- New releases: Tor.com (YA fantasy & scifi, adult fantasy, adult scifi) and Smart Bitches (romance)
- Linkity from Smart Bitches.
- Linkity from Inkophile.
- “Singing the praises of the fanfiction community“.
- Cover snark from Smart Bitches.
- Thoughts on homework in Harry Potter.
- Some words invented by Shakespeare.
- Laundry Files (Charles Stross) primer.
- Tips for writing 2000 words/day for NaNoWriMo.
Think, Learn, Make, Do, VOTE
- “The existence of another poor person is not why you’re poor.“
- “People’s lives are not a thought experiment.“
- “…shattered his own record for lies.“
- “The rise and fall of the Gopher protocol“. (Thanks, emmaseasall!)
- Tips for managing seasonal depression. Snippet on the rise of major depression.
- 21 quotes from Carl Sagan.
- Creamy one pot chicken and rice.
- 10 chili recipes.
- 12 sheet pan dinners.
- 19 chocolatey desserts.
- Triple chocolate loaf cake.
- “Easy, foolproof pumpkin roll“.
- “Better-than-Starbucks” pumpkin bread.
- When you go to get a haircut and come home with a Czechoslovakian ultraportable typewriter…
- Knitted Starry Night blanket.
- Stephen Colbert dressed up as his favorite Lord of the Rings characters.
- NASA’s carved pumpkins.
- “Internet-famous gay penguin couple welcomes new chick“.
- Gift ideas from Smart Bitches.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Most of the news has been “Wha…?” during this past week. 🙁
Mr Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. Very good story about a guy in San Francisco who loses his marketing and design job in the Great Recession, then ends up working in a very, very odd bookstore.
The Rook and Stiletto (Checquy Files 1-2) by Daniel O’Malley. A woman wakes to find she’s standing in the rain, she’s surrounded by a circle of dead bodies, and she has no memories prior to that moment. Very good urban fantasy suspense! Looking forward to more books in this series.
Notes from a Public Typewriter by Michael Gustafson & Oliver Uberti. Very good collection of thoughts and other bits of writing from the publicly available typewriter in an Ann Arbor, Michigan, indie bookstore.
An Interrupted Cry (Sylvan Investigations 4) by Laura Ann Gilman. Good paranormal suspense series about half faun former cop and current private investigator Danny, who suddenly finds he has an employee – a powerful seer with self-esteem issues.