- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance) and AAR (romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- “Our bankrupt critical culture”.
- Is there a romance subgenre you think needs more books?
- Scifi/fantasy books by women of color. (via ofgeography)
And More Gift Guides…
- Smart Bitches: Part 4.
- The Mary Sue: Geek chic.
- Travel tools and organizers.
- Office organization.
- Home organization.
- Life-improving books.
- Not-too-expensive kitchen luxuries.
- For “budding chefs”.
- For music geeks.
- For those into science. Even more science gift ideas.
- A list of The Kitchn’s holiday gift guides.
- Ideas for knitted gifts.
Think, Do, Learn, Make
- 15 things you might not have known about The Matrix.
- Time lapse of the International Space Station being assembled.
- History of space travel via art.
- Free online access to Albert Einstein documents.
- There’s a cat cafe opening in New York, and it’s taking reservations.
- “The soaring US outbreak of vaccine-preventable disease, visualized“.
- Elvis chocolate bark.
- Cookie butter.
- Pumpkin pie cookies.
- Eggnog marshmallows.
- 10 recipes using eggnog.
- Giant jelly donut cake for Hanukkah.
- Spaghetti squash latkes.
- Harvest salad with delicata squash and kale. (via The Kitchn)
- Salty maple squash with ginger scallion rice and turmeric Brussels slaw. (via The Kitchn)
- Roasted delicata squash, cauliflower, and chickpea curry. (via The Kitchn)
- Kale gratin.
- Avocado puff tart.
- Tom kha gai.
- Fresh cranberry scones.
- Gingerbread granola. (via The Kitchn)
- 10 recipes for Brussels sprouts.
- Smart Bitches lacy cowl.
- Make your own Chuthumas tentacle wreath. (via Tor.com)
- Knitterly links from kmkat.
- Hand-knitted stop motion video.
- 35 space movies mashed into one video.
- Trailer for The Little Prince.
- Snowshoe snow art. (via mental_floss)
- Four-ton Rube Goldberg machine built by National Geographic.
- The Science Love Song”.
- Battle of Hoth in LEGO.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Cookie cutter for making wee gingerbread houses.
- Lawn dice.
- Rent an ugly holiday sweater. Or buy one from the ugly Christmas-sweater only thrift store.
- “Tweed jacket imbued with the scent of whiskey“.
- Beard baubles. (via mental_floss)
- Vomiting Santa sweater.
- Roaring Wookiee diary.
- We all knew there would be casualties from the TGIFriday’s mistletoe drone, right?
- Real-life autocorrect/typo.
- The importance of wording.
- “The forbidden Top Gun trailer“.
- Cake Wrecks that leave me wondering if the bakers/decorators even tried.
- Black kitties who need homes! Baby tigers! Penguins and baby! Cuddly kitties! Baby porcupine! Baby lion! Lioness and baby!
Hockey Prospectus 2013-2014 by Timo Seppa, Ryan Schwepfinger, and Jesse Spector. Ok preview of the 2013-2014 NHL season, with a detailed section on each team. Probably most useful for serious hockey number crunchers or for those with a fantasy hockey team.
What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe. Delightful, humorous, and thought-provoking read in which Munroe answers a wide array of “what if…?” questions sent to him by blog readers and proves, yet again, that science can be fun. Now, if only Munroe would write a high school physics textbook…
“It is good to be free of the cone.” -Chaos (His cornea is completely healed!)
*creepin’ in the background* -Mayhem