- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance), AAR (romance), and Tor.com (PNR)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- “Romance is not a feminist genre – and that’s okay“.
- Yet another reason reading fanfic lures some of us away from mainstream fic.
- Bring “squick” back to fandom.
- Important announcement about parentheses.
- Some Goodreads humor.
Do, Think, Learn, Make
- “If you threw cookie dough at the sun, how long would it take to bake?“
- Neil deGrasse Tyson will have a late night science talk show called Star Talk.
- Tour the Sriracha factory.
- Theater attendance hits a 19-year low.
- “Why the flu vaccine doesn’t always work“.
- The things that will be more expensive in 2015. (via Lifehacker)
- “Why are there so many dead malls? The middle class is dying, too“.
- 7 meatless main dishes.
- 15 vegan recipes.
- 15 freezer-friendly main dishes.
- 17 make-ahead soups.
- Sweet potatoes with chickpea tomato sauce.
- Lentil soup.
- Sweet potato lentil soup with curry and lime.
- Shrimp and corn tamales with miso butter. (via The Kitchn)
- Sugar cookie popcorn. (via CRAFT)
- An extremely Minneapolis photo of someone ice fishing on Lake Calhoun in Uptown with the downtown skyline as backdrop.
- Smartish 9-volt battery that will contact you when your smoke detector goes off and before it starts beeping that horrible low-battery warning.
- Small LEGO scenes.
- LEGO-inspired furniture.
- Exoplanet travel posters from NASA.
- The Hubble Telescope celebrates its 25th anniversary.
- Photo of the Andromeda galaxy.
- Poignant short film about space exploration.
- Animation about hiding our true feelings.
- If you’ve missed playing The Oregon Trail…
- Design a hedge maze for the hotel from The Shining.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Water bottles that look like rolls of film.
- Supercut of all the times Carl Sagan said millions, billions, etc.
- Life-sized cake of Dame Maggie Smith from Downton Abbey. (via The Mary Sue)
- R2-D2 projection keyboard.
- Jaws-themed baby crib. (via Tor.com)
- “Belfie Stick”, so you can take selfies of your butt.
- The Handicorn.
- Self-adjusting smart belt.
- Japanese domesticated owl cafes.
- GM will use OnStar to send coupons to your car.
- Drive a car remotely with a smartwatch – what could go wrong?
- Swarovski fitness tracker.
- 11 autocorrect sexts.
- How worried you should be when things happen in the movies vs in real life. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
- Should’ve done something like this when Chaos was wearing the Cone o’ Shame.
- Decorating tips from Basement Cat.
- Maybe you should put that cat on a diet…
- Look! Over there! In the sky!
“Hmm. The socks appear even when there aren’t any naughty boys around…” -Mayhem
And without Mayhem:
Ravelry project page, if you’re curious about the yarn, etc.