- New releases: Fiction Vixen (UF/romance)
- Book and publishing news from Dear Author.
- From Heidi Cullinan: “My book is not my baby, though sometimes it does reek of poo.“
- “On why authors have more power than readers“.
- Dear Author looks at the Kickstarter business model.
- Writing and authorly links from Becky Black.
- Haruki Murakami is starting an advice column. o.O Have you read any of Murakami’s books?! Oh my. (via twoearsandaheart)
- Genre readers unite! (via tracykitn)
- How many of you are using this flowchart to make your book buying decisions?
- Go watch a 41-second video about a book. Worth it! 🙂
- 15 lovely Little Free Libraries.
- A basement bookstore that’s walking distance from me.
- Yes, this.
Think, Learn, Make, Do
- “Nonconforming and freethinking now considered mental illnesses“. (via emmaseasall)
- Turns out this year’s flu vaccine was only 23% effective.
- Target’s closing all its Canadian stores.
- The Cadbury Creme Egg recipe is changing, but not in the US.
- “Men who post lots of selfies show signs of psychopathy, says study“.
- What would it be like to swim in a pool on the moon? Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.
- “New Horizons is carrying the ashes of Pluto’s discoverer to Pluto“.
- The Pillars of Creation were actually destroyed more than a thousand years ago.
- Both Pizza Hut and Coors have new gluten-free options.
- How was the Oreo invented?
- Calculate if you’ll save money by dropping cable.
- Winter driving myths.
- Flowchart to help you pick the right board game for any situation.
- Kyle MacLachlan will be returning to Twin Peaks.
- 12 hearty casseroles.
- 13 vegetable soups.
- Smoky tomato and lentil soup.
- Kale and potato soup.
- White bean and bacon soup.
- Slow cooker enchilada quinoa bake. (via CRAFT)
- Roast chicken with carmelized citrus and allspice. (via The Kitchn)
- Savory waffle pizzas. (via The Kitchn)
- Spiced carrot oat breakfast cookies.
- Banana nut muffins.
- Sipping chocolate.
- Skinny blueberry corn muffins.
- Thick & chewy chocolate chip cookies.
- Chicken-fried chicken.
- Soft flour tortillas.
- Giant turtle snow sculpture
- 15 LEGO “brickfilms”.
- Fun short film. Short love story.
- Tiny paper Millennium Falcon.
- Listen to the sounds of space.
- For your Neil deGrasse Tyson t-shirt needs.
- Aerial photos of New York City.
- The lights of Uptown Minneapolis.
- Linkity from kmkat.
Cool or Wha…?
- Topiary sculpture?
- Twitter-based Choose Your Own Adventure.
- Star Trek paperclips.
- Door-bottom air filter – wouldn’t it be smarter to put in a threshold in order to keep out smells and sounds?
- Tiny ceiling fan.
- Man Bowl.
- Nunchuck iPhone case.
- “Conversation heart jelly beans exist, are not heart-shaped“.
- Professional cuddler is a real job.
- Does your refrigerator really need a wifi-enabled Keurig built into it?
- Nothing says professional attire like a button-up shirt covered with poop emojis.
- “Pop-up restaurant has 60K waiting on a list to eat twitching seafood covered in ants“.
- “Canada’s most aggressive act since 1812“.
- “Gut fauna“. Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.
- If the creator of xkcd could live anywhere… Hover cursor/long-press for additional text.
- If you have trouble generating D&D characters…
- Black kitty (I guess) in a bean patch.
Foxglove Summer (The Rivers of London #5) by Ben Aaronovitch. Good continuation of this urban fantasy series, which finds Peter and Beverly Brook looking for missing children in pastoral rural England. Not rated “very good” due to an abrupt ending and some inadequately resolved questions.