thinks his straight cop roommate is going to want to move after their drunken makeout session…
“So itchy!” -Chaos