Congrats to Trix, who won Kick at the Darkness by Keira Andrews!Â Kick at the Darkness was released on May 28 by KA Books.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance) and Dear Author (romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Lots of book news and linkity from Book Riot.
- “Reading romance despite other people’s efforts“.
- Lovely bookstores. Bookstore cats.
- A Vine of the rare Edward Gorey book The Tunnel Calamity.
- An automated book transportation system.
- Some ways to get out of a reading slump.
Think, Learn, Make, Do
- What would your name be if you were born today or born in the 1890s? (via ofgeography) My name today would be Victoria. In the 1890s – Myrtle. D’oh.
- Ha! “A statistically representative climate change debate“.
- Yay, Ireland!
- “Fandom in/as contact zone“.
- Tumblr and ageism.
- Thai stuffed sweet potatoes with red curry sauce. (via bronpunzeling)
- 20 best recipes from The Splendid Table. (via blue–spruce)
- Spaghetti squash with asparagus, ricotta, lemon, and thyme.
- Braised peanut curry chicken with Thai gremolata.
- Scrambled egg tacos with avocado and salsa verde.
- Grilled ceasar buffalo chicken salad. (via The Kitchn)
- Pear and almond cake.
- Big pink rhubarb cake.
- Coffee and chocolate scones.
- Birthday cake popcorn.
- Funfetti mug cake.
- Corn tortillas.
- Quinoa taco salad.
- Pizza bites.
- “Twix” ice cream.
- Angel food cake.
- Miniature S’mores pies.
- Chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches.
- Cinnamon raisin scones.
- Crochet yourself a mermaid lapghan. (via bronwyngreenauthor)
- Make a Death Star pinata.
- Animated knitting-themed musical short. (via knittyBlog)
- Knitting linkity from kmkat.
- Oh, these Fisher-Price Little People playsets of days gone by bring back memories… (via gilajames) (We had the jetport, the parking garage, and the barn.)
- The Frank Lloyd Wright gas station in Cloquet, Minnesota. (via stuffaboutminnesota)
- Very Unusual Gryphons. (via malkinisms)
- Aerial photos of London.
- Moody Minneapolis.
- Minnehaha Falls.
- A picture I took of a lawn penguin.
- My neighborhood – a historical view.
- Short animated film about what happens when you accidentally drop an engagement ring in the ocean.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Garden Daleks.
- Redshirt garden gnome (scroll down to see that particular gnome). (via Tor.com)
- Scratch-off world map.
- Light-up inflatable Death Star beach ball.
- 16 work autocorrects.
- What if various social media sites were Game of Thrones houses?
- Maslow for 2014.
- Placebo blocker. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
- A minute of hockey kids falling down.
- How to be a cat.
- Tiger! Kitten! Kittens! Baby heron! Tiny goats in sweaters (video)! Baby clouded leopards! Kittens! Baby red pandas! Baby clouded leopards! Kittens! Penguins! Wolf and babies! Kitten! Baby penguin! Black cat in a crafty situation!
Girls Growing Up on the Autism Spectrum: What Parents and Professionals Should Know about the Pre-Teen and Teenage Years by Shana Nichols, Gina Marie Moravcik, & Samara Pulver Tetenbaum. I skim-read this not as a parent, but as an adult with an ASD looking looking for better understanding. I do think this would be an excellent resource for parents – it’s very well-researched and practical.
Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate: A User Guide to an Asperger Life by Cynthia Kim. Excellent book about the life-changing discovery that you’re autistic in your 40s. (Oh, how I could relate to THAT.) Based on Cynthia Kim’s blog, Musings of an Aspie, this book is packed full of everything Kim’s learned since her diagnosis, backed by research and supported by stories from Kim’s life.
Indexing by Seanan McGuire. Good contemporary fantasy about the ATI Management Bureau, an agency devoted to keeping fairy tale narratives from gaining power and warping reality. First person narrator and ATI team leader Henrietta Marchen is herself a Snow White in abeyance. (Maybe it was just me, but I definitely wondered if this story was inspired by the Thursday Next novels of Jasper Fforde).
Sad but true story – I can’t quite figure out whose tail that is. (It’s been over six months since I took the picture.) Chaos has a slight kink near the end of his tail, and there could sort of be a kink near the end of the tail in the picture, right??! Plus it looks more like his fur than May’s. I’m pretty sure…