- My notebook “shelfies”.
- A “five things that make me happy” post.
- More art journal pages from my class journal. (Apologies if I’ve linked the last set before – it all blurs…)
- Look what I’m going to see next Friday!! 🙂
- Joder always has contests and book tours going on.
- Becky Black is giving away your choice from several of her print and ebook titles. Make sure you read the contest directions! Closes 6 pm (British Summer Time??), August 14.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (romance), Smart Bitches (romance), Tor.com (PNR, genre benders, UF, fantasy, scifi), and Dear Author (romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- The life and career of Samuel R Delaney (thus far). (via Gizmodo)
- “12 signs you’ve been binge reading“.
- “Reading as self care“.
- Carl Sagan on books.
- 20 Anglo-Saxon words that are sadly no longer in use.
- 18 cool bookends.
- Cover snark from Smart Bitches.
Think, Make, Do, Learn
- “Windows 10, Chicken Little, and the digital divide“.
- “Reminder: An airport runway is not a safe place to drive, intoxicated or not“.
- EPBOT on the recent surge in “if you don’t agree with all of my views, unfriend me!!!!!!!!”
- Minnesota waterfall mystery.
- Google’s interactive periodic table of the elements.
- Millions of years of evolution in under a minute.
- What a Soyuz flight between Earth and the International Space Station looks like.
- 10 grilled cheese sandwich recipes.
- 20 easy pasta recipes.
- 20 salad recipes.
- Italian chicken salad sandwiches.
- Moroccan chicken with preserved lemons.
- Tomato cobbler with cornmeal-cheddar biscuits.
- Vietnamese rice noodle salad.
- Vietnamese spring rolls.
- “Best-ever” veggie burger.
- 17 desserts using berries.
- Lucky Charms ice cream sandwiches.
- Cinnamon sugar funnel cake with peaches and raspberries. (via The Kitchn)
- Chocolate cheesecake Oreo parfaits. (via aohatsu)
- Cheesy chickpea waffles with buttered basil mushrooms. (via The Kitchn)
- Shrimp tostadas.
- Peach muffins with almond flour.
- Healthy banana breakfast muffins.
- Lighter no-bake cheesecake.
- Cherry clafoutis.
- Almond Joy brownie bites.
- Iced lemon zucchini bread.
- Lovely journal pages (not mine).
- 3-D printed planter chess pieces.
- Globe that that lights up and changes to constellations when it gets dark.
- Timelapses to help you pretend you’re on vacation.
- Astronaut Scott Kelly’s Instagram account.
- Star Wars balloons.
- R2-D2 in stained glass. (via Tor.com)
- Harry Potter wizard’s chess set.
- Eight fan films on YouTube. (via mental_floss)
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- R2-D2 desk vac.
- Perpetual Slinky escalator.
- Classic art recreated in Play Doh.
- Watch Sir Ian McKellen make scrambled eggs.
- A Pez movie is in the works.
- “Works of art recreated in Oreo filling“.
- S’Mores candy corn and pumpkin spice Peeps.
- “Buzz Aldrin had to file an expense report for his trip to the moon“.
- 10 sexting fails.
- 25 dating autocorrects.
- 15 food-related autocorrects.
- The Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) Instagram account.
- Silly black kitty.
- Baby red pandas! Baby red pandas! Lynx and babies! Egret and babies! Lions and babies! Baby turtles! Kitties!
Artists’ Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages by Lynne Perrella. Very good idea book/peek into the art journals of a number of artists. What’s particularly interesting about this book is it was published in 2004 – apparently the term “art journal” was just gaining traction.
Drawing from Life: The Journal as Art by Jennifer New. Very good look into the journals of 31 people whose journals fuel their creativity and work. Many of the contributors aren’t artists per se – an engineer, a volcanologist, a gardener, travelers – but all the journal excerpts are highly individual and artistic. Also, the book’s graph-paper themed pages give the impression that the book itself is a journal.
“I like these books. They are my books now. You can’t return them to the library, Mom.” -Mayhem