Congrats to Eden Winters, who won Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen, Book 1) by Rachel Haimowitz. Also, Guiltless Pleasure Publishing is offering 10% off on Counterpoint through October 16 to Stumbling Over Chaos readers who use coupon code CHAOSCOUNTER. Thanks, GPP!
- Lea’s giving away a copy of Lora Leigh’s Nauti and Wild anthology. Comment by midnight EDT, October 8.
- LesleyW wonders whether you read book prologues or not. Leave a comment answering her question by October 9 for your chance to win a copy of the Cravings anthology.
- KB’s giving away a copy of Backstage Pass (Sinners on Tour) by Olivia Cunning. Comment by October 9 for your chance to win. (US & Canada only)
- Mandi’s giving away a copy of Kalayna Price’s new paranormal romance, Grave Witch. Comment through October 9 for your chance to win.
- Leave a comment at Cecile’s by October 10 for your chance to win a Kobo ereader and free ebooks as part of Cherish D’Angelo’s virtual book tour.
- Leave a comment at Flint Knits before October 12 sharing which design from Knitting It Old School is your favorite for your chance to win one of two signed copies of the book.
- Patti’s giving away an ebook copy of Moira Rogers’s new paranormal romance, A Safe Harbor. Comment by October 13 for your chance to win. S7anna’s giving away a copy, too – you have until October 15 to comment.
- Tracy’s giving away a copy of Adrienne Barbeau’s new paranormal romance, Love Bites. Comment by 11:59 PDT, October 13, for your chance to win.
- Fiction Vixen is giving away your choice of Carolyn Crane’s Mind Games or Double Cross! Contest closes October 14. (US & Canada only)
- Em Woods is giving away books from Suzanne Brockmann, Catherine Mann, Karen Harper, Lori Foster, and Patricia Mason. Comment by October 15 for your chance to win.
- Cecile’s giving away a copy of Daughter of Darkness by V.C. Andrews. For your chance to win, leave a comment finishing the sentence, “If I were adopted by a vampire….” by October 15.
- Sweet Vernal Zephyr’s giving away an assortment of swag: bookmarks, books, ebooks, booklets, and more! Comment by October 22 for your chance to win.
- EH has her monthly international-only book giveaway posted – check it out if you are outside the US and Canada. Contest closes midnight GMT October 31.
- New releases and more: Lily (m/m romance – I look forward to this post every week! Thank you, Lily!), Literary Escapism (UF/PNR), Fantasy Dreamer (UF/PNR/YA, etc), and SciFiGuy (fantasy, YA, UF/PNR)
- On Monday, October 11, Dear Author will celebrate National Coming Out Day by giving away GLBT ebook and print romances.
- Patti wonders whether or not you should contact authors to tell them about a good review you posted.
- Lynn Viehl on the ten Zen habits for writers.
- Don’t worry about walking on the books in this cafe.
- Authors will particularly enjoy the top ten signs that you’re on a deadline…
- LesleyW explains her fictional ferret book rating system.
- Vampire Wire has links to free paranormals at Borders, plus an amazing trailer for True Blood done as if it were a Jane Austen film.
- Now through November 19, you can send comments to the US Commerce Department’s Internet Policy Task Force on “the protection of copyrighted works online and the relationship between copyright law and innovation in the Internet economy.”
- TeleRead on how DRM promotes piracy and why readers hate DRM.
- And hey! The new Blio eReader introduces yet another form of DRM!
- Dear Author has tips on how to make pdfs more readable on your ereader’s 6″ screen.
- The seven secrets of ebook publishing success from Mark Coker of Smashwords.
Learn, Make, Do, Think
- I never realized that there’s no wild broccoli! (Thanks, Jase!)
- These 20 salads are worse for you to eat than a Whopper. (Thanks, Alison!)
- Watch a guy eat as much sugar as is in a 20-ounce soda.
- Learn about how various illegal drugs affect the brain by putting cartoon mice into a chair. (Thanks, Jase!)
- If you use your laptop on your lap, please use a laptop stand/desk! Not only will it help keep your laptop from overheating (a major cause of laptop death), it will also keep you from developing Toasted Skin Syndrome. Ewww… (Although my current laptop has a built-in stand, I used to use one of these.)
- Did you know that a bit of vodka will remove sticker goo?
- As mentioned above, National Coming Out Day is Monday, October 11. Here are 50 good posts about coming out.
- Author Mark del Franco on who the truly dangerous bullies are. Author Rick R. Reed on how it gets better. Knitting humorist Franklin on how it gets better. (See link in my sidebar to Dan Savage’s It Gets Better project.) Katiebabs has some stats on bullying and a link to a great It Gets Better video. The Bloggess on talking to your kids about the consequences of being a bully. Author Stephani Hecht on how proud she is of her gay son. Author Heidi Cullinan on speaking out to support the GLBT community.
