Congrats to Renee, who won Danny and Mike by Valentina Heart!Â Danny and Mike will be released by Silver Publishing on September 29.
Congrats to Serentiy, who won Love Comes Silently by Andrew Grey! Love Comes Silently will be released on October 1 by Dreamspinner Press.
Congrats toÂ Victoria H and Marsha S, who each won Dex in Blue (Johnnies #2) by Amy Lane!Â Dex in Blue will also be released by Dreamspinner Press on October 1.
*Because a catastrophic Firefox crash took out my plugins and left me VERY CRANKY…
- Chances to win backlist ebooks from JL Merrow and Josephine Myles on the Hot Pressure blog tour at Pants Off Reviews and Tam’s Reads.
- Blodeuedd’s giving away a signed copy of Season for Surrender by Theresa Romain. Contest closes October 5.
- Tracy’s giving away an ebook copy of Starved for Love by Annie Nicholas. Contest closes 7 pm PDT, October 7.
- New releases and more: Tor.com (UF, genre benders, fantasy, scifi) and Literary Escapism (UF/PNR).
- If you purchased a Nook or Kindle ebook of JK Rowling’s Casual Vacancy, you may be experiencing formatting frustrations.
Think, Learn, Make, Do
- Other nut butters have been added to the peanut butter recall.
- Veggie skeleton. (via The Kitchn)
- Asparagus quiche with spaghetti squash crust. (Thanks, Jeanne!)
- Loaded potato skillet. (via The Kitchn)
- Green curry shrimp. (via The Kitchn)
- Make your own Nutella. (via Lifehacker)
- Macrame flashback. (NSFW)
- Knitted sandwiches. (via knittyblog)
- Make a bat mobile. Heh. (via CRAFT)
- Carve rocks with a Dremel. (via CRAFT)
Cool or Wha…?
- Zombie corset. (via The Mary Sue)
- Black panther and baby! Egret! Black kitten! Cheetah butt! Baby cheetah! Tiger! Tiger! Snow leopards! Cheetah and baby! Swans! Tigers! Cheetah and babies! Snow leopard! Baby tiger! Baby tigers! Baby red pandas! Valais blacknose sheep! Kitten! Red River hog and baby! Kittens! Tree kangaroo and baby! Tiger and baby! Baby leopards!
The Hot Floor by Josephine Myles. ebook. arc. Very good m/m/m romance about a glassblower who’s attracted to the couple living downstairs from him. As they become friends, his attraction only increases, but he respects their rule about not getting involved with people they see all the time. And then things change in a flood of surprising circumstances…
Heart in Hand by salifiable. free ebook/online fiction. reread. Very good m/m romance about two hockey players on rival teams who become friends – and more – through an unusual turn of events. I got sniffly more than once while I was reading this one. What didn’t work so well for me were all the hockey details in the last third of the book, which got to be a bit much. (Note that this is, as Kate puts it, set in an alternate universe and features two real-life NHL players.) Reread: Just as good, if not better, on the reread. My eyes leaked this time, too. Reread the second: Yeah, I read it twice this week. 🙂
If Heaven’s Hypothetical by Shoemaster & Impertinence. free ebook/online fiction. Very good m/m romance about a guy who runs away from home and his minor league hockey team in Canada because he doesn’t think he has a choice. And then he becomes friends with a vaguely familiar guy who keeps coming into the diner where he waits tables…
At the End of All Your Lines by Lake (beyond_belief). free ebook/online fiction. Surprisingly sweet short m/m romance about best friends and hockey teammates who get drunk married in Las Vegas.
Not a Heart of Gold by queeniegalore. free ebook/online fiction. Steamy short m/m romance about a hockey player who becomes obsessed with the thought of his teammate and best friend as a hooker he can buy.
Inferno by Scarlet Blackwell. ebook. Good m/m romance about a closeted cop who’s pissed at a sexy club owner for being tempting… oh yeah, and for being a murder suspect, too. 😉 Over-the-top drama ensues.
Baked to Death (Simon Kirby-Jones #4) by Dean James. Good gay mystery in which an old friend shows up trying to regain Simon’s affections and a medieval fair provides a dangerous distraction. This was the last book in the series and one thing had to happen for me to be happy with how it ended. I’m happy. 🙂
How to Quit Playing Hockey (Hockey #1) by Isa K. ebook. Good m/m romance about two closeted minor league hockey players whose idyllic summer together ends with the start of the new season as one is sent up to the majors and the other faces the possibility of being cut from the team and trying to define a post-hockey life.
There’s Cock in This Book (Hockey #0.5) by Isa K. free ebook short. reread. I should’ve refreshed my memory and reread this before reading How to Quit Playing Hockey! Good short m/m story about a deeply closeted minor league hockey player who survives by keeping his head down and blending in… until the new guy on the team hits on him. With a bit more proofing and a less abrupt ending, this would have been a 4.5 star read.
Another Dead Republican (Tom & Scott #13) by Mark Richard Zubro. ebook. Good gay mystery in which Tom and Scott head to Wisconsin to support Tom’s sister after her loathsome husband was murdered during a gubernatorial recall election. A titch more editing would have helped on this one.
Summerboys by stlkrchck. free ebook/online fiction. Good m/m romance about two camp counselors who don’t communicate with each other very well. I think this one’s probably more fun if you have actual familiarity with the hockey players who inspired the fic.
*admires the unbearable cuteness of Mayhem*