Nobody should have to deal with ransomware on their 50th birthday, dammit! It seems to be an issue with my work computer – I noticed it because there were a couple of dropbox folders that I synch between work and home and suddenly all the files in said folders were encrypted. Plus there was a helpful “pay us and we will decrypt your files” message. Not sure if it’s good or bad that I’m on vacation this week (although hey! I obviously didn’t click anything stupid on my work computer, since I wasn’t there…). Anyway, cleaning that up, restoring the folders from backup (I definitely recommend CrashPlan, which paid for itself in salvaging this mess), and sending an email to our support guys at work has consumed quite a bit of my linkity time. Let’s see how far I get in the time I have…
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (romance), Tor.com (genre benders), and Dear Author (romance)
- Linkity from Smart Bitches. Self-care linkity from Smart Bitches.
- Linkity from Inkophile.
- “Buying used books to save money and promote literacy“.
- “20 SFF reads to get you through the 5 stages of grief”.
- 13 things about Kurt Vonnegut.
- Literary tights.
Think, Learn, Do, Make
- Exactly my thoughts on 2016.
- This should not be our new normal.
- “Read NPR’s fact check of Donald Trump’s plan for his first 100 days in office”.
- “Scenes from the Emu War“.
- “Let’s make America smart again”.
- Explore the Galapagos.
- Vegetarian root vegetable pot pie.
- Pumpkin risotto.
- Scalloped sweet potatoes.
- Sweet potato pie.
- Pecan pie cake. (via elvenenchantress)
- Pumpkin dessert lasagna.
- Pumpkin pie in a mug.
- Dark chocolate pumpkin tart. (via stars-benn)
- Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.
- Slow-cooker pumpkin spice lattes.
- Horchata Mexican hot chocolate. (via stars-benn)
- Banana bread smoothie.
- Cornbread stuffing.
- Cornbread and mushroom stuffing.
- Puff pastry.
- Homemade pasta.
- 15 Thanksgiving recipes.
- Pumpkin pie.
- 10 sugar cookie recipes.
- Brutalist sand castles. (via cookietime)
- Animated version of a crazy famous painting.
- LEGO Panama Canal.
- Photos of the supermoon.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Play a “meditative farming game”.
- “Lin-Manuel Miranda’s family recreated The Sound of Music in Austria”.
- Death Star tree topper.
- Street View animator.
- “A British map labeled by an American”. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
- If you’ve ever wondered what the buttons on Darth Vader’s chest do…
- Autocorrect and purses. ALLCAPS autocorrect. Autocorrect and shopping.
- Baby sea otters! Baby cheetahs! Painted dog and babies! Jaguar and baby! Baby (giant) pandas! Baby (red) pandas!
My Day with the Cup by Sidney Crosby. It’s very sweet. And it having 87 pages is the most Sidney Crosby thing ever. (This is from the 2009 Cup win.)
Little Book of Letterpress by Charlotte Rivers. Interesting look at the work of various letterpress studios around the world. I would’ve loved for the “Letterpress in Practice” chapter to have been much longer.
Eight Million Gods by Wen Spencer. Anytime I end up reading a book in a single sitting because it completely sucked me in, that book is an automatic five-star read. Plus I’ve reserved Wen Spencer’s Elfhome series at the library and am looking forward to starting it soonishly.
Letterpress Now: A DIY Guide to New and Old Printing Methods by Jessica C. White. Very good overview of three types of printing presses (tabletop platen, freestanding platen, cylinder press), along with projects for each type.
*gazing adoringly at Chaos* -Mayhem