Congrats to Leigh, who won Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Clare London!
And congrats to elaing8, who won The Third Floor by Stephani Hecht!
Congrats to Tam, who won Eat Me by Mia Watts! Eat Me will be released on Monday, October 25, by Total-E-Bound.
I suppose you’re curious about the title of this post, huh? Early next week, I’m heading to San Francisco with Kris, Tam, Jenre, and Tracy to see the city and attend Yaoi Con. Subsequently, blogging will be a little spotty for the next two weeks. On Monday, October 25, I’ll have a vampire-themed edition of the Misadventures for Halloween. A new Kim Dare contest will automagically post on Thursday, October 28. I’ll post contest winners in the evening on October 25, October 28, and October 29 – please consider 7 pm CDT as a rough ending time for those contests! Contests are still open until I shut off the comments on the contest posts. Also, I’m not going to be able to reply to all of the contest entries and I apologize in advance for that.
Vacationy sorts of random posts may appear without warning. 🙂
- CRAFT’s giving away a copy of the cupcake cookbook, A Zombie Ate My Cupcake. Comment on why you would like to win the book before 5 pm PST, October 22, for your chance to win.
- Lea’s giving away signed copies of the first two jaguar shifter books by Juliana Stone. Comment by midnight EDT, October 22, for your chance to win.
- Katiebabs is giving away a signed set of the Market romance trilogy by Louisa Edwards. Contest closes October 23.
- Smexy Mandi’s giving away five copies of Daughter of Darkness by V.C. Andrews. Comment through October 23 to enter.
- Cecile’s giving away two ebook copies of Lori Brighton’s paranormal romance, Ghost Hunter. For your chance to win, answer her question in the comments by October 24.
- Katiebabs is giving away a copy of Jennifer Estep’s Venom to someone who asks Jennifer a question in the comments by October 25.
- Ginger’s giving away Bisquick Gluten Free baking mix, a silver dollar pancake pan, a spatula, and a “pancake pen” to someone from the US who comments by 7 pm EST, October 26.
- Leontine’s giving away a signed copy of Olivia Cunning’s latest romance, Backstage Pass. Answer the author’s question in your comment before October 30 for your chance to win.
- New releases: Renee (October books that intrigued her), Literary Escapism (UF/PNR news, contests, etc), Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog (November releases she’s looking forward to), SciFiGuy (UF/PNR news, contests, etc.), Fantasy Dreamer (UF/PNR/fantasy/YA, etc), and Smexy Mandi (some upcoming PNR).
- Misadventures in Stock Photography found elsewhere: Gizmodo, Smart Bitches, and Smart Bitches again.
- Book news and linkity: Dear Author, Smart Bitches, and ReadReactReview.
- Go take the Romantic Times survey – is it just me, or do others feel like having the lowest range spent on books being $0-$20 is weird? My spending $0 on hardcovers, trade paperbacks, and mass market paperbacks (buying ebooks instead) gets lost…
- Reasoning with Vampires dissects the writing in the Twilight saga, with delightfully incoherent results. (Warning: This site is addictive!) (Thanks, Bron!)
- The big networks’ fear of Google TV reminds me a bit of big publishers’ fear of ebooks.
- The word on ebook piracy continues to be conflicting – is it zOMG or no big deal?
Learn, Think, Make, Do
- The Minnesota History Museum’s Chocolate Exhibit runs through January 2, 2011. (Jeanne, we should go!)
- Speaking of chocolate, how about making a batch of Nutella chocolate thumbprint cookies? (Note to self: Try Nutella on the most awesome of all peanut butter cookie recipes.)
- I guess it’s not that surprising to learn junk food has the same effect on the brain as crack.
- Remember that article about willpower being a finite resource? Not everyone agrees – instead, maybe willpower is as strong as you think it is.
- Ack! After the Pentagon spent $19 billion on bomb-detecting technology, it determined that the best bomb detectors… are dogs.
- The top ten jobs, according to Money magazine.
- Do you know how to clean and disinfect your gadgets safely? (Consumerist reports on a new study that found mobile devices to be “excellent virus vectors.”)
- Who knew that putting limes in your beer could lead to spotty skin?!
- Maybe you should be deciding which tv shows you watch based on how likely they are to be renewed…
- See part of southeastern Minnesota via Amy’s roadtrip. (I love Great River Bluffs State Park, which used to be named O.L. Kipp State Park).
- Did you know that Wednesday was World Statistics Day? Take a minute to read this post at Lifehacker that will help you interpret survey statistics better.
- …which leads us to some rather shocking statistics on Facebook games. 😮
- Did you hear about the amazing breakthrough in solar power… by the inventor of the Super Soaker?
- Amazing knit skeleton.
- Lion Brand has some cool free Halloween-themed knitting patterns. I must make those black kitty mitts!
