- Joyfully Jay is giving away an ebook copy of One Small Thing by Piper Vaughn & MJ O’Shea. Contest closes 11:59 pm EDT, May 4.
- Piper and MJ are giving away an ebook copy of Conviction (Dominion #3) by Lissa Kasey. Contest closes 9 pm CDT, May 6.
- Joder’s giving away an ebook copy of Carnal Denial (Carnality #3) by DL Jackson. Contest closes 11:59 pm CDT, May 7.
- Joyfully Jay is giving away an ebook copy of Mind Magic by Poppy Dennison. Contest closes 11:59 pm EDT, May 8.
- Kate McMurray is giving away an ebook copy of Out in the Field. Make sure you read how to enter! Contest closes midnight EDT, May 12.
- For every $1 you donate to Jackie of Literary Escapism’s Race for the Cure Walk, you’ll get a chance to win some signed PNR novels! Pledge by May 26.
- New releases and more: Rarely Dusty Books (m/m romance), Elisa Rolle (LGBT), Literary Escapism (UF/PNR), Tor.com (PNR), AAR (romance audiobooks), and Book Lovers Inc (romance).
- This week’s comic strips at Unshelved have been focused on censorship: part one, part two, part three, part four.
- Today is the International Day Against DRM. It’s also May the Fourth (Be With You). And No Pants Day.
Think, Do, Make, Learn
- 30% of American workers aren’t getting enough sleep, which is particularly bad news when combined with new research that found not getting enough sleep can promote the “expression of obesity related gene[s].”
- The Earth in a drop of water. (Thanks, Jeanne!)
- Molten chocolate candle cake. (It’s here because there’s no recipe, so…)
Cool or Wha…?
- Baby cheetahs! Tiger and baby! Tiger and baby! Lioness and baby! Violet-backed starling! Tiger! Black jaguar! Black jaguar! Tiger! Black kitten! Baby clouded leopards! Baby whatsit (possibly an African civet)! Baby foxes! Kitten! Baby caracals! Kittens! Baby Duiker! Kitten! Baby fennecs! Polar bear and baby! Cat and kitten! Cat and kitten!
King Perry by Edmond Manning. ebook. Excellent gay fiction about taking chances, forgiving, and finding the self you lost along the way. I started reading feeling a bit resistant, because, well, it sounded kinda hokey to me from the blurb. Oh, how very wrong I was – and how very glad that I read this story. While it has romantic moments and is filled with love, it is not a romance per se, so you need to let go of your expectations about how the story will end. But rest assured that this is not like some of the other stories I’ve read in Dreamspinner’s BitterSweet line, which left me heartsick or upset about even having read the book. Highly recommended.
Out in the Field by Kate McMurray. ebook. Excellent m/m romance about a closeted baseball player nearing the end of his career who’s uncomfortably attracted to the new rookie star on the team… an attraction that turns out to be mutual.
Good Bones by Kim Fielding. ebook. Very good paranormal m/m romance about an architect who hides his unwilling werewolfism from everyone except his brother and sister-in-law. Eventually he moves to the woods, figuring it will be safer than hoping he’s able to lock himself up in time every month… but he didn’t factor in his sexy next door neighbor.
Thank My Lucky Scars by Tia Fielding. ebook short. Sweet short m/m romance about an injured bike messenger who starts to follow his favorite porn star on Twitter… and then they actually get to meet.
Manhandled by SA Reid & Rosemary O’Malley. ebook. Steamy short m/m romance about a cop who meets a young doctor in a most unusual way, giving a whole new meaning to “closeted”. Be aware that there’s dubious consent in this one.
Mind Magic by Poppy Dennison. ebook. Good paranormal m/m romance about a mage who violates the rules of his people to save some werewolf cubs being imprisoned and slowly killed by a demon. Doing so changes his life more than he could ever have imagined… I suspect there’s a sequel planned, so I won’t complain about the things left open at the end of the story. However, I did have some niggles as I read, as there were several points where things were just too convenient or inconsistent with previously provided information.
Don’t Judge a Book… by Scarlet Blackwell. ebook short. Good m/m romance about a library assistant who’s quite put out over having to deal with an unfortunately attractive guy doing community service work at the library.
Amuse Bouche (Russell Quant #1) by Anthony Bidulka. Ok gay mystery about a PI who’s hired by a jilted groom to find his missing boyfriend. Pretty sure this is the only book I’ve read that was set in Saskatoon.
Chasing Shadows by Jez Morrow. ebook. Ok paranormal m/m romance that could’ve been a five-star read if it hadn’t jumped all over the place – to the point that I’m not convinced there’s not part of a chapter missing.
Loving Arms by Marie Medina. ebook short. Meh short m/m romance about two guys who are after the same evil woman, but turn to each other instead. Choppy, repetitive writing and all tell, no show made this a painful read.
“Hmph. That bird wouldn’t be so sassy if it was on this side of the window!” -Mayhem