Congrats to Karl A, who won Galley Proof by Eric Arvin! Galley Proof is being released by Dreamspinner Press today.
Congrats to Cayce, who won Noble Metals by L.A. Witt!
- Joyfully Jay’s giving away an ebook copy of Six Degrees of Lust by Taylor V. Donovan. Contest closes 11:59 pm EST, January 13 (aka today).
- Carefully read the contest rules and directions at Book Reviews & More to discover how you can enter to win Galley Proof by Eric Arvin. Contest closes 5 pm MST, January 15.
- Tracy’s giving away a box filled with m/f historical romances. Comment by 7 pm PST, January 17, for your chance to win. US only.
- Blodeuedd’s giving away two copies of Sins of the Highlander by Connie Mason and Mia Marlowe. Contest closes January 19. US & Canada only.
- Tracy’s looking for urban fantasy and PNR recommendations. Comment by 7 pm PST, January 20, for your chance to win a mystery box of UF/PNR books. (US only for the contest.)
- New releases and more: Literary Escapism (UF/PNR), AAR (romance), and Book Lovers Inc (a little of everything).
- Book and publishing news and linkity from Dear Author and ReadReactReview.
- Find out more about the real Quileute tribe (versus the fictionalized version from Twilight).
- Book sculptures. (May not be suitable for especially sensitive readers.)
- If you haven’t watched the Joy of Books video yet, you really should… even if it does take a dig at ebooks at the end.
- Brief Encounters Reviews will be interviewing Jordan Castillo Price on Monday and Tuesday next week as part of their Vamp Week. Rumor has it that Jordan will be giving away a bundle of the new Channeling Morpheus releases, too. Put it on your calendar! (Have you checked out Jordan’s diagram of the dorm room in GhosTV, plus her diagram of how Vic and Jacob’s home is laid out?)
- The Beat Your Winter Blues Blog Tour starts on January 18 – the grand prize will be a $200 gift certificate to the “e-tailer of your choice.”
- I didn’t realize that plagiarism was such a big problem on Amazon. (Thanks, Val!)
- Beware of knockoff ereaders and tablets. (And I’d further suggest that if you see a great deal on Woot! or the like, take a few minutes to go read reviews on reputable tech blogs – a lot of crappy tech gets dumped on “deal” sites.)
Think. Learn. Do. Make.
- As someone who’s owned nothing but Olympus cameras, I found this news discouraging.
- Make your own lip balm. (via CRAFT)
- How to make unicorn poop (cookies). Of course they’re rainbow-colored and sparkly. 🙂
- Nilla wafers. (via The Kitchn)
- Chicken and waffle wings. (via CRAFT)
- Sew a stuffed penguin. (via CRAFT)
- Sew a stuffed Hobbes. (via CRAFT)
- Crochet Spock ears… (via CRAFT)
- Star Wars needlework on Han Stitched First. (via CRAFT)
- Crafting, food, and photo linkity from Kristi the Fiber Fool. Crafting, food, and cat linkity from mrspao.
Cool or Wha…?
- TARDIS purse. (via The Mary Sue)
- Excellent point! (Thanks, Jeanne!)
- Kitten! Fennec! Kitten! Cygnet! Kittens! Lioness! Kitten! Tiger! Gentoo penguin and baby! Lion and cub! Lion and cub! Baby black leopards!
The Violet and the Tom by Eve Ocotillo. free ebook. Excellent kinky historical fantasy m/m romance about a pleasure slave gifted by a king to his unwilling son, who is uncomfortable owning a slave for reasons that slowly become clear…
The Angel of 13th Street by Eden Winters. ebook. reread. Excellent m/m romance about a bar owner and former rentboy who, with help, turned his life around and now helps other young men get off the street and out of the life… and then one of his rescues really starts to get to him.
The Gallows Tree by RJ Scott. ebook. Very good paranormal m/m romance about a guy who hasn’t stayed anywhere very long since his abusive ex got out of prison. When he goes to England to oversee the renovation of an old cottage, he realizes he’s hearing and seeing things and starts to wonder if he’s finally snapped. I liked this one despite there being a stalker. 🙂
Squeaky Clean by Kim Dare. ebook short. Good kinky short m/m story about a guy sitting on his couch, working on his laptop, who’s startled by a window washer. Inspired by an email I sent Kim last summer. 🙂
The Fix (Whitetail Rock #2) by Anne Tenino. free ebook short. Good short m/m romance following up with the recently graduated but underemployed Nik and his cop lover Jurgen.
Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Aspergers Syndrome by Rudy Simone. This was a book that definitely gave me a lot to think about… because even though I’m positive my computer design engineer father has Aspergers, it never occurred to me until recently that I might have it. I’m now pretty sure that I do – the reasons are too numerous to list, but having had the same breakfast for the past 20+ years and finding my weird pattern-matching ability described as “fluid intelligence” and an Aspergers savant skill… Yeah.
I also had a lot of trouble with this book because it seemed too touchy-feely, without enough references beyond the author’s other books. And then I hit a sentence that exponentially increased my resistance to the book: “…depression exists because there’s a problem in your life.” Oh, hellafuckno – sometimes it does, to be sure, but sometimes it’s a purely biochemical sort of thing that you have little control over.
Psychic Moon #1 by MD Grimm. ebook. Good m/m paranormal romance about two guys working for an animal rescue organization who are attracted to each other, but unaware of the other’s paranormal abilities…
Celtic Warrior and Wolf Spirit (Psychic Moon #2) by MD Greem. ebook short. Good short paranormal m/m holiday romance in which the two guys from Psychic Moon have to deal with one’s psychotic ex tracking him down.