- Instead of carving pumpkins, maybe you should knit pumpkin cozies instead.
- Cats that look like demons… eep! (Thanks, MamaTulip!)
- Make owl pellets! Or crochet owl pellets! (Not to eat…)
- Carve your own R2D2 or Death Star pumpkin. Or maybe you’d prefer carving turnips instead?
- Not that I feel the need to spend $130 on LEGOs, but Hogwart’s Castle is pretty awesome.
- I hope this “Getting drunk at the spacebar” t-shirt got enough votes to be printed.
- Is there a Michigander in your life who would appreciate some Michigan Mittens?
- Broadway sings for The Trevor Project and It Gets Better. If you haven’t seen Fort Worth city council member Joel Burns’s It Gets Better video, grab some tissues and watch it.
- It takes a lot of USB ports to cook meat.
- I find these Homer Simpson slippers disturbing, too. Can’t you just hear Homer saying, “Mmmmmm…. feet”?
- Talk about a traumatizing bath toy for little boys…
- It seems sort of dangerous to be hurling snowballs 150 feet…
- Are you supposed to mix the contents of the instant coffee straw with water, or snort them straight?
- The difference between Facebook and Twitter, summarized in a single sentence.
- Hee hee – the 2001: A Space Odyssey monolith “action figure” has definite gag gift potential.
- I had no idea Wayne Manor moved around so much!
- Not sure of the best way to store and organize your cats? Here are 119 different ways that might appeal. 🙂 (Thanks, Juni!)
- Are you sure you know how to properly pet a kitty?
- Looks an awful lot like trying to eat around here…
- Mayhem loves yarn this much, too. Hopefully she never gets into my yarn storage!
- Franklin offers up the Stash Attack Advisory System.
- Congrats to Stewie, the new Guinness record holder for world’s longest domestic cat! (Thanks, Lea!)
- Kittens! Kitten! Very young kittens! Meerkat! Kitten! Kitten! Baby fennec fox! Kitten! Melly! Hedgehog! Baby otter! Meerkats! Kittens! Fawn! Red pandas! Kittens! Kitten! Fossas! Kitty and a book!
Dudleytown by L.B. Gregg. advance ebook. Very good Halloween-themed m/m romance about several college students taking a “shortcut” on their drive home for the weekend. Things go a bit more spectacularly awry than is usual for such shortcuts… Plenty of trademark L.B. humor and insight make for an entertainingly suspenseful read.
The Third Floor by Stephani Hecht. ebook short. Cute short Halloween-themed m/m romance about two guys working the admission booth of a haunted house, one of whom insists he’s not at all interested in the other. I wonder if there will be more books about these two? 🙂
Dance with a Vampire by Fabian Black. free ebook short. Very good, very short Halloween-themed m/m romance about a guy, trying to get in to a club for a Halloween party and becoming upset with the man at the door who won’t let him in.
Through the Red Door (Vampires & Mages & Weres, Oh My!, Book 2) by Devon Rhodes. ebook short. Good short paranormal m/m romance about a demon enforcer out house hunting who finds a house that would be perfect if it wasn’t for the warded red door and his inexplicable reaction to the owner’s scent… Alas, I felt this book was marred by an abrupt ending – spending a few more pages tying things up after the conflict was resolved would’ve helped immensely.
Trick of the Senses (Sensational #4) by Anah Crow & Dianne Fox. ebook short. Good short paranormal m/m romance about a psychic and his lover, who also shifts into his service dog. This probably would’ve made more sense if I’d read the previous three stories. 🙂
Calendar Boys of October: Trick of Silver by Jamie Craig. ebook. Good paranormal m/m romance about a werewolf hunter sent to kill an allegedly murderous werewolf… but the evidence doesn’t add up. And the werewolf is really sexy…
On the Ragged Edge of the World (Trick of Silver, Book 2) by Jamie Craig. ebook. Good paranormal m/m romance continuing the story of the werewolf hunter trying to fit into the pack that his werewolf lover leads.
Out of Bounds by Viki Lyn. ebook. Very good m/m romance about a well-known and openly gay artist who returns to his small and bigoted hometown to get away from memories of his ex. Against his better judgment, he becomes involved with the deeply closeted football coach.
The Way You Say My Name (Reed, Book 2) by Sara Bell. ebook. Meh m/m romance about two 18-year old high school students. Besides the insta-love and chicks with dicks, there was just way too much going on in this book and it dragged on way too long.
Winston Quirk by Martin Delacroix. ebook short. Very good short m/m romance set on a small and very racist island in the Bahamas in the mid-1970s. A white professor on vacation from Florida finds himself rethinking his beliefs about race after meeting the title character.
44 thoughts on “Last of the Linkity until November 12!”
