Make sure you enter the contest for Two Hearts One Voice (Mending the Rift #3) by Valentina Heart! Closes 7 pm CDT, June 1.
- Paul Bunyan rockin’ out to 89.3 The Current:
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance) and Tor.com (PNR)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Lots and lots and lots of bookity linkity from Book Riot.
- Writerly linkity from Becky Black.
- Thinkity linkity from ReaderWriterVille.
- Thoughtful post from jmcbks about the changes in “Romland spaces”.
- “Romance: Our literary inheritance“.
- “How I lost control of my ereading“.
- 40 unusual words that start with the letter Q.
- Book-inspired fragrances.
- “A reader’s manifesto“. (via TeleRead)
Think, Make, Learn, Do
- Do you know where the Spacecraft Cemetery is?
- Happy 157th birthday, Minnesota!
- Whoops. Do you think they’ll ban microwaves at this observatory now?
- What science can tell us about the last 50ish years in music.
- Write an essay, pay $75, submit a cupcake recipe, win a bakery in Vermont.
- How’s your (US) palindrome week going?
- Now coffee’s good for us! (via The Kitchn)
- Plate tectonics at work.
- If you’ve ever wondered how to use the International Space Station’s toilet works…
- What would the star-studded Team Canada’s cap hit be (World Hockey Championships)?
- Chocolate prune cake.
- Chocolate-peanut butter pudding.
- Peanut butter brittle cookies.
- 10 recipes using peanut butter.
- 15 last-minute cookie recipes.
- 10 recipes using tofu.
- Spicy lentil wraps with tahini sauce.
- Quinoa salad with spring radishes and greens.
- Garden bean salad.
- Roast chicken and three-rice salad.
- Tuscan ribollita (soup).
- Grilled cheese breakfast sandwich.
- Vegetarian breakfast posole.
- 5 “cake-inspired oatmeal recipes”.
- Rhubarb bellini.
- Whole-grain bread.
- “Bisquick”-like pancake mix and pancake bites.
- Little Debbie-inspired brownies.
- No-churn frozen yogurt.
- Short animated film about fears.
- Short animated film about a future in which clouds are the only source of water.
- Try out music from my favorite band, Cloud Cult, for free.
- Tour van Gogh’s paintings.
- A map with 13 years of the Earth’s cloud cover.
- Looking at lightning from space.
- Tiny LEGO amusement park.
- LEGO Death Star.
- Google Maps, LEGO-style.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Baseball glove flask.
- Chocolate Oreos with lemon creme centers.
- How vibrators are used as a honeybee substitute for pollination. (NSFW?)
- “Police arrest three suspects in a restaurant burglary after finding a ‘steady trail of macaroni salad’“.
- “53 signs your boyfriend is really three children in a trenchcoat“. (via urrone)
- Garden gnomes.
- Belated happy cat mom’s day!
Ideas & Inspirations for Art Journals & Sketchbooks by Suzanne McNeill. Ok short collection of examples from McNeill’s own “Sketch-Journals”, along with some tips for starting your own such journal and a list of basic supplies.
Painting Nature in Watercolor with Cathy Johnson: 37 Step-By-Step Demonstrations Using Watercolor Pencil and Paint by Cathy Johnson. Very good book about using watercolors (primarily watercolor pencils) to capture scenes from nature, ranging from forests to mountains to water to desert. Lots of great detail about technique and materials, too. (In the conclusion, Johnson mentions her friend Hannah Hinchman – I can definitely see similarities in their styles and subject matter!)
I am AspienGirl: The Unique Characteristics, Traits and Gifts of Females on the Autism Spectrum by Tania A Marshall. This was an odd book. Each page had a quote from an “AspienGirl”, another from some sort of adult caregiver (parents, teachers, grandparents, psychologists, etc), and a photo. The appendices had additional detail about typical characteristics/symptoms of females with Aspergers/high functioning autism and how female characteristics differ from those of males. The overall effect was chaotic and shallow. Plus the whole “AspienGirl”(r) annoyed me…
I am not sure how May can breathe whilst sleeping on her face like that…