- Blodeuedd’s giving away an ebook copy of Please Release Me by Rhoda Baker. Closes September 26.
- New releases: Fiction Vixen (romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Great post from Marshall Thornton about the Josh Lanyon mess (I’ve actually met Marshall, which is very helpful in this case).
- Journaling tips. (via journalobsessed)
- Journal ideas.
- “What does it take to be a freelance fortune cookie writer?“
- Advertising video about writing from Field Notes.
- Watch the process of book printing.
- “22 patterns for literary mittens”.
- Ready to rent a room in HP Lovecraft’s old house?
- Librarian gothic. (via puckling)
- Harry Potter light switch upgrade. (via grim-lupine)
- Yoga for writers.
Think, Do, Learn, Make
- Most iconic songs, according to science. And the most uplifting playlist, according to science.
- Interactive video about how neurons work in our brains.
- “Happy Birthday” is no longer covered by copyright.
- Apparently this was the “hottest summer in recorded history”.
- “271 years before Pantone, an artist mixed and described every color imaginable in an 800-page book“.(via puckling)
- How to select apples.
- There’s a “supermoon” total lunar eclipse this weekend.
- Chicago in 1896 – on film.
- “Proton Earth, Electron Moon“: “This is, by far, the most destructive What-If scenario to date.” That’s pretty impressive, actually, if you read What If? regularly! 🙂
- A few of the best astronomy photos of the year.
- Traditional Greek salad.
- Spaghetti squash pad Thai.
- Three-ingredient energy bars.
- 20 apple recipes.
- Baked apples stuffed with oatmeal and brown sugar.
- Homemade flavored instant oatmeal.
- Chocolate streusel banana muffins.
- The “Essential Chocolate Chip Cookie Guide”.
- Triple chocolate cupcakes. (via gronkowskis)
- “22 patterns for literary mittens“. (Yes, this is included twice. Intentionally even!)
- Free online mini art journal workshop.
- Knitting linkity from kmkat.
- How birds see the world. (via mrsfreddykrueger)
- “129 of the most beautiful shots in movie history“. (via elvenenchantress)
- Short film about time travel.
- Short film about R2-D2 falling in love with a mailbox.
- Short film about building a scale model of the solar system.
- Time-lapse of the Bob Dylan mural in downtown Minneapolis being painted.
- 18 interesting tea infusers.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- “12 inedible pumpkin spice products“.
- Pizza-flavored ice cream.
- Toasted Graham is the newest Starbucks latte flavor.
- An AIDS drug increased from $13.50 to $750 per pill – overnight.
- Emoji keyboard with 1000 keys.
- Keep in mind that I’m a Scorpio before you check out this post about “the signs as Halloween aesthetics”.
- Sauron as a house cat.
Art Journals and Creative Healing: Restoring the Spirit Through Self-Expression by Sharon Soneff. Ok book with example art journal pages from different women who used art journaling to help themselves through physical, mental, and spiritual challenges. I’ve never really understood the whole spiritual/religious thing; YMMV.
Art at the Speed of Life: Motivation and Inspiration for Making Mixed-Media Art Every Day by Pam Carriker. The best thing about this book is all the detailed information about making layered backgrounds for mixed media. Unfortunately, it also made me realize that I am probably not patient enough to make those sorts of backgrounds. Oh well. I started to skim about halfway through when I found myself nodding off.
“Hmm. You are definitely NOT MOM. But maybe you are ok anyway.” -Mayhem to the catsitter, apparently