I spend way too much on Legos. (Not for me, really. The kids… 😉
I’ll miss Linkity (and your other posts!), but have a really great trip!
A recent post from Alison..Two Scarves and Some Towels
Chris- I wonder if that poor Stewie spent some time on the rack!
Have a great time-
A recent post from Lorraine..Cool World
Holy hell. I couldn’t udnerstand a word of that abstract about the kindle and litaracy/freedom of speech. Maybe I just didn’t care, I don’t have a kindle. However I adored the cover art on that book.
Mmm. Chocolate. I wonder if they have the smell piped in?
Those top 10 jobs were funny.
So I have a Farmville farm. Don’t mock me people. I only have 3 of each animal and 20 squares of crops. LOL I do need two more green cows though. As for leaking info, if they lead I have a preference for strawberry pigs, well have at it.
That skeleton was amazing. People are so talented.
Zombie Barbie. LURVE it.
Holy crap! Demon cats are coming for me. Sent those to K. LOL
No blood on my martini glass. No no.
Homemade owl pellets? What the hell for?
Captain Picard wedding cake? That’s taking fandom a step too far.
OMG, I want R2D2 and the death star. So sharing those with Craig.
I LOVE that giant clothespin. I saw that on Tumble. So cool.
HA! Getting drunk at the space bar. It so should be a shirt.
Coffee straws, like a pixie stick, open it straight onto the tongue, why waste time watering down the caffeine?
That is soooo true about the car button. How do you apologise when you screw up and know it?
OMG!!! Did you see my friend Craig at Puntabulous got credit for many of those sci-fi cats! He’s famous! And I knew him back when he was a nobody. 🙂
Are you stalking my computer? I just read Trick of Silver last night and I was going to read the sequel tonight. I’ve had it forever so what’s up with that? Are we starting to mind meld?
You are on a real Halloween kick. Must get the first three and for some reason I’m feeling bad that I didn’t love the last one as much as everyone else seems to have done. Oh well.
A recent post from Tam..Short is good too
Smith loved the knit skeleton and I loved the vampire martini! You kept me going through links all morning. Good one. (Moxie would do the same thing to my yarn, it’s not just a kitty thing.)
Are you sure it’s Mayhem under the towel?
A recent post from margene..Who Needs Witches
I’m pretty sure I must be the only person on planet Earth who does not like Nutella. Love chocolate. Do not like or love Nutella.
Heh. Do they know you’re going on vacation…?
A recent post from Brigitte..Hi Everybody!
Have fun on your trip!!!!!!! And I have a nutella pb sandwich for lunch.. yum!
A recent post from Miranda..Fantasy Contest Bar Masked
I love the hungry caterpillar mobile! Have a wonderful trip!
That cheese billboard is so cool! I want to see it! Lol… Aww, you’re gonna be missed Chris! *sniff sniff*
I hope you have fun at Yaoi Con. I wish I could be there. 🙁
A recent post from Nikyta..Review- Hallowed Bond
Yay for linkity time
A recent post from blodeuedd..Review- War on the Margins – Libby Cone
I wonder if one of my friends is going to Yaoi con. I stopped doing many cons after a poor experience at Anime Boston ages ago (though I did enjoy going to the yaoi panel).
A recent post from Seanna Lea..its that time of year again
You WHAT??!? You’re going to be in my neck of the woods? For two weeks? Hmm.
I don’t know about eBook piracy in general, but I have heard that Dorchester isn’t paying their authors. Not sure if this is universal, but it sucks all the same. A new kind of piracy… where the publisher is the culprit. The author is still the one who loses. 🙁
I don’t have one of those top ten jobs. I’m not actually sure I want one of them, based on the descriptions… 😉
And this is why I deleted all of my FB games. (Except Bejeweled. That thing is addicting.)
A recent post from Nicole..Contest Alert
Some very Halloweenie links today! Love the cheese billboard and the sci fi cats – lots of memories!
You’ve got some great contest links too!
A recent post from Julia Rachel Barrett..Welcome author Sharon Lathan- Jane Austen extraordinaire!
I loved the Captain Picard wedding cake! LOL. …though, his nose was a bit big. Still. Loved it.
I hope you have a blast in San Francisco!!
Have a great trip. San Francisco is such a fun city.
A recent post from Mary Lou..Knitting for Others
I hope you have a wonderful trip! I hadn’t realized you’d be gone so long. I’ll miss you. *sniffitysniff*
At least you left lots of linkity to keep me busy!
If your ears start burning (or the ears of any of your partners in travel) just know that it’s KZ and me talking about you!
Too. Much. Linkity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guinifer: LOL! You can stretch it out over the next two Fridays… 🙂
Why do English people have all the cool things, first Midsomer Murders, now an entire billboard made out of cheese! Its just not fair. I think I’ll go nap like May and forget this cruel world.
