- And lo! a complete rainbow was seen through my living room window this evening:
- It is surprisingly hard to take a decent picture of a rainbow with a cell phone camera through a window… or maybe not so surprising.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance) and Tor.com (UF, genre benders, fantasy, scifi)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Ellora’s Cave is suing Dear Author. Update from Dear Author about the Ellora’s Cave suit.
- AAR writes about the Ellora’s Save suit against Dear Author. So does VacuousMinx. So does Smart Bitches. So does Kaetrin. Plus a signal boost post from Kaetrin.
- Dear Author on anonymity.
- “In defense of romance novels or Imma read what I want“.
- Doesn’t sound like ebooks are hurting print sales in the US. (via Emma Sea)
- Visualization of bestselling books since 2000.
- Le Petit Jedi. (via The Mary Sue)
- Shakespearean… lip balm?
- We’ve all read these fanfics… (via solarcat)
Do, Think, Make, Learn
- 15 unusual October holidays.
- 40 years of US household income inequality.
- Cars from 1999 and above don’t need tuneups.
- London’s converting phone booths into solar charging stations.
- What if everything was antimatter except Earth?
- 17 recipes using apples. 11 more recipes using apples.
- 10 recipes using fall vegetables.
- 10 decadent mac & cheese recipes.
- Butternut squash on toast.
- Vegan pumpkin pancakes.
- Chickpea, pumpkin, and sage stew.
- Roasted broccoli chickpea burgers with spicy mayo. (via The Kitchn)
- Healthy skillet lasagna. (via The Kitchn)
- Mexican chicken soup.
- Chorizo avocado grilled cheese. (via The Kitchn)
- Stuffed pizza skulls. (via The Mary Sue)
- Pumpkin cake.
- Pumpkin cheesecake pudding shots. (via CRAFT)
- Chai spiced apple cider.
- Starbucks-style apple pound cakes.
- Apple butter layer cake.
- Hot chocolate cookies.
- Pumpkin chocolate cranberry biscotti.
- Spinach dip with homemade onion soup mix.
- The top 10 opening montages from the CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada. (Some of these gave me chills.)
- Beware your stick figure drawings!
- The Duet, an animated video.
- NASA’s mission posters are delightful. (via Tor.com)
- The One Ring fire pit. (via The Mary Sue)
- LEGO Doom.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Granola bars with Pop Rocks in them. (via The Kitchn)
- Windows95 backpack.
- “FTC: You cannot lose weight by wearing caffeinated underpants“.
- No. No woman should own 15 cat dresses, no matter how amazing.
- Tetris is being made into a live-action movie.
- 25 best drunk texting autocorrects.
- September’s 25 best autocorrects.
- The iOS keyboard completes movie quotes. (Hover your cursor/long-press for additional text.)
Street Magic (Black London #1) by Caitlin Kittredge. Pretty good London-based urban fantasy about a detective inspector who discovers the informant she’s meeting is the mage she thought died over a decade ago – a death that left her traumatized. We’ll see how far I make it into this series…