- Did you know that it’s GLBT History Month?
- You might be surprised to find a video of a homeless man, two Kermit puppets, and the song “Under Pressure” in this section – but it definitely made me think and changed my awareness of the song’s meaning.
- Halloweeny: Cauldron cupcakes! Styrofoam tombstones you can make for your yard! Storm trooper masks from a milk jug! Bracelet made from actual candy corn!
- The world’s largest yo-yo is made from two kiddie pools.
- We had inadvertent land carpet growing up – my mom didn’t feel like really carpeting our bedrooms, so she bought all sorts of carpet samples.
- Surely there’s someone on your holiday shopping list who would love an FU t-shirt?
- You can make your own official Star Trek merchandise at CafePress. I don’t like tea, but I do like the “Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.” mug.
- The updated map of online communities. (If you view it at xkcd, make sure you hover your mouse for additional text.)
- On being ok with being alone: “Lonely is a freedom that breathes easy and weightless. And lonely is healing if you make it.”
- The people who brought you Bacon Lip Balm also make Bacon Baby Formula…
- A business card with breasts… I fear to imagine what a rent boy’s business card would look like! O.o
- Firefighters watch a house burn to the ground because the owner didn’t pay a $75 fee.
- Um, yeah – pretending that downloaded music doesn’t exist is going to work so well for the Boy Scouts (who probably taught their parents how to download music in the first place).
- If you love chicken nuggets and ever plan to eat them again, do not click this link.
- Being the further adventures of Squirrel!Neo from Lilith Saintcrow.
- Completely NSFW linkity from Eyre.
- I am not surprised that it’s a black kitten…
- Knitters with cats: I really wouldn’t recommend trying this.
- Baby lynx! Baby tiger! Kittens! Baby sea otter! Rawr kitten! Bunny slipper! Tree kangaroo! Red pandas! Kittens! Melly! Baby Basement Cat! Baby hummingbirds! Kitten! Kittens! Puppy! Kitten! Duckling! Kitten! Red panda! Kitten! Kittens! Baby leopard! Puppies! Sloth! ‘Tocktober!
Lime Green: Margarita Mondays by T.C. Blue. ebook. Very good m/m romance about an interior designer with trust issues who has friends over every Monday. After a noise complaint and confusion literally bring security guards crashing through his door one Monday night, he finds himself unwillingly attracted to one of the security guards. (I hope that TC’s going to write Riley’s story very soon, although so far she seems to mostly be taunting me about it on Goodreads.)
The Beach House by Shawn Lane. ebook. Sweet, good m/m romance about a model who overdosed and was sent to rehab. Post-rehab, his agent rents him a quiet house on the beach for the summer, to get him away from bad influences and help him figure out how to have a more normal life.
Get What You Need by Janey Chapel. ebook. Very good m/m story about a cop and an ex-con who connect briefly, with unexpected depth. Be aware that this doesn’t have a HEA or even necessarily a HFN ending – it’s a good read anyway.
Code Blue (EMS Heat, Book 5) by Stephani Hecht. ebook. Good m/m romance about a firefighter/EMT who’s hostile and deeply suspicious of motives when a friend’s ex-boyfriend shows up unexpectedly.
Temptation by Kim Dare. free ebook short. Sweet short m/m romance about an initiate, about to be consecrated to the goddess Artemis, who wanders away from the group on the way to the temple.
Ellery’s Duty (Thrown to the Lions, Book 3) by Kim Dare. ebook. Very good kinky paranormal m/m romance about a human dominant who allows himself to be “thrown to the lions” because he wants to make sure that the subs who go through the process are treated well. He certainly doesn’t expect to meet the innocent and atypical werelion Kefir…
Gayish (G-A-Y, Book 12) by Kim Dare. ebook short. Very good short kinky m/m romance about a dominant who spots a young man huddling in the rain at the bus stop across from a gay pride rally and goes over to talk to him… (I’m sad that this is the last book in this series!)
The Jitters by Fabian Black. ebook. Two cute short stories about Trevor and Luke, who have just purchased a house and moved in together. Alas, things aren’t going so smoothly…
Backwoods by Cara McKennea. ebook. Very good, gritty m/m story about a straight bar owner who auditions a musician and is completely unprepared for (and not so happy about) his attraction to the man. Be aware that this doesn’t have an HEA or even HFN ending.
After Anna (Book 1) by Theda Black. ebook. So-so m/m story about a police detective who’s not doing so well after his girlfriend dies and he learns she was a junkie. His partner and best friend is always there for him… and things get complicated. The style made this more oblique and confusing then it needed to be, but I was drawn into the story anyway. Be aware that there’s no HEA or even HFN.
