- New releases: Fiction Vixen (romance) and Dear Author (romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Linkity from Smart Bitches.
- Writerly linkity from Becky Black.
- Best fonts for ebook readers.
- Women in Science picture book.
- Sir Ian McKellen reads letters from Roald Dahl. (via The Mary Sue)
- If you enjoyed reading or watching The Martian…
- “50 verbose verbs to drop into everyday conversations“.
- AO3 tag of the day.
Learn, Do, Make, Think
- Count seals in Antarctica on satellite maps to help scientists. (via neighborhoodr-minneapolis)
- Positive things that have happened in 2016.
- On the passive consumption of media.
- The only way to actually get a flat stomach, no matter what the supermarket tabloids promise.
- “Why can’t kids these days just work their way through college the way earlier generations did? The answer to that question isn’t psychology. It’s math.” (via malkinisms)
- Learn more about the heat index.
- Watch lava flowing from the Kilauea volcano.
- “Scientists discover mysterious purple blob at the bottom of the ocean.” Oh oh. I think I saw that movie…
- 25 summertime slow cooker recipes.
- 10-minute black bean tacos.
- Make one deviled egg.
- Summer squash gratin.
- Chickpea blondies.
- Brownie for one.
- Frozen Oreo pie.
- Smoky corn and shrimp fritters.
- 10 biscuit recipes.
- S’mores for special diets.
- Nutella cookies.
- Morgan Freeman narrates himself playing Pokemon Go. Sir David Attenborough narrates Pokemon Go.
- Nichelle Nichols/Lt. Uhuru Barbie!
- “You are never too old for fandom“.
- The year’s best astronomy photos.
- A year on Earth.
- Mr Little Guy.
- Photos taken by locals and visitors in Minneapolis.
- More supervisors should realize this.
- The classic video game, “The Oregon Trail” (“You have died of dysentery”) is now a card game.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Human LEGO minifig.
- LEGO Pizza Hut machine.
- Poop emoji plunger.
- “Toronto is getting a poop-themed dessert bar“. My condolences…
- Pumpkin spice Lindor truffles.
- Autocorrect and pizza night.
- xkcd on language. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text)
- xkcd on walking into things. (The hover text/caption makes it, so you must hover your cursor or long-press to read the additional text.)
- Hawk checking out a weather camera! Fox and baby! Baby clouded leopard! Baby Little Blue Penguin! Turkmenian flare-horned markhor and babies! Purple gallinule and baby! Scottish wildcat and baby! Andean bear and baby! Moose and baby!
Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks by Ken Jennings. I found this in a Little Free Library in my neighborhood! 🙂 This was an extremely enjoyable look at many things map-related, from the National Geographic Bee to geocaching to Google Earth to maps in fantasy novels (Brandon Sanderson fans take note, as Sanderson and Jennings were college roommates). Jennings’ writing is filled with delightful footnotes and irresistible tidbits of information and at times definitely reminded me of the writing of Bill Bryson.
May was also traumatized by the same storm that traumatized Chaos. Or she’s having an existential crisis. It’s hard to tell from that expression.