- Embrace the Rainbow is giving away 36 different GLBTQQ ebooks and print books by 28 different authors. Make sure you read how to enter! Contest closes midnight EDT, April 18.
- New releases and more: Rarely Dusty Books (m/m romance), AAR (romances), and Book Lovers Inc (a little of everything).
- An editor’s erotic tale of lines and actions deserving of a snarky blog… Part 2. Part 3 (the end). (Thanks, Juni!)
- Amazon isn’t going to kill publishing. “Amazon is not all of ebooks.” And also, Amazon is succeeding in spite of agency pricing, so… what was the point?
- Dear Author explains the settlement between the Department of Justice and Hatchette, Harper Collins, and Simon & Schuster.
Think, Make, Do, Learn
- The Ninth Circuit Court ruled that it isn’t a crime to break a Terms of Service (TOS) agreement, so no need to feel bad about never having read one! 😉
- Go sign a petition in support of Electronic Arts, which is under attack from conservatives for including the option to have same-sex couples in a recent game.
- If you’re not thrilled that Facebook bought Instagram, here’s how to export all of your Instagram photos at once.
- 15,000 temperature records were broken in March (contiguous US).
- Five meals and five desserts to serve nearly everyone (even your vegan, gluten- and lactose-intolerant friend who’s allergic to nuts and eggs!).
- Free iPad apps: National Geographic Today (cool photos) and Minds of Modern Math (a millennium of math history).
- Canada now has a limited edition quarter with a glow-in-the-dark dinosaur on it… although it costs $30 to purchase one.
- Turn yourself (or a friend) into a superhero action figure! (Definite gift potential.)
Cool or Wha…?
- Poking at the recent spate of legislation restricting the reproductive rights of women in the US. (Possibly NSFW)
- Fennecs! Fennec! Tiger and baby! Baby tiger! Baby tiger! Baby tigers! Cheetah and baby! Red panda and baby! Kitten! Black jaguar! Kitten! Bird and bison! Fennec! Baby clouded leopards! Fennec! Baby tigers! Cheetah and babies! Hummingbird! Kitