- New releases: Fiction Vixen (romance) and Dear Author (romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Bookity linkity from Smart Bitches.
- “100 awesome things about Beverly Cleary on her 100th birthday“.
- Ink and pen linkity from Inkophile.
- Sunita with an update on her various journals and planning systems.
- Writers’ notebooks.
- 100 weird novels.
- “How to spring clean your Goodreads TBR pile“.
- Collective nouns for animal groups – always fun to revisit.
- Famous poems rewritten as limericks.
- Awful tweets from Awful Fantasy.
- Harry Potter The Breakfast Club parody trailer.
Do, Learn, Make, Think
- Animated look at the importance of zero.
- “We now know why bearcats smell like buttered popcorn“. (Included entirely because the title amused me.)
- The importance of self care.
- The science of apologies.
- “The National Weather Service will only use its FAMOUS ALL CAPS FORECASTS for emergencies“.
- As long as it isn’t a film strip projector…
- Death Valley super bloom.
- Take a look inside an Etch-a-Sketch.
- Could a bird deliver a pizza to someone on a plane?
- Loch Ness Monster found! 😉
- Thai red curry risotto. (via The Kitchn)
- Stir-fried cabbage in peanut sauce.
- Stir-fried garlic, tofu, and eggplant.
- Stir-fried chile-lemon shrimp and rice noodles.
- Stir-fried beef and asparagus.
- 13 asparagus recipes.
- 15 recipes with melty cheese.
- Cauliflower and mushroom tater tot breakfast casserole.
- Apricot newtons.
- Cake that looks like Jupiter. (via mental_floss)
- Sew some pocket extenders to make the pockets in women’s pants actually useful.
- Make your own transforming purse.
- Knitting linkity from kmkat.
- NASA doesn’t like it when climate change deniers try to misrepresent its work.
- LEGO sculptures of famous buildings.
- Yellowstone mammal migrations.
- Animations of old penny arcade machines.
- Historical photos animated.
- New York City from above.
- Online circuit simulator.
- The White House Science Fair.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Free coloring book page… of artichokes.
- Robert Downey Jr in a bunny suit.
- Scratching posts printed with famous works of art.
- Poutine Stanley Cup.
- “Someone ported Flappy Bird to an e-cigarette“.
- Cricket flour.
- At-home cheese cave.
- “The CIA wants beauty products to collect your DNA“.
- Darth Vader made out of sex toys. (NSFW)
- Darth Vader, Cake Wrecks style. Scary lamb.
- Wikipedia talk pages for cities. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
Book + Art: Handcrafting Artists’ Books by Dorothy Simpson Krause. Lovely look at creating books as art objects – the author has an amazing body of work, although I was definitely ready for a break from earth tones by the end. She covers a wide array of topics beyond book making and binding, from making a gelatin sheet to print from (look online for a recipe that is shelf-stable instead) to making a collapsible piercing cradle (the secret to getting your sewing holes straight through your signatures).
“It’s not very nice to sit on me, big kitty.” -Mayhem
“Like I care.” -Chaos
- Becky Black’s giving away ebook and print copies of her books – read the details and comment by April 14, 6 pm GMT.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (romance), Dear Author (romance), Smart Bitches (romance), Gizmodo (fantasy & scifi), and Tor.com (fantasy, scifi, genre benders)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Bookity linkity from Smart Bitches. And more!
- Text like Shakespeare.
- Jane Austen Reading Room. (via stuffaboutminneapolis)
- Magers & Quinn is walking distance from me…
- “The impact of a single book“.
- “18 undeniable things all people who are obsessed with journals know to be true“. (via notebookmuseum)
- “14 old-fashioned words for writers“.
- “N” words.
- “R” words.
- Inkish linkity.
- Paper World.
- Australian kids’ books about animals…
- Abridged comic versions of literary classics.
- School librarians parodying “Bohemian Rhapsody”. (via mental_floss)
Think, Make, Learn, Do
- Look at pictures of penguins for science!
- Weird holidays in April.
- “Physics-themed homage to Wicked“.
- Ada Lovelace in 30 seconds.
- “21 vegetarian burgers, wraps, and sandwiches“.
- Banana split smoothie.
- Chai tiramisu.
- Black velvet nebula cake. (via gilajames)
- I loved this movie back in the day and I still own the soundtrack. Pretty sure I shouldn’t ever try to watch it again, though.
- I have the t-shirt.
- Harry Potter fan film.
- LEGO Bat Cave.
- If medieval explorers made maps of Mars…
Cool or Wha…?
- Hedgehog cafe.
- A rocking chair that knits.
- Underdesk hammock.
- Ice skating T-Rex.
- Warp speed noise generator.
- “Hipster white noise generator simulates working in a crowded coffee shop“.
- Beer marmalade.
- Pork curry-flavored cola.
- Counterfeit coffee?!?!
- “University backtracks on company-funded study claiming chocolate milk could treat concussions“.
- Cat battle armor, which you can 3D print yourself.
- “Manson family murderer mailed handwritten edits for his wikipedia page from prison“.
- LEGO French fry vending machine.
- Tribble livestream.
- Jack and Jill, xkcd style. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
- “Peep” shows.
- What was the first murder mystery dinner?
Collage Journeys: A Practical Guide to Creating Personal Artwork by Jane Davies. What it says in the title. 🙂 Definitely one I’ll pick up for my collection – I think I like it the best of the collage-related books I’ve read.
Mixed-Media Journals: Creatively Chronicling Your Life by Katherine Duncan Aimone. My guess is that this scrapbooking book was all written and the editor decided they should try to pick up the art journaling crowd, so they changed the title and did a search and replace to use “art journaling” instead of scrapbooking a few times near the beginning of the book.
*bright cute thoughts* -Mayhem
*nefarious thoughts* -Chaos