Nothing To Do With Pride (Supernatural Mates #4) by Amber Kell. ebook short. So-so m/m paranormal romance about a coyote shifter trying to find his missing, possibly psychotic sister. This read almost like a story outline, plus it had some continuity issues; for example, is the sister’s son fine, as at the beginning of the story, or is he missing, as at the end of the story (with nothing between the two points about him vanishing)?
The Thirteenth Child (Section Thirteen #1) by JL O’Faolain. ebook. So-so m/m urban fantasy about an exiled sidhe living in New York City who gets called in by his “straight” ex to help the police solve a series of murders and child abductions. This had potential that wasn’t realized due to clunky style and pacing. As with so many other releases from this publisher, it needed indepth editing to realize that potential. Also, be aware that there’s virtually no romance in this one.
The Thirteenth Pillar (Section Thirteen #2) by JL O’Faolain. ebook. So-so m/m urban fantasy about an exiled sidhe now working as an NYPD cop investigating paranormal crimes. This was a frustrating read, because I like the characters and the storyline… just not their awkward presentation. The sex scenes in this one read like bad amateur porn, using terms like “love nut” (for the prostate) and “almighty Johnson”.
Loving Jacob by Lee Brazil. ebook. So-so m/m romance about a married attorney who has an “understanding” with his wife (they’re staying together “for the sake of the children”) and gets involved with a younger man – a younger man who’s looking for his Prince Charming. Broken hearts, boozing, and cutting ensue, but it’s all ok by the last couple pages. Um, yeah, obviously this one hit some negative buttons for me…
Layover by CJ Black. free ebook short. Meh short m/m encounter between two guys in a bus station.
“My name is not Kilroy! Honestly, Mom, you are so weird.” -Mayhem
21 thoughts on “Linkity is shivering”
Lovely kittie pic, the linketies will keep me company when doing my laundry Sunday 🙂
Linkity! Thank you Chris!
I’ve been peeking at The Violet and the Tom (naughty I know) and…WOW! And I must read The Angel of 13th Street!
May – you look so cute 🙂
A recent post from orannia..Thoughts on Double Blind
I really must get to that Eve Ocotillo book. Maybe after I finish this other slave book I’m reading….
A recent post from Jenre..A-Z Challenge Review: Visible Friend by KZ Snow
That’s a real look of fear May.
I’ve been dreaming of Shepherd’s Pie and must try to make one soon!
A recent post from margene..Fish-eyed and Googly-eyed
Fascinating info on the clit. Who knew?
Love those Don Hong-Oai photos.
A recent post from Cheryl S…zOMG
Those unicorn poop cookies are strangely disturbing, yet appealing. Hmm… I must still be a kindergartner at heart.
But the cat bookmark is just my thing. I loved messing around with origami as a kid and it looks like I’ll be starting again. There are so many cool videos by the same author it’ll keep me entertained for ages.
Some of those links will have to wait until I get home! But the weather one is something I’m reading RIGHT away…. list is an odd one for sure.
A recent post from cursingmama..Sometimes The Truth Is AWESOME
OMG, crocheted Spock ears! My husband wants some to wear for a comic-con this weekend, but I don’t think he has crochet in mind. 😀
A recent post from Val Kovalin..Week 1 – wood shavings everywhere
Why am I not surprised that the dude with the preen tattoo ‘refused further treatment’ for the perma-rection?
A recent post from Ava March..2011, Looking into 2012, and Bliss
I am SO making those Unicorn Poop cookies for Jen Armintrout!!!
I’m also going to give the lip balm a try!
Can I pleeeeeeaaaaassssse have that Fennec? Please?
A recent post from Bronwyn Green..Riding in Cars with Boys – Part Seventeen
Great links again this week! I’m very saddened by the fate of cats in LA shelters and can’t believe it’s that bad. Ack!
And you know I totally want The Tardis purse! So many creative people out there. Unfortunately $250 is way beyond my budget.
Have a great weekend!
A recent post from Joder..Winner of Amazon GC for Your Comments About Themes In Romance Novels
I haven’t seen Kilroy for years! I love the kitty origami bookmark. Sad news about Hostess – Twinkies and Hostess cupcakes were childhood treats. For some reason, I remember them being in the freezer?
A recent post from mrspao..Book 1: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
And Shepherd’s pie will keep the kitchen warm while it bakes!
A recent post from Mary Lou..12th Night 2012
I like those myths since I thought one was true o-O
A recent post from blodeuedd..On My Wishlist
Goes to fold origami kitties! I can do an origami fox.
A recent post from PD Singer..The Mountains come to Dreamspinner!
Thanks for the weather link (among others). And scritches to May.
A recent post from naomi..happy new year!
I love Hobbes……
A recent post from Lynn..Saturday Sky
Cute Mayhem! I mean Kilroy… I mean… bother. I’m so confused.
You definitely have a knack for pattern matching. That’s the only way I can explain how many MISP posts you have.
Also, I love how thw first comment on the shepherd’s pie recipe says to substitute lamb for beef, when a true shepherd’s pie is made with lamb to begin with. (Granted, I only truly learned the difference between shepherd’s and cottage pies this past year. Still.)
A recent post from Nicole..WIP Weds
LOL at the Mayhem caption!
Hey Chris! Is it cold yet??
I love the links! Some are… O.o, while others are =)!!!
Hugs and love the kittie pictures….
Kinda miss my puppies… =(
A recent post from Cecile..Giveaway, Interview & Review: Andrea Speed Spends the Day @ The Lair
Again, it took me a three day weekend to click through the linkity!