Congrats to Susan65, who won Ex Equals by L.A. Witt! Ex Equals will be released on September 18 by Amber Allure.
Congrats to Kimberly, who won the Fire Trilogy (Kian, Darach, and Eoin) by RJ Scott! The final book, Eoin, is now available from Silver Publishing.
- Tracy’s giving away a copy of Primacy by J.E. Fishman. Contest closes 7 pm PDT, September 17. US & Canada only.
- Bronwyn Green’s giving away an ebook copy of Elise Hepner’s latest, Roped Emotions. Contest closes the evening of September 18.
- Joder’s giving away an ebook copy of the winner’s choice of one of Danielle Gavan’s books (Ardeur, Cursed, Tarnished Tiaras, or UnWrapped). Contest closes 11:59 pm, September 21. International entrants only.
- Blodeuedd’s giving away two sets of Leigh Michaels’ books The Mistress’ House, Just One Season in London, and The Wedding Affair. Contest closes September 26.
- Patti’s giving away her ARC of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. Contest closes September 26.
- I now have a tumblr. Mostly it’s going to be quotes, random observations, videos of songs that I love and that have moved me, lyrics, and some of my photos. Near the bottom, you can see some of the things that I’ve liked elsewhere on tumblr.
- New releases and more: Book Lovers Inc (a little of everything) and Literary Escapism (UF/PNR).
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- An American Editor on how the roles of editor, proofreader, etc., are blurring and the effect that blurring has on price editors can charge for freelance work.
- “Authors say agents try to ‘straighten’ gay character in YA.” (Thanks, Bron!)Â The agents in question respond. The Mary Sue used the original post as a springboard to look at the state of YA publishing.
- “He beats me but he’s my publisher.” Traditional publishing… has issues. (Thanks, Bron!)
- Vacuous Minx looks at the actual probability of some of the events that occur regularly in romances.
- Twenty worst children’s book covers. (Thanks, Bron!) But… why isn’t this book on the list?! (via The Mary Sue)
- The Goodreads M/M Romance Group has put out a special free ebook collection of stories from authors who will be attending GayRomLit in New Orleans next month.
Think, Do, Learn, Make
- Make chalkboard paint in a custom color. I love this. I want to do this to all my walls! Talk about the perfect medium for notes to myself… (via The Kitchn)
- Research further suggests that men’s testosterone levels drop when they’re around kids a lot, leading them to be more nurturing.
- Research, so suggestive this week…
- For an annual fee, you can get an enhanced service from UPS that will provide a four-hour window when your packages will be delivered, among other things.
- If you have a wandering pet, maybe you need to pick up a pet tracking GPS device that can be attached to a collar.
- Do some gas math before driving to save a few pennies a gallon. (Hover your cursor over the comic for additional text.)
- Make Instagrahams! (via CRAFT)
- Make a Halloween wreath from embroidery hoops. (Darn it, CRAFT, I’m really not mentally ready to start a Halloweenity section.)
Cool or Wha…?
- Lederhosen MacBook sleeve. Really. I can’t make this crap up.
- A man had surgery to have an eel removed from his bladder after it swam up his urethra during a spa treatment. (via Gizmodo)
- Amelia Earhart reappears! (Hover your cursor over the comic for additional text.)
- Kittens! Fox kits! Kitten! Tiger! Kittens! Baby fennec! Cat and kittens! Baby penguins! Kitten! Leopard! Kitten! Baby ferrets! Baby kudu! Opossum and babies! Ferret! Bun!
When Irish Eyes Are Smiling (Irish Eyes #1) by Tom Collins. free online story. Very good free m/m romance about two guys who live in the same building, each surreptitiously eying the other for the past several months. It was refreshing to watch a relationship develop and to see them working through issues in what felt like a realistic fashion.
When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (Irish Eyes #2) by Tom Collins. ebook. reread. Very good m/m romance about a bi-curious artist with a heart of gold (whose family owns the Irish Eyes pub) and a paramedic who avoids emotional entanglements. My only complaint is a plot thread involving a voicemail and an attack that never went anywhere.
Must Be Love by Dallas Coleman. ebook short. Very good short m/m romance about a barista who moved out of the house he shared with his doctor boyfriend, but they continue to hook up with each other.
The Book of Daniel (St. Nacho’s #4) by ZA Maxfield. ebook. Good m/m romance about Jake’s brother, Daniel, who was seriously injured in the previous book. He’s still in St. Nacho’s going to physical therapy, waiting for his divorce to go through, admiring a handsome firefighter from afar, and getting grief from people about substituting money for emotion. I would have liked this better if it hadn’t made several time jumps near the end, which I thought made the story seem disjointed and somewhat rushed.
Can’t Be His (His #3) by Shawn Lane. ebook short. Sweet short m/m romance about an exterminator and a world class figure skater who are roommates, have been friends for years, and have secret crushes on each other.
Library Science Just Got Sexy by EM Lynley. ebook short. Ok short m/m story about a professor involved with a student (although not a student in his program). This is pretty much just a couple of semi-public sex scenes. (And was also previously released as Public Exposure.)
Emerald Moon (Prides of the Moon #2) by Ann Mayburn. ebook short. Ok short paranormal m/m romance about a puma shifter who hasn’t seen his mate since killing his mate’s serial killer brother many years ago. I suspect I won’t be reading more in this series, since it sounds like most of them will be m/m/f.
Love at First Sight (Home #4) by Cardeno C. ebook. Ok m/m romance about a high school senior on a trip to NYC who falls in love with a guy he sees at the hospital holding a newborn and crying. After he graduates, he moves to NYC to find his dream man again, but things don’t go as he had hoped. This book was painfully sweet, which isn’t my favorite thing. And there were several points in the book when the head hopping drove me nuts.
“Aw, come on, May. Don’t hold a grudge.” -Chaos
“You pulled fur off my butt! Again!!!!! You are mean, big kitty!!!!” -Mayhem