- Becky Black’s giving away ebook and print copies of her books. Closes 18:00 GMT on March 14th.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (romance), AAR (romance), and Dear Author (romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Download 230 free stories (in a single volume, not individually) from authors who are eligible for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New [SFF] Writer in 2016.
- Bookity linkity from Smart Bitches.
- Pen linkity.
- Ink Miser seems handy for we fountain pen fans.
- 40 “D” words.
- 10 cool pens.
- The library on the US-Canadian border.
- “I before E except…“. (via gilajames)
- Writer’s mood ring colors. (via alexwhitehall)
- The Museum of Writer Rejectopia.
- Not a problem.
Do, Learn, Make, Think
- DreamHaven Books is back! (Possibly only really interesting if you live in the Twin Cities.)
- “Doctors are ‘failing to spot Asperger’s in girls’” (still relevant, 7 years later). (via jmcbks)
- Temple Grandin on how her autistic brain works.
- Trumpism and the GOP, in 29 tweets.
- South Africa on Street View.
- See all the US National Parks in a minute.
- Particle physics animation.
- All of humanity’s various space explorations on a single poster.
- Before and after photos of Earth.
- Counterintuitive doors.
- What ancient philosophers had to say about anger management.
- On the science of friendship.
- Slow-cooker chicken tortilla soup.
- Slow-cooker chicken and rice biryani.
- One-pan BBQ chicken burrito bowls.
- Western omelet in a mug.
- Egg drop soup.
- Vegetarian taco salad.
- 21 recipes for the microwave.
- 16 recipes for Brussels sprouts.
- Nutella-stuffed snickerdoodles.
- Samoas brownies. (via jmcbks)
- “A love letter to Minnesota and social anxiety“. (video)
- Star Wars origami: Darth Vader and an X-wing Starfighter (via CRAFT).
- “People from classic paintings inserted into modern city life“. (via ofgeography)
- Variations on the 19th century galloping horse snippet.
- Photos of the solar eclipse earlier this week.
- 360-degree view in San Francisco’s cat cafe.
- Interactive self care game.
- Watch journals being made by hand in Nepal.
- Mythbusters supercut.
Cool or Wha…?
- Underwater rugby.
- Darth Vader toothpick dispenser.
- Madison, Wisconsin’s official city bird is the pink (plastic) flamingo.
- Unusual bandages. And shower curtains. And night-lights.
- London has a bouncy castle for adults now.
- “Designers grow edible fungus out of plastic garbage“.
- “The trouble with teleportation“.
- Bunnydict Cumberpatch?
- Very Wrecky indeed. O.o
- “The average woman owns 16 bras”.
- The only map of Europe you will ever need! 😉
- The cutest little supervisor ever.
The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages by Gwen Diehn. Very good book about art journaling, covering everything from choosing materials and blank books to types of journals people keep to prompts and journaling ideas to instructions for binding your own journals. Recommended. I got this from the library, but a used copy of my very own is already on its way from Thrift Books. 🙂
The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks and Albums Made Simply Beautiful by Gwen Diehn. I didn’t think this was quite as good as her later book, The Decorated Journal: Creating Beautifully Expressive Journal Pages, but I still liked it enough to order a copy through Thrift Books. I felt that this book really showed the scrapbooking roots of art journaling and, in fact, at the time (2002), the term “art journaling” doesn’t seem to have been in use, based on Diehn’s discussion about what such illustrated journals should be called.
*dorking out* -Chaos