- Lea’s giving away two copies of Lie With Me, the first book in Stephanie Tyler’s new military romance series, Shadow Force. Contest closes midnight EST, November 12 (today).
- Janna’s giving away an ebook copy of Sloan Parker’s forthcoming m/m romance, Breathe. Comment before November 16 for your chance to win.
- Non-US/Canada folks, go enter EH’s international only book giveaway, which closes at midnight on November 30.
- New releases and more: Lily (m/m romance), Elisa (LGBT fiction), SciFiGuy (SF & SFR, fantasy, YA, UF/PNR, UF Weekend Report), Fantasy Dreamer (fantasy, steampunk, PNR, UF, etc), Literary Escapism (PNR/UF news, contests, etc), Tor.com (YA paranormals), and All About Romance (romances, romance audiobooks).
- Largehearted Boy is keeping track of all the online “best of 2010” book list he can find – check out his list and let him know if you come across other lists that he needs to add!
- Ever wondered why so many publishers are so bad at building relationships with readers/consumers?
- One of this week’s big kerfuffles online was over a self-published book for pedophiles being sold on Amazon, which they’ve since removed. Anderson Cooper provided one of the better assessments of the situation, prior to the book being removed.
- Another was over Cook’s Source, a regional magazine located in New England, which was caught using a writer’s work without credit or compensation, then said it was ok that they did so because everything on the interwebz is public domain. Whoops. Smart Bitches lists some lessons that can be learned from the mess.
- New York Times bestselling author Angie Fox is self-publishing the next segment of her Demon Slayers series, The Last of the Demon Slayers, after getting the rights back from Dorchester.
- Authonomy is a social network focused on writing and owned by Harper Collins.
- Naughty Boys in the Backseat ponders whether reviews are for readers or writers.
- Do not follow this link if you are afraid of clowns. *waits for scream of horror from Bronwyn, who will not be able to help herself*
- The New York Times will start a bestseller list for ebooks in early 2011.
- Feeling overwhelmed by all the ebook reader choices out there? Check out the ebook primer at An American Editor to help you figure out what sort of reader to buy: Part 1 and Part 2.
- I had no idea that the most popular ebook reader remains the laptop computer.
- What are some of the other issues for ebooks, beyond piracy and DRM?
- A TeleRead contributor revised his estimates of worldwide interest in pirated ebooks down from 100,000-300,000/day to 10,000-30,000/day and speculates that geographical restrictions drive part of that demand.
- Dear Author wonders whether our attentions spans are getting shor… Oh! Look! Shiny!
- Kim Dare’s November newsletter has a free short story featuring two of the characters from the G-A-Y books (based on a photo I took!), plus the chance to win a free ebook.
Think, Do, Learn, Make
- Apparently the Minneapolis-St Paul metro area (aka the Twin Cities metro area) is the most relaxed metro area in the US. Who knew? (Thanks, trek!)
- There might be a liberal gene.
- From Lifehacker, the best ways to fight a cold (although regular exercise will cut your chance of getting one in half), how alcohol affects your body and mind, and don’t believe everything you hear about food affecting mood.
- Drowsy drivers cause around 17% of vehicular crashes and 2% of fatalities. Stay awake and alert out there, people!
- Nearly 300,000 eggs were recalled because they might be contaminated by salmonella.
- Apparently it’s better to have lots of little things that make you happy, instead of just a few big things.
- Another cool infographic on the life and death of a US one dollar bill.
- Kristi has crafting, food, and natural living linkity.
- Knitting and dyeing linkity from Marsha.
- NSFW WTFery from Katiebabs.
- OK Go’s latest music video was made using 2430 pieces of toast.
- If you can’t find your phone and don’t have another phone to call your phone to see if that helps you find it, try I Can’t Find My Phone.
- You really need to make tentacle pot pies for dinner tonight.
- Two gay men used Skype to have a legal wedding in Texas! Go, ingenuity. And… Truth.
- I don’t even know what to say about this wacky video JCP found.
- Is your life incomplete because you don’t own cuddly talking bacon?
- Um. I’ll pass on the veiny tights, thanks.
- Ick. I’ll pass on the pumpple cake, too.
- Not exactly sure how a bra that can say “Welcome” in three languages promotes tourism…
- Alabama can now boast the first drive through sex toy shop!
- You know about the UPS ninjas, right?
- Confused about privacy and the internet? This diagram might help.
- Possibly too true to be truly funny… (Thanks, Jase!)
- Ack! An alarming turn in the Squirrel!Neo saga!
- The real reason the dinosaurs died out… (Thanks, Jase!)
- Ever had an auto-correct mishap? Then you’ll enjoy Damn You Auto Correct.
- I’ve definitely felt like this before!
- It’s hard to beat how cute sleeping animals are. (Thanks, Jase!)
- Sassy bunny! Baby otters learning to swim! Baby panda! Raccoon dog pups! Kittens! Baby sloth! Piglet! Kitten hug! Baby ocelot! Melly! Red panda! Kittens! Hedgie! Baby opossum! Red panda! Kittens!
Reading Update (plus another bit from vacation)
- Looking for my Reading Update? I posted it earlier this week.
- And hey, CarrieK has a picture of me on the beach taking pictures of the waves – plus she talks a bit about her beloved GPS, Lee.
“Clean paw, clean paw, I’m going to have a clean, clean paw!” -Mayhem