- Ava March is giving away your choice of a print or ebook copy of All in with the Duke (Gambling on Love #1). Closes midnight EST, November 16.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance), Smart Bitches (romance), AAR (romance), and Tor.com (UF/horror, genre-benders, PNR)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- “Are ‘safe’ books really what we want?“
- Kassa shares some thoughts on appropriate writer and reader/reviewer behavior.
- 10 NaNoWriMo-helpful links from Paperback Writer. More NaNoWriMo-helpful links from Paperback Writer.
- Writerly linkity from Becky Black.
- Book linkity from Smart Bitches.
- “None of this is new: An oral history of fanfiction“.
- Speaking of fanfic, learn all about mpreg.
Do, Think, Make, Learn
- Science has determined what the catchiest songs are. (Confession: I was too afraid of earworms to click through.)
- 8 unusual November festivals and 11 odd November holidays.
- What your cat’s tail is telling you.
- 10 grilled cheese sandwich recipes.
- 10 pancake recipes.
- Apple cider waffles with salted caramel. (via The Kitchn)
- Skillet cornbread with bacon and cheddar.
- Spicy orange-ginger chicken.
- Quinoa with roasted beets and pear.
- White bean and chorizo soup. (via The Kitchn)
- Red lentil soup.
- Spaghetti squash with ricotta, sage, and pine nuts.
- Wintry mushroom, kale, and quinoa enchiladas.
- Pumpkin quesadillas with lime-jalapeno yogurt.
- Pumpkin butter.
- Pumpkin pie in a mug.
- Mixtape notebooks.
- Stream Shakespearian plays from the Globe Theater.
- “PhD student’s interpretive dance of her tornado research wins contest…“
- Black cat art.
- Various TV detectives visit Twin Peaks.
- If there’s an arcade game from the 1970s-1990s that you miss, you might find it among the 900 games emulated at the Internet Archive. (via Gizmodo).
- LEGO space city.
- Photo of the Milky Way over Devil’s Tower.
- Pumpkin carving NASA style.
- Astronauts on the International Space Station (ISS) put a camera in a ball of water.
- Speaking of the ISS, Chris Hadfield’s Space Oddity is back online.
- Mashup of cool scenes from movies about space.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Pumpkin spice latte… burger.
- Christmas tree shaped Doritos.
- Pee stain typeface.
- Bandages to make injuries look worse.
Daemons Are Forever (Secret Histories #2) by Simon R Green. Pretty good continuation of this paranormal suspense series loosely (very loosely) based on James Bond: Eddie Drood is Bond, the Armourer is Q, Penny is Moneypenny, the Matriarch is M, and the books’ titles are hauntingly not-quite-familiar.
Libriomancer (Magic Ex Libris #1) by Jim C. Hines. Good contemporary fantasy about a wizard whose power is being able to make things from books real. Due to a magical mishap, he’s been relegated to working as a librarian in the UP (Michigan’s Upper Peninsula) and not using magic… until the shit hits the fan, of course.
Codex Born (Magic Ex Libris #2) by Jim C. Hines. Ok continuation of this contemporary fantasy series about a UP book mage and the dryad he loves. That’s a radical simplification of things, but I’m still annoyed about the ending – it wasn’t a cliffie, but things were left way too wide open. If that happens with the next book, I won’t continue reading the series.
“Mom, I’m pretty sure you should back away slowly from the photo effects.” -Mayhem