- tRump sent a cease and desist to the publisher of Fire and Fury: Inside tRump’s White House. The publisher responded.
- Linkity from Smart Bitches.
- Linkity from Inkophile.
- Linkity from Bookwyrm Knits.
- “A brief history of the Big Dumb Object story in science fiction“.
- Beowulf goes to the movies.
- “Pamela Dean’s Tam Lin changed my life“. (Hmm, might be time for a reread.)
- “How to build a reading nook“.
- Songs about bookstores.
- There’s allegedly a Starbuck’s secret Harry Potter menu.
Make, Think, Learn, Do
- The coelacanth.
- The scaly-foot gastropod.
- The strange tale of the Earring Magic Ken doll. (NSFW language, probably.)
- Dealing with dry eyes.
- Legislative trolling.
- The Diane and Alan Page Collection is on display at the Minneapolis Central Library.
- Oprah’s speech at the Golden Globes.
- I hope none of you have a 2006 Ford Ranger…
- It snowed in the Sahara Desert.
- The Minneapolis Mega-Murder.
- A new record prime number has been discovered – and it’s “almost 3 miles (5 km) longer than the previous record prime”.
- 20 salmon recipes.
- “17 one-pot meals that aren’t soups or stews“.
- Red lentil sweet potato soup.
- Slow cooker golden chickpea soup.
- Slow cooker root vegetable cider stew.
- Huevos rancheros tacos.
- Lemony broccoli pasta.
- White chicken chili skillet dip.
- Pumpkin oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. (via jmcbks)
- “Small, chocolatey ways to be kind to yourself“.
- President Obama will be the first guest on Letterman’s new show, My Next Guest Needs No Introduction.
- Pretty journals.
- A+ dramatic and ominous photo from downtown Minneapolis.
- Space images from NASA for your computer or phone background.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Game of Thrones-themed ice hotel in Finland. (via Book Riot)
- Cadbury Creme Egg Trifle.
- Fake theme park art show.
- You might live in Northeast Minneapolis if this is something you’ve seen. (Yes, that IS a unicycle with either an all-terrain or a snow tire on it…)
- A printer that can turn paper into fake leather, wood, alligator skin, etc.
- “Guardians of the Galaxy is leading the unlikely cassette tape revival“.
- Dragon with tree frog legs.
- Fruit dragons.
- “What if the Homeric texts are actually just a very long game of D&D“.
- This really only makes sense if you’re on tumblr.
- Autocorrect and stormy weather.
What It Is by Lynda Barry. Very good book about how to get started writing, presented in Lynda Barry’s inimitable style of illustration. This older book covers some of the same ground as Syllabus: Notes from an Accidental Professor, but with less drawing involved. If I had to pick just one, I would definitely go for Syllabus. (Even though Syllabus doesn’t have the helpful Magic and Creative Cephalopod.)
May’s mind is apparently blown from whatever she’s absorbing from The Master and His Emissary there…