I’m a little bit jealous of your trip to SF and meeting the other girls! Have a great time and *snif* I’m so gonna miss you!!
A recent post from Janna ErotRomReader..Happy Gay Friday- Boy Culture & Blog News
I LOVE the clothespin.
And no, I am not doing that to my Barbie.
Meatloaf! Gotta love it.
Have fun in SF! It’s one of my most favorite cities to visit. Love the atmosphere of the folks there and the weather is just terrific. 🙂
A recent post from Donna..New Book Releases for Fantasy- Paranormal Romance- YA Paranormal & More – Week of October 17- 2010
Have a blast at YaoiCon; I’m green with envy. Please tell us how much fun you had!
Ok that linkity was all full on wonderful goodness!
Dudleytown – LOVE it. So good.
Out of Bounds…marking it down. 🙂
A recent post from Tracy..Review- Forsaken by Shadow by Kait Nolan
DON’T LEAVE ME!!!!
I hope you have fun, but I’m going to miss you.
My second visit to linkity today and I still haven’t followed all of the trails…
Have fun in SF! : )
Have a great trip! :o)
That first book – Dudleytown — at first I thought the title was Cuddlytown!
Have a fun time on your trip!
A recent post from janna..Finally!
Zomg… the Pink Panther… SERIOUSLY? Cracking me up! As with the Brain Cupcakes!!!! I’ll see you in yaoi-con!
Cool photo of lightning hitting the Statue of Liberty!
Poor bat. He looks so miserable.
Nice tour of southeast Minnesota.
Oh I like that clothespin sculpture.
Have a great trip! San Francisco is one of my favorite cities.
A recent post from Sydney..And Then They Were Gone
But what will the kitties destroy while you are gone?!?!! LOL I had one that got so ticked off everytime we went away, she ALWAYS destroyed something. My favorite? A loaf of bread we left on the counter!!
Toy sub?? OUCH!
LOL at the monolith. OMG it’s full of stars!! I always told my dh that if we had a boy in 2001 we HAD to name him Hal!!! our dd was born in 2002. Oh well.
and that maine coon kitty is BIG!! We had a maine coon mix and he was adorable. Unfortunately he had chronic kidney disease and he didn’t live past 7. I love my american shorthair domestic kitty, but I do love me a Maine Coon. Same with polys. Would LOVE a mix of both! Have fun in San Fran!!
A recent post from Lynn..Feline Living at Happy Acres
I know you’re going to have fun on your trip! I’m so jealous. 🙂
Don’t let Kris talk you into to doing anything too daring.
A recent post from Eyre..Overheard & Hilariously Bad
Have a great time on your trip! I’m so jealous!
A recent post from katiebabs..KB Pimpin Future Releases
That Lego Hogwarts castle is amazing. They sure make neat stuff with those these days!
Zombie Barbies? Yikes!! lol
I love the clothespin earth thing. lol
Chris, you have a fabulous time in San Francisco and we will look forward to all the pictures when you return. I’m sure you will have a blast with those ladies!!
Mayhem: enjoy your nap. 😉
Thanks for the mention and all the linkety Chris!!
A recent post from Lea..Winner Of Jaguar Warriors Giveaway
Totally loved the car button! Picard on a wedding cake? Umm, no thanks! The Zombie Barbies reminded me on my youngest daughter’s Goth inspired dolls. Scary what she did to those things a few years back. LOL
Alex and hubby both would love the Lego Hogwarts, wow. Cool clothespin, pic of lightning hitting the Statue, chocolate exhibit and OMG, I laughed so hard because yes, I AM a Facebook Game Addict. 😀
I really enjoyed Trick of Silver and On the Ragged Edge and I did like Out of Bounds as well.
I’m sure you guys will have a super fabulous great time on vacation!! So jealous but happy for you all. 🙂
A recent post from Lily..Back to Normal by Wren Boudreau
You are going to have so much fun!!! Love the lego castle and thanks for the link!
I think I need the spacebar t-shirt 🙂
A recent post from Patti..Sunday Silliness- Thank you JA Saare!!
So many links to enjoy 🙂 Thank you Chris and I hope you have a safe trip and a wonderful time!
A recent post from orannia..The Hand Thing
And I love the scifi LOL cats!
A recent post from orannia..The Hand Thing
I am SO making the oven baked s’mores for Halloween!
Thanks for the linkity, Chris! 🙂
A recent post from Renee..October 2010 Releases- part 2
have a great trip!
OMG.. I love the scary zombie barbies!! Our thrift stores don’t have much in the way of toys now with that safety legislation stuff that went through. 🙁
Stewie is a very big cat!!
A recent post from mrspao..Kittens needed