Touch Like Breathing (After Anna, Book 2) by Theda Black. ebook. Ok m/m romance continuing the story of two police detectives who aren’t doing so well with their attraction to each other. While there was an awful lot of back and forth, on again, off again (to the extent that it seemed excessive), I still got drawn in and had to find out how things turned out. (Yes, you’re right, that’s Candy Cane Guy on both covers!)
Island of Temptation by Claire Thompson. ebook. Ok m/m romance about two guys, one bi, one straight, who end up stranded on a desert island after their cruise ship sinks. I definitely like Claire Thompson’s newer stuff better than the older… and yet I can’t stop myself from reading the older stuff. Make of that what you will!
His Dirty Little Secret (Sammy & Friends, Book 3) by Stormy Glenn. ebook. Meh m/m romance about a black police detective who sets up a fuck buddy relationship with a white nurse in their extended group of (gay) friends, under the condition that no one can find out about it. This was more spectacularly trainwrecky than the usual SG – it seemed as if the plot holes and character inconsistencies exceeded all previous levels.
Dreggers Deep by J. Rocci. ebook short. Ok short m/m story that probably would’ve been more interesting to me if I were following the Dregs series by J. Rocci.
“I can’t believe the big kitty said that stripey socks aren’t what life’s all about. He’s just jealous that he doesn’t have any stripey socks.” -Mayhem
31 thoughts on “Lasso up some linkity!”
Lol, so much greatness today
A recent post from blodeuedd..Review- The Usurper – Rowena Cory Daniells
I just found Theda Black work recently – I am hopeing to get some read soon…
There are a few there I need to catch up on – Stormy being the main one. I have the first Kim Dare (lion books) reading this weekend – if it’s a fast pace, I just might get to Marrick’s Promise.
I did see that Smart bitches article – made me snicker…
That deadline article is so me recently…I can’t even find time to blog hop…Deadline, hate them..
Hey May – still socking it I see…
Love Earl Grey tea, hot. Might have to get one of those mugs 🙂
Great links as usual!
A recent post from Alison..Two Scarves and Some Towels
Chris-I watched that Being Alone on YouTube- and it’s so well done. I think they’re from Halifax, and they’ll be doing more of those.
A recent post from Lorraine..A Bit of a Case of Baskets
LOL, yeah, that’s because he’s too busy swiping grins off visitors people’s faces to really be concerned about your stripey socks, Mayhem.
Oh man, I so wish I could get milk jug! I’d so make a storm trooper mask.
A recent post from Brigitte..In Which Malcolm Files A Complaint
Thanks for the mention. 🙂 There is so much linkity goodness here, I think I will save it all for my lunch break!
Oh wait… I just read storm trooper mask in the comment above me. Bridgitte. Oh no. I LOVE storm troopers… YAYAYAY
A recent post from Miranda..Fantasy Contest Bar Illustrated
Holy crap, I have to check out that book cafe next time we’re in NY (I say that as if we’ll be there again, yeah, we probably will be.) It freaks me out, looks like they’ll fall on your head. Wonder if they look as real in person?
Ha! Loved the ferrets.
You know why wild broccoli doesn’t exist? Because nature is smart and has good taste. It tastes awful, therefore should die a natural death, clean up the veggie gene pool, etc. Damn scientists keeping it alive. Yes, I eat it, because it’s good for me and I think it’s the kid’s fave veggie. Damn kids these days. Weird.
I had fun playing with the mice and learned something.
Love that quilt too.
Wow, that’s a lot of royale icing.
Jade Buchanan often has her Barbie boys doing rude things, and wearing BDSM gear. LOL
The gay steamroller almost made me snort coffee out my nose.
On to the books. That sneaky hidey Tis refusing to tell us about Riley. She’s naughty. I really enjoyed that book.
I enjoyed Code Blue and I’m kind of curious about the Kim Dare lion one despite the fact that I nearly didn’t finish the first one. However I’d like to see what’s up with Kefir.
I haven’t read most of the other’s but what the hell is Noah from KA Mitchell’s Diving in Deep doing with that blond guy? LOL It’s amazing how you can associate a guy with a character.
I didn’t realize Dregger’s Deep was part of an existing universe. It may have meant more if I’d read the others then.
Since I haven’t read the other two Stormy Glenn in that series I’ll save myself the frustration.
A recent post from Tam..Charity Sips 4
*blinks* Adrienne Barbeau is an author now? When did THAT happen?
The “Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.” mug must be accompanied by the “*stands up and straights shirt*” mug, I think.
A recent post from Marsha..The social construction of solitude
Holy crap I post long comments. LOL
A recent post from Tam..Charity Sips 4
Why waste vodka on sticker goo?
Mayhem, Big Kitty just doesn’t understand the meaning of life! You’re smarter.
A recent post from margene..This and That
I love the Jack Russell terrier pattern! That’s too cute.
Now we need a book for knitting different cats. 🙂 Then again, they don’t really vary as much in shape/body as dogs, do they?
I now have…. 12 tabs open based on those links – so there is some reading to do; and one of them is for Margarita Monday – trying to figure out if I can read it on the ipod. How could I pass up Margaritas!
Bacon baby formula? Way to get ’em started young with those great health habits!
I am so glad I am not on the pill! I’ve never been able to take it because of migraines. Yes! Fist bump! I have too many things going on in my mind at one time as it is.
A recent post from Julia Rachel Barrett..A bucket list of books
Oh May! Those socks can’t be comfortable to sleep on?
A recent post from beth..Slipper Time
I’m in complete agreement that Kelley Armstrong’s book covers need to stop looking like they are at all similar to Twilight. For one thing, can you imagine those who like Twilight’s version of “romance” reading those steamy scenes in Kelley’s books? Heh. I changed my mind. Keep the covers, just make sure to get the expressions on tape.
A recent post from Nicole..FO- Annis Shawl
Heh. Mel follows me into the bathroom so I’ll run the faucet for him. It’s really too bad that the leaky faucet in the house is downstairs, in the kitchen, where he’s doubly not allowed (downstairs, by the Other Cat; on the kitchen counter, by me).
Books on the ceiling, walls and the floor. Wow, that’s a strange look.
I did like the pencil bookcase.
Eek, that’s a lot of sugar in a soda.
I think I’ll stick to drinking vodka and use Goo Gone for sticker goo.
What a gorgeous quilt.
Hahaha, love the FU shirt and the Ear Grey cup. Even though I prefer coffee.
Really? Over a $75 fee?
Loved the literally page and the Gayroller too!
I thought for a moment there it was going to be two weeks in a row where I hadn’t read any of the same books as you but then I saw Claire’s Island of Temptation. I agree with you though. Her newer stuff is better. I do have a couple on my TBR and on my wish list too.
Thanks for the mention!! 🙂
A recent post from Lily..New Books Available – Week 40
life is about stripy socks, and saying ‘catywampus” as much as possible.
A recent post from ikisti..Aunti M
I so loveeeeee these kitties like they are my own! I hope your Friday was awesome!!!!! Hugs honey!
A recent post from cecile..Giveaway Welcome to the Dark Side
Oh-oh, and I NEED one of those mugs. Love Jean-Luc, and that’s one of my fav lines from him. I even occassionally mumble it to myself as I’m microwaving water to make tea (yeah, the super lazy way to make tea).
A recent post from Ava March..Cover Lovin – Beyond Reckless
I adore Simon’s Cat!
Yeah on the chicken nugget thing. Bleck.
A recent post from katiebabs..It Gets Better Donations and My Personal Video
My husband always refers to his tea as Earl Grey Hot.
A recent post from Mary Lou..End of Summer Contest
I don’t know why, but this is the first time I’ve clicked over to the Consumerist and stayed there. OMG. I’ve been reading stories for the since about 7:00 last night. I did go to bed around midnight….
That pencil bookcase is pretty neat. Thank goodness broccoli was cultivated – I love it! 🙂 I’d forgotten about the vodka hint for getting sticky stuff off.
Tamyra loves it best when I’m working on my computer as it means she can get on the desk between me and my keyboard and purr like mad whilst making me stroke her.
A recent post from mrspao..Gardening recap
Wow, Chaos I sure don’t want to get on the wrong side of you man!
Mayhem, you made me smile, you are just so darn cute.. And the striped socks – awesome…
Thank you once again for the mention Chris, you are so good to me. 🙂
Have a great weekend. 😉
A recent post from Lea..Winner of Wild Riders Giveaway!!
The pencil bookcase is such a great idea.
LOL at the ferret book rating system! Course the Pandora’s box pic is one of my favorites, mostly because I can so identify with it.
Years ago I was buying a crystal wedding gift and was shocked when the clerk used lighter fluid to take the stickers off. It worked really really well though.
That quilt is cool. Too bad I don’t really enjoy quilting.
Good videos in this week’s linkity!
A recent post from Sydney..What I was doing when I should have been posting here
I did know that about vodka. That’s why I always keep some in the house.
I really need a new vacuum. Not so much because there is a ton of cat hair, and more because the one from the condo is too big for the stairs.
A recent post from Seanna Lea..2 hours north of Kentuckiana
Links! YAH! Oh, Mark Del Franco – I love his Connor Grey books. (I keep hoping Connor will get together with the cute detective 🙂 Thank you Chris!
May – great plan. Get Chris to knit Chaos some stripey socks, and then you can catnab them!
A recent post from orannia..Overwhelmed
“Waitress, could you triple my order of Chicken Nuggets, and cancel the Strawberry Sorbet?”
Margarita Mondays sounds really good. I’ll put that one on my wish list. 🙂
Get What You Need too – even without the HEA or HFN.
A recent post from Tracy..Review- Shaken by Dee Tenorio