- If you missed it Monday and are curious, some recent abstract pages and non-abstract pages from my art journal.
- Blodeuedd’s giving away an ebook copy of Midsummer Dreams by Alison May. Closes July 2.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Lots and lots of bookity linkity from Book Riot.
- Amazon might start paying authors based on the number of ebook pages people actually read…
- “Publishing and the (un)predictability of reader taste“.
- How to get started reading Connie Willis. (One of my favorite authors!)
- Some thoughts from an employee at a used bookstore.
- Some tidbits from the most recent OED update.
- “11 old-fashioned words for idiots“.
- A very bright Little Free Library I encountered last week.
Think, Do, Make, Learn
- What the ALS Association has been doing with the money raised as a result of last summer’s ice bucket challenge. (via zarathuse)
- No more personal belief vaccination exemptions for kids in California. Finally!
- Make a onesie for an overgrooming cat.
- Sploid tried to figure out how sturdy hockey pucks are.
- More uses for chickpea liquid in vegan cooking.
- Make a solar-powered charger in an Altoids tin.
- Short film about the life cycle of an iPhone.
- Whoops. The pricey Beats headphones are made from parts worth less than $17.
- Bill Nye explains climate change using emoji.
- A new part of the human body has been discovered.
- Yes. This.
- Sloppy vegan joes.
- Summer squash soup with coconut milk.
- Summer squash shakshuka with baked eggs.
- Baked summer squash.
- Raw Thai citrus crunch salad.
- Kohlrabi and carrot slaw.
- 10 recipes with melted cheese.
- 10 main-dish zucchini recipes.
- 20 breakfast recipes with fruit.
- Olive oil zucchini bread. (via The Kitchn)
- Molten truffle mochi waffles. (via may1girl)
- 10 popsicle recipes.
- Scarf knitted via brain waves.
- Minneapolis yarnbombing. (via stuffaboutminnesota)
- Knitting linkity from kmkat.
- “Chelsea Dagger” played by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. (via Puck Daddy)
- New mural in Uptown Minneapolis.
- Google Street View tour of El Capitan.
- Stones sorted by color.
- 9 lovely photos of weather.
- Video from the ISS about life in motion on Earth.
- A short film about variations on the story of Cinderella around the world.
- Violent short scifi film shot entirely in moonlight.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Migraine simulator.
- Six-year project to crochet a map from Super Mario Bros. (via alexwhitehall)
- Oh! This picture of the world’s largest boot (at the Red Wing Shoe Company headquarters) reveals the size of the boot.
- And hey, check out the world’s largest otter.
- Cat paw socks to protect your floor from chair and table legs. (via The Mary Sue)
- Escher-inspired furniture.
- Ice-cream flavored breakfast cereal.
- Beer-scented grooming products.
- And this sort of thing is why I never scan QR codes…
- 25 Father’s Day autocorrects.
- Hopefully cat dads had a good Father’s Day, too.
- What you will see on a roadtrip across the US.
- On “proper” Minnesota salad. (via stuffaboutminnesota)
- Phil Tippett demoted in Jurassic World?
- I’d be slain by the dragon if I tried this!
- Black-necked swan and babies! Cheetah and babies! Cat and kitten! Pygmy slow loris and teeny tiny baby!
A Rule Against Murder (Three Pines #4) by Louise Penny. Good continuation of the series – the Chief Inspector and his wife are staying at a lodge to celebrate their anniversary when death visits the unhappy family reunion also at the lodge.
Aspertools: The Practical Guide for Understanding and Embracing Asperger’s, Autism Spectrum Disorders, and Neurodiversity by Harold S. Reitman. DNF @ 33%. I really wanted to like this book. I liked some of the information in it, but unfortunately I found the author’s style too annoying to continue reading. YMMV.
Doodles Unleashed: Mixed-Media Techniques for Doodling, Mark-Making and Lettering by Traci Bautista. DNF at 43%. Maybe the formatting of the ebook made this seem kind of chaotic? Maybe the paper book is less a nonstop and thus somewhat overwhelming list of prompts? YMMV.