- If you missed Monday’s art journal update…
- I’m taking a class called “Art as Journal” from Articulture in Minneapolis – the class has only met once so far, but I enjoyed it!
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance), Dear Author (romance), and Tor.com (UF/UH, genre benders, fantasy, scifi)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- “Kirk and Spock’s place in queer history“.
- “Is our concept of ‘well-read’ elitist?“
- “On loving books I can’t remember“.
- Ideas for getting out of a reading slump.
- Microsoft has 240+ technical ebooks you can download for free.
- 32 words not generally used to describe the weather anymore.
- The origin of “OK”.
- 65 reading nooks. (via literaryescapis)
- Six Sesame Street parodies related to books.
- Cover snark from Smart Bitches.
- A particularly wtf book cover indeed.
Think, Do, Learn, Make
- Wil Wheaton on depression and anxiety.
- Avoiding con crud.
- View from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency on Monday, July 6. You know the fires in Saskatchewan and points west have to be crazy big for it to be smokey in Minnesota (and as far south as Tennessee?!).
- Watch objects orbit the Earth in real-time.
- 13 tidbits about Crayola.
- Infographic about music and productivity.
- Which cookie dough ice cream has the most cookie dough?
- Spiced roasted cherry smoothie.
- Chicken Creole with mushroom dirty rice.
- Shrimp and argula salad with preserved lemon dressing.
- Salmon burgers with lime mayo.
- Grilled cherry tomato, corn, and goat cheese pizza.
- Popeye pesto tofu scramble.
- No-bake strawberry lemonade pie. (via Lifehacker)
- Halfway cookie bars.
- Mini peanut butter icebox cakes.
- Peanut butter s’mores bars. (via puckling)
- Nutter Butters.
- Coconut macaroons.
- Vegan strawberry shortcake.
- Zucchini ricotta gnocchi.
- Quick cottage cheese rolls.
- LEGO butterfly sculpture.
- “Eros” sculpture.
- Black cat cafe!
- Chicago Blackhawks flipbook tribute.
- Short spaghetti Western scifi film.
- 11 years of the Mars Opportunity rover condensed down to eight minutes.
- Safely explode dangerous chemicals via YouTube.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Loch Ness colander spoon.
- Floppy drives playing the US national anthem.
- Flying R2-D2.
- Bluetooth Star Trek communicator.
- “This free font automatically redacts NSA surveillance trigger words“.
- Pizza crust made from fried chicken.
- Hybrid of mozzarella sticks and nachos.
- Batman suit made from tree bark.
- “Oreo Thins“.
- Key Lime Pie Oreos.
- Words are powerful.
- Game of Thrones + autocorrect.
- Guess the (Cake) Wreck.
- Exceptionally tiny bunny.
- Planted cat.
- On this week’s episode of Cat Hoarders…
Art Journal Art Journey: Collage and Storytelling for Honoring Your Creative Process by Nichole Rae. Ok book probably best suited for someone getting started with art journaling who prefers a minimalist text and photograph style without much additional color. (So, not me.)
Bury Your Dead (Three Pines #6) by Louise Penny. The series continues with this slow-building story about fallibility, the power the past holds, and healing.
The Hangman (Three Pines #6.5) by Louise Penny. This novella was written for a series of books for Canadian adults with reading difficulties. So the fact that it isn’t written in Penny’s usual style and that it could be set at almost any time during the series makes a lot more sense now. Feel free to skip this novella entirely.
A Trick of the Light (Three Pines #7) by Louise Penny. This installment suggests there’s a lot of personal and emotional trauma coming in Book 8 for many of the main characters. I’m already feeling anxious about it!
“Can’t I be melted in peace, Mom?” -Mayhem