Since I never heard back from the original winner, elaing8 is the new winner of Four Corners by Kate McMurray!
Congrats to maygirl7, who won theÂ Lashings of Sauce anthology donated by Josephine Myles!
- Blodeuedd’s giving away a copy of Marrying Up by Wendy Holden. Closes August 10 – make sure you read the rules! US & Canada.
- Babes in Boyland is giving away an ebook copy of the m/m anthology Masks Off! Closes 9 pm CDT, August 12.
- Joyfully Jay’s giving away an ebook copy of Four Corners by Kate McMurray. Closes 11:59 pm EDT, August 13.
- Tracy’s giving away an ebook copy of Hearts of Darkness by Kira Bradley. Closes midnight PDT, August 13.
- Tracy’s also giving away an ebook copy of Sigma (The Vanguards #5) by Annie Nicholas. Closes 7 pm PDT, August 15.
- New releases and more: Literary Escapism (UF/PNR), Tor.com (PNR), Book Lovers Inc (romance etc), and AAR (romance, audiobooks).
- A book reviewer for Slate wonders if there’s too much niceness in the world of professional online book reviewing. (Thanks, MandyM!)
- Goodreads released new guidelines this week – new guidelines that seem to favor writers over readers.
Learn, Do, Think, Make
- An ingredient commonly found in microwave popcorn and other processed foods might be linked to Alzheimer’s.
- A new study by the Mayo Clinic found that 1.4 million of the 1.8 million believed to have celiac disease in the US are undiagnosed.
- A writer forÂ Wired describes how hackers destroyed his digital life. How to protect yourself against social engineering hacks. Ways to keep your digital life secure.
- Make a Mason jar to-go cup. (via CRAFT) (I can’t be the only person who’s simply too clumsy for a glass to-go cup, can I?!)
- Broccoli pasta sauce. (via The Kitchn)
- Corn on the cobb salad. (via The Kitchn)
- S’mores candy bars. (via The Kitchn)
- Donny Draper. (via The Kitchn)
- TARDIS wedding ring. (via The Mary Sue)
- Borg wedding cake. (via The Mary Sue)
Cool or Wha…?
- Origami sticky notes. (via LB Gregg)
- Creepy ads for ice cream. Really creepy. (Thanks, Cheryl!)
- Trojan had hot dog carts giving away vibrators on the streets of NYC this week until the city shut them down.
- Some Olympic swimming humor. (make sure you hover your cursor over the comic for additional text)
- Baby bobcats! Tiger and baby! Tiger! Tigers! Tigers! Baby leopard! Black cat! Black panther! Tigers! Baby tiger! Lions! Tiger! Meerkats! Baby flamingos! Baby foxes! Cat and kittens! Cat and kittens! Baby weedy sea dragons! Lynxes! Duckling! Kittens! Baby coatis! Takin and baby! Hummingbird! Cats and kittens!
Diving in Deep (Florida #1) by KA Mitchell. ebook. reread. Very good m/m romance about getting a second chance with that guy you had a crush on as a teenager, whoâ€™s grown into an emotionally unavailable adult. I definitely got sniffly on this one.
Collision Course (Florida #2) by KA Mitchell. ebook. reread. Really well done m/m romance about a social worker and a paramedic who has a lot of issues with social workers.
No Souvenirs (Florida #3) by KA Mitchell. ebook. reread. Very good m/m romance about an ER doctor who takes an impulsive dive vacation in Belize when things go awry in his life. He gets to know the dive instructor really well…
By the River (Elementals #1) by Katey Hawthorne. ebook. Good m/m paranormal romance about a guy in his mid-twenties who feels drawn to return to his home town, where he becomes enthralled by a mysterious and naive college swimmer. As MandyM noted, while this was beautifully written, the HFN ending felt very tenuous… as if the “for now” might only be a few minutes or days.
In Search of Saints by Harper Fox. ebook short. Good short m/m romance about an academic who’s been too obsessed by his ex’s betrayal to realize what he has with his new boyfriend.
Inertia (Impulse #1) by Amelia C. Gormley. ebook. arc. Good m/m romance about an isolated handyman who hasn’t been with anyone since he was a teenager and started taking care of his sick grandparents. Then he’s hired to install some shelves by a sexy and strangely skittish accountant who might be flirting with him… While I enjoyed how things developed between the two men, the story seemed to bog down a bit during the last third. And I was a bit surprised when the story ended – it left me with the feeling that this might develop into a serial. 🙁
Dine & Dash (Cut & Run #5.5) by Abigail Roux. free ebook short. Steamy short m/m homecoming scene.
Fireman’s Carry (Carry Me #1) by Charlie Richards. ebook. Ok m/m romance about a gay firefighter who’s recently left his cheating ex and moves in across the street from a straight divorced cop and his kids. I read this after reading a beautifully written book, and the difference in writing between the two was a bit painful. Stalker alert. (So. Tired. Of. Stalkers.)
The Thirteenth Sigil (Section Thirteen Case Files #3) by JL O’Faolain. ebook. So-so paranormal m/m romance continuing the story of Cole, an exiled sidhe who works for a secret, paranormally focused division of the NYPD. The case in this one was pretty weird, the “romance” didn’t really work, and the sex scenes were p0rny and euphemistic. (Check out my status updates at Goodreads for specifics on the last.)
Picking Up the Spare by Heidi Champa. ebook. I read 3/4 of it and was too bored to continue. Plus the name overuse in conversation was irking me.