Stop by and enter the contest for Across the East River Bridge by Kate McMurray! Contest closes 7 pm CDT, October 10.
- To win your choice of two books from LA Witt’s backlist, answer her question in the comments of the contest post by October 5.
- Joder’s giving away a dvd copy of the third season of Fringe. Become a follower and comment by 11:59 pm, October 8, for your chance to win. US only.
- Book Lovers Inc is giving away three different prizes (m/f erotic romance ebooks by Gracen Miller, plus a skull cameo pendant/pin for the first place winner). Comment through October 8 for your chance to win.
- New releases and more: Elisa (GLBT), Tor.com (YA SFF, UF/PNR/horror, fantasy, scifi), Literary Escapism (UF/PNR), Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog (a little of everything), and Book Lovers Inc (a bit of everything).
- It’s Banned Books Week, and the Mary Sue notes that “women authors and books for young women top the ALA’s 2010 list of challenged books“.
- Wave wonders whether we’re hitting saturation in m/m romance. A response. (You can track down many more response posts, too.)
- Miss typewriters, but like the convenience of word processing? Maybe USB Typewriter can help! (Thanks, Bron!)
- The big news this week was the bazillion new Kindles that were announced, including a tablet, the Kindle Fire. Having trouble figuring out which Kindle you should get? This flowchart might help.
Think, Do, Make, Learn
- “If you’re not paying for a service online, then you’re what’s being sold to advertisers and marketers.”
- The Washington Monument is shut down indefinitely while engineers assess how badly it was damaged by the earthquake.
- The North American Dialect Map is fun to explore. The heavy MinneSOHtah accents you heard in Fargo? You’ll find them in the Iron Range Dialect Area in northern Minnesota. (Thanks, Bron!)
Cool or Wha…?
- A jacket designed so you can carry 22 pounds of stuff on your body instead of paying for it in your luggage when you fly.
- Kittens! Albino hummingbird! Kitten! Baby red pandas! Kitten! Baby leopard! Kitten! Baby Tasmanian devils! Kitten! Lioness and cubs! Kitten! Cygnets! Baby fennec fox! Many baby pandas! Red panda and babies! Baby pandas! Otter and babies!
Woke Up in a Strange Place by Eric Arvin. ebook. Very good fantasy m/m story about a man who wakes up in the afterlife, with no memory of his prior life, and, with the help of a cryptic guide, begins a journey to recover his memories and make his peace with the significant people from his life.
Blood Howl by Robin Saxon & Alex Kidwell. ebook. Very good paranormal m/m romance about a guy, formerly Special Forces, who now offers those skills for hire. When a job goes in an unexpected direction, he has no idea how much his world is about to change… If a few more questions had been answered by the end of the book, this could have been a five-star read. Maybe there will be a sequel?
Ex Equals by LA Witt. ebook. Very good m/m romance about a guy, formerly in the Navy, who has just started teaching math at a community college and discovers that his ex (still in the Navy) is in his evening class.
In Remembrance of Us by AJ Rose. ebook. Very good m/m romance about a guy suffering from amnesia after a mugging. He’s missing the last two years of his life… including he and his best friend becoming much, much closer. I got sniffly while reading this one. (Be aware that there’s cheating, which I realize is an automatic no for some readers.)
Boystown 3: Two Nick Nowak Novellas by Marshall Thornton. ebook. Two very good historical m/m mysteries about Chicago PI Nick Nowak. It’s 1982, and no one really understands why gay men are getting sick… 🙁
Bulletproof (A Matter of Time #3/#5) by Mary Calmes. ebook. Enjoyable roller coaster of a read that picks up three years after A Matter of Time. Sam’s been away from home in deep cover for months. Jory’s working a job he hates and trying to extricate himself from the complicated interpersonal situations he tangles himself into.
A Little Bite of Magic (Magic #1) by MJ O’Shea. ebook. Sweet paranormal m/m romance about a witch/chef who leaves his pretentious family behind in New Orleans to open a restaurant in San Francisco.
Happy Trails by Carol Lynne. ebook short. Good short m/m romance about a college student out hiking with his cop brother and his brother’s hot work partner. This read like a snippet from a longer book rather than a complete story, which I found frustrating.
“I am sooooooooooooo bored.” -Mayhem