- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance), Tor.com (PNR, UF/horror), and Dear Author (romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- Lots of bookity linkity from Book Riot.
- Is your to-be-read list too much commitment for you?
- Heidi Cullinan unpacks The Mary Sue’s romance tropes post.
- Build your own bookcase chair. (via CRAFT)
- A look inside Uncle Hugo’s Science Fiction Bookstore. (via stuffaboutminnesota)
- A fanfiction writer seeks medical advice.
- Jane Austen bingo.
Think, Make, Learn, Do
- Six digestion myths.
- “Can an Olympic cyclist cycle hard enough to toast bread?“
- How did the ballpoint pen come to be?
- The effects of lack of sleep on your brain.
- The world’s largest languages, mapped proportionately.
- Footage of Amelia Earhart from before her last flight.
- “Does the finance industry benefit society? Study says no.” (via jmcbks)
- What would a day on Pluto be like?
- Build a backyard lounge chair. (via Lifehacker)
- Sandwich infographic to help you figure out what to eat.
- 20 strawberry recipes.
- 12 blueberry recipes.
- 10 cold soups.
- 9 basil recipes.
- Vegan lasagna.
- Chicken lettuce wraps.
- Warm potato and salmon salad.
- Five-spice chicken and pea shoots salad.
- Baked goat cheese with spring lettuce salad.
- Wild rice and mixed greens salad.
- Masa cakes with cabbage slaw.
- Mixed mushroom egg bakes.
- Poached rhubarb royale.
- Salted chocolate chip cookies.
- Pesto zucchini tomato gratin.
- “Chicken-in-a-Biskit” crackers.
- Chocolate chip zucchini bread.
- Cherry clafoutis.
- Knit some whimsical little “botanical creatures”. (via bronwyngreenauthor)
- Knitting linkity from kmkat.
- Dinosaur in Lake Calhoun.
- Some more photos from Open Streets Lyndale on Sunday. (I posted my photos Monday if you missed them.)
- Photo-heavy post about an art journaling workshop.
- LEGO wedding cake.
- Curved origami. (via elvenenchantress)
- Short film about the rise and fall of a intelligent species on another planet.
- Short film about struggling to text.
- Video that levels the streets of San Francisco.
- Music video about colonizing Mars.
- Firefly playing cards. (via The Mary Sue)
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Buy your very own haunted mansion.
- “Eerie Polaroids from the set of The Shining“.
- 8-bit Jurassic Park.
- Mad Max: Fury Road My Little Ponies.
- Millenium Falcon multitool.
- “Boeing engineers plan to add Star Wars sounds to their lasers“.
- Abandoned wax museum. (via mental_floss)
- Toilets in elevators?
- Plush Pope.
- “Tallywackers“. (via alexwhitehall)
- Cap’n Crunch-coated cream-filled doughnut.
- Pizza with pigs-in-blankets crust edging.
- A geek’s perspective on The Martian. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
- “Words for pets“. (Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.)
- Sesame Street’s Jurassic Park parody.
- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. (Thanks, Bron!)
- Bad 70’s men’s fashion. (via elvenenchantress)
- Black kitten generator!
- Baby fox! Pudu and baby! Bunny! Otter and babies! Wolverine and babies! Baby snow leopards! Kittens! Baby cheetah and puppy! Cat and kitten! Black kitten! Flamingos and babies! Red pandas!
I Think I Might Be Autistic: A Guide to Autism Spectrum Disorder Diagnosis and Self-Discovery for Adults by Cynthia Kim. Excellent little book for those of us who’ve come to suspect we’re neurodiverse instead of neurotypical. Defines autism spectrum disorders, describes the process of getting an official diagnosis (and how that might not even be possible for everyone), and discusses how to properly self-diagnose. Highly recommended.
Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #1) by Louise Penny. Very good mystery set in Quebec, in a thriving little town that’s not on any of the maps (the Chief Inspector checks as they’re driving out from Montreal), after an elderly and much-beloved town resident is found dead. Accidental death… or murder? I’m already on the wait list at the library for the next two books in the series. 🙂
“Clean face, clean face, I’m going to have a clean clean face!” -Chaos