Sorry that Linkity was late today! My web host had an upgrade go terribly awry last night, right as I was about to push the button to schedule the post.
- Joyfully Jay is giving away an ebook copy of By the River by Katey Hawthorne. Closes 11:59 pm EDT, August 3.
- Pants Off Reviews is giving away a backlist ebook (winner’s choice) from Andrea Speed. Closes 11:59 pm EDT, August 4.
- And Pants Off Reviews is giving away an ebook copy of By the River by Katey Hawthorne. Closes 11:59 pm EDT, August 5.
- Pants Off Reviews is also giving away two Dreamspinner Press $10 gift certificates. Closes 11:59 pm EDT, August 6.
- Joely Sue Burkhart is giving away an ereader valued at up to $200. Her post has a list of ways you can enter before September 1. (Thanks, Nicole!)
- New releases and more: Rarely Dusty Books (m/m), Tor.com (UF, genre benders, fantasy, scifi), and Book Lovers Inc (romance etc).
- Cuddlebuggery on that oft-used phrase: “If you don’t like it, then don’t read it!” (via Experiment BL626)
- Dear Author on fair use of images for bloggers. Kris shares some thoughts on blogging and copyright.
- From Paperback Writer, what authors shouldn’t put on their promo bookmarks and publishing 911 hotline.
- This comic about the state of the music industry could probably be extrapolated to the future state of the publishing industry.
Think, Do, Make, Learn
- Hmm. Not sure where this one goes, but Crafty was looking awfully sparse, so… Nominations are open (through August 6, 11:59 pm EDT) for Knitters’ Hunk and Knitters’ Chick. (via The Ravell’d Sleave)
Cool or Wha…?
- Be worried if you can think of an actual use for this stock photo. (NSFWish and not suitable for those with coulrophobia)
- NBC Delayed is a parody Twitter account for frustrated Olympics viewers to enjoy. (via I Can Has Cheezburger?)
- Internal monologue… (make sure to hover your cursor over the comic for additional text)
- Cheetah and baby! Tiger! Tiger and babies! Tigers! Tiger and babies! Lioness and baby! Snow leopard and baby! Tigers! Tiger! Tiger! Baby tigers! Lioness and babies! Hummingbird! Hippo and baby! Civet! Peacock and baby! Kittens! Lions and babies! Anteater and baby! Panda! Bat-eared fox babies! Cat and kitten! Otters! Baby lynxes! Ducklings! Kitten! Baby lions! Baby penguins! Baby anteater!
LA Heat (LA #1) by PA Brown. ebook. Very good gay mystery with a titch of romance about a sexy, slutty IT geek accused of murder and the deeply closeted cop conflicted between attraction and duty. Be aware that there are some graphic descriptions of mutilated bodies…
LA Mischief (LA #2) by PA Brown. ebook. Good gay mystery in which David and Chris and their relationship (or lack thereof) definitely take precedence over the rest of the story. Two steamy short stories are tacked on to the end of the book.
LA Boneyard (LA #3) by PA Brown. ebook. Very good gay mystery with a titch of romance in which I wanted to smack David for 90% of the book; for the other 10%, I wanted to smack Chris.
LA Bytes (LA #4) by PA Brown. ebook. Very good gay mystery with a titch of romance. In this one, Chris is trying to track down a hacker who nearly kills both he and David.
Bermuda Heat (LA #5) by PA Brown. ebook. Good gay mystery in which Chris and David go on vacation to Bermuda to check out a startling revelation about David’s past. Their vacation goes downhill after David is arrested for murder… This was definitely my least favorite of the series – I’m not a fan of books in which the main series characters are accused of murder. It worked ok in the first book with Chris because it was the start of the series; not so much now.
The Limits of Justice (Benjamin Justice #4) by John Morgan Wilson. Another very good and very dark gay mystery that starts about a year after the previous book. Ben’s not taking very good care of himself, but then he’s hired to ghostwrite an expose of a guy who writes sleazy bios of recently dead celebrities… and things get complicated. Now waiting for the library to get in the next book in the series!
Calling the Show by JA Rock. ebook. Very good kinky m/m romance about an extremely uptight and socially awkward stage manager for a college production who’s upset about a last minute technical staff change, but who slowly warms to the cute new guy running lights…
Indulging Ivan (The Whole A-Z #5) by Kim Dare. ebook short. Very good kinky short m/m romance about a dom who’s staying with a friend while he looks for work. He’s also trying to avoid the temptation of the friend’s younger brother, without much success…
Catching Kit by Kay Berrisford. ebook. Good paranormal m/m romance about a guy who works for the British government, capturing Ethereal Beings (aka elves). When he unexpectedly becomes close to one of his captives, everything changes. I was a bit frustrated by the epilogue, which took place a year after the main story, because all the stuff that was mentioned in the epilogue as having occurred during the intervening year seemed like it needed to be a story in itself!
Bossy and the Brat (Men of Holsum College #5) by Daisy Harris. ebook. Good m/m romance about an almost college senior from a conservative small Kansas town who can barely admit to himself that he likes guys… but he can’t keep his eyes off the dance major who lives across the hall in their dorm.
This is Chaos, pissed off about being at the vet. You can only see one of his eyes because he’s in pirate mode – he managed to scrape the cornea on his right eye, so he’s been wandering around with only his left eye open! He’ll be fine, but since I do have to put ointment in his eye four times each day for a week, I might not be…