- Becky Black’s giving away a selection of her ebooks and paper books. Close 6 pm GMT, November 14.
- Becky Black’s also giving away an ebook copy of her forthcoming f/f romance, Into the Sunrise. Closes 9 am GMT, November 17.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (romance), AAR (romance), and Dear Author (romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author. (Plus tech news.)
- “Burnt out vs moving on: Subgenres we don’t read as much anymore“.
- Why “writers shouldn’t romanticize rejection”.
- “Coloring books based on novels“.
- “Comfort and Joy” gift guide from Smart Bitches.
- Black kitty in a bookstore!
Think, Make, Learn, Do
- Sony finally gives up on Betamax.
- Science has proven Victoria’s Secret perfume is a good mosquito repellent.
- Science has also developed a porous liquid. (Science has been busy!)
- Speaking of which… read the first chapter of Bill Nye’s new book, Unstoppable: Harnessing Science to Change the World.
- Short video overview of the geologic history of North America.
- Listen to wax cylinder recordings from the late 18th and early 19th centuries.
- The New York Times and virtual reality.
- 9 exercises that don’t require equipment.
- The story of a pilot who changed the world.
- “Everything I love is problematic“.
- Thai chicken meatballs with coconut curry sauce.
- Roasted butternut squash puree with goat cheese.
- Stuffed winter squash.
- Quick and easy black bean soup.
- Hasselback apples.
- 14 fall pies.
- Cider cheesecake pie.
- Avocado cacao mousse.
- One-dish chocolate cake.
- Peanut butter cup cheesecake. (via gronkowskis)
- Peanut butter and jelly pie.
- An assortment of cake and pie recipes that go well together.
- Stuffed portobello mushrooms with roasted root vegetable risotto.
- Extra flakey sour cream pie crust.
- Pumpkin/Sweet potato pie.
- Milk and cookie shots.
- Carrot coconut macaroons.
- Crayola now has a line of coloring books for grownups.
- 10 intricate coloring books.
- How to knit fake Latvian Braid.
- Crafty linkity from kmkat.
- To all my friends, with love, me. 🙂
- Fandom greeting cards. (via alexwhitehall)
- Amazing aerial photos of cities.
- Award-winning architectural images.
- Animated version of Carl Sagan’s Pale Blue Dot monologue.
- Short film about the process being as important as the product.
- Post-apocalyptic short film.
- 10 lovely journals.
- Sensors that contact you when you need to water your plants.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Octopus typewriter. (via pipervaughn)
- Death Star waffle maker. (via puckling)
- Buff Spock paper doll.
- Giant LEGO TARDIS.
- Used car vending machine.
- Sugarplum flavored Peeps.
- A Chewbacca can cozy seems to guarantee you a mouth full of fake fur with every drink. (via The Mary Sue)
- Alarm clock that slaps you awake.
- Simon’s Cat and the Cone of Shame.
- Ah, linguistics… (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
- On the isolating effects of technology. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
- Very clever, Utah.
- “Nightmare on Sesame Street”, Cake Wrecks style.
- Cat logic. (via emmaseasall)
- Video of a black kitty “assembling” a packing box! Panda and babies! Kittens! Nyala and baby! Kitty! Kitten! Red panda and baby! Kittens!
Artful Collage from Found Objects by Ellen Spector Platt. Ok book about using what you have on hand to make mixed media collages. I enjoyed looking at some of the projects in the book, even though they weren’t art journal relevant.
The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make It Your Own by Traci Bunkers. Good overview of materials and techniques for art journaling – I’d think this would be particularly useful for someone just starting to art journal. (FYI – I checked this book out from the library without the DVD, so my review is only for the book.)
You can’t really tell from this picture, but he started to stretch and fell asleep in the middle of doing so…