Congrats to MarMight, who won Return to the Mountain (The Mountains #5) by PD Singer! Return to the Mountain is also being released today by Dreamspinner Press. Don’t forget that you can now download the free short, Cross the Mountain (The Mountains #3.2)!
- Piper Vaughn’s celebrating her new website look with a contest (backlist title, $10 book gift certificate, and a chance to name one of Piper’s future characters). Closes 9 pm CDT, March 24.
- Kay Berrisford’s giving away an ebook copy of Off With Their Heads by KA Merikan. Closes March 25.
- Tracy’s giving away two copies of Fame by Tilly Bagshawe. Closes 7 pm PDT, March 29. US & Canada.
- Knitnzu’s having her annual snow melt contest – submit your guesses by 5 pm EDT, March 30. Prizes include yarn or, for non-knitters, a Dunkin’ Donuts gift card.
- Blodeuedd’s giving away a copy of The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl by Gina Lamm. Closes March 31. US & Canada.
- New releases and more: Fiction Vixen (romance & UF).
- JManga will shut down March 26 and leave its customers unable to access their DRM’d purchases, which can only be viewed on the website…
Do, Think, Make, Learn
- The impact of Google Reader’s loss on bloggers. (Thanks, Weasel!) “What Google Reader could learn from the Veronica Mars Kickstarter“. 20 alternatives to Google Reader. 33 more alternatives to Google Reader. (Make sure that, if the alternative relies on Google Reader, it has a plan in place to be free of GR before July 1!) Lifehacker readers voted Feedly as their favorite GR replacement. Dear Author covered a few GR replacement options. Here’s a Firefox/Chrome userscript that will let you save your GR saved items elsewhere. Digg announces they’re going to build a reader.
- The announcement of Google’s new notetaking service, Keep, was perhaps poorly timed… Why didn’t Google just keep its previous notetaking service, Notebooks, going?! Six Evernote features that Keep doesn’t have.
- I’ve used Feedly all week – both the Android app and the web site from my laptop – and I like it, after getting used to it. Some setting tweaks did improve the website for me. First I went into Google Reader and put all of my feeds into folders. Feeds not in a folder/category end up as “Uncategorized”, which doesn’t display an unread count. Second, I changed to the list view for the “Latest” category and then, as I accessed them, changed my other categories to the full article view. Third, I became familiar with the keyboard shortcuts – particularly “r”, “j”, and “k”.
- Some cat and dog kibble sold as California Natural, Evo, Healthwise, and Innova brands has been recalled for possible salmonella contamination.
Cool or Wha…?
- Firefly air freshener. (via The Mary Sue, which speculates that Firefly might smell like “[b]anter and despair”…)
- Montana residents might soon be able to legally eat roadkill. (Mental note: Accept no dinner party invitations from my Montana coworkers.)
- Baby red panda! Very fresh kittens! Baby otters! Kitten! Kitten! Kitten! Tiger! Baby arctic foxes! Baby wild boar! Otter! Kitten! Springhare and babies! Kitten! Kittens! Animated kitties! Kitten! Penguin and baby!
- I’ll let you guess. 🙂
“Why do you look so nervous?” -Mayhem