- Check out Monday’s post (“Where have all the contests gone?“) if you missed it.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance)
Think, Learn, Make, Do
- Amazon Prime memberships now include music. Gizmodo reviews what’s included and how to use the service.
- Make a crossbow from office supplies – sounds like a sure way to liven up your day at the office!
- xkcd illustrates what will happen without CO2 emissions limits. (Hover cursor for additional text.)
- The ice is finally out on the Great Lakes! Don’t go rushing to grab your swimsuits, though – Superior’s water temp is in the 40s (F) (4-9C).
- Can you name the most abundant mineral on Earth? Hint: It was just named last week.
- How to make a fabric basket bowl (video) (like the purple one frequently pictured with Mayhem napping in it). (via Love & Hisses)
- Minneapolis – Lake of the Isles.
Cool or Wha…?
- The terrible crossover fanfiction idea generator. (via marilenalena) “Your challenge is to write crossover fanfiction combining South Park and the Little Mermaid. The story should use unclogging a toilet as a plot device!” Erm, no.
- Black-footed cat kittens! Baby red pandas! Albino baby skunk! Kitten! Baby red wolves! Baby koalas! Penguin! Poor lost baby moose! Penguins! Bison and baby! Baby olinguito!
Breakaway: The Inside Story of the Pittsburgh Penguins’ Rebirth by Andrew Comte. Good look at the decline and rise of the Pittsburgh Penguins, from 2004 through the beginning of the 2010 season when the new arena opened. I started reading this shortly before GM Ray Shero was fired and finished it the day before Coach Dan Bylsma was fired (although after Shero was fired, I assumed Bylsma would go, too). So I read this from an odd, sort of cynical place…
Taking his apparently much-needed nap.