- Becky Black is giving away a selection of her books. Closes 6 pm GMT, May 14.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (romance) and Dear Author (romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- 40 A words. And 13 punctuation marks.
- Amazing sort of urban mythology story – highly recommended!
- “Queer subtext in The Little Mermaid“.
- Minimalist posters of famous libraries.
- Minneapolis is having a Little Free Library Festival next weekend.
- Summer reading road trip. (via neighborhoodr-minneapolis)
- Academic reading LOL.
- “If literary characters wrote fanfiction“.
Do, Learn, Make, Think
- Planks are hard work. (Definitely go read the linked article.)
- Patagonia timelapse.
- “…Composite photos retell the horror of the London Blitz“.
- Binary and hex basics.
- Minnesota had the first indoor shopping mall in the US…
- 24 Mediterranean recipes.
- Greek scramble.
- Quick green curry braised salmon.
- Key lime smoothie bowls.
- Black tea and orange juice ice pops.
- Sweet and savory lime granita.
- Fish sauce vinaigrette.
- Chai tea and honey butter.
- Chocolate cobbler. (via The Kitchn)
- A tribute to David Bowie that benefits Feline Rescue.
- “Prehistoric octopus painted with its own 95-million year old ink“.
- Retro national parks posters.
- The Lake Harriet elf house.
- Flask-shaped water bottle. Flat water bottles make so much sense!
- A short film about a pair of scissors.
- A silent film about hand-drawn cartoons.
- A short film about a spaceship.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Playing card notebooks.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup with Reese’s Pieces in it. Is that meta?
- Facehugger facewarmer.
- “There’s a Burger King in Helsinki that’s also a spa“.
- The Walking Dead coloring book is now available.
- You can turnÂ your Instagram photos into swimming trunks.
- Super 8 held a gallery show for its wall art.
- Message in a bottle. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
- This… would explain a lot, actually.
- “Life hacks from cats“.
- Kitten chasing a ping pong ball.
Amplified Art: Dynamic Techniques for High-Impact Pages by Kass Hall. I liked this one more than I expected to – it had some ideas and techniques that weren’t just variations on most of the other art journaling books. Not feeling inspired to go buy it, but I did take a lot of notes as I read.
An Illustrated Journey: Inspiration from the Private Art Journals of Traveling Artists, Illustrators and Designers by Danny Gregory. I enjoyed peeking into all the different ways people use art journals to document their travels, especially as I saw common themes emerge. And I’m a sucker for reading about the different supplies artists use, especially when they’re away from home.
He’s going to be asleep in 3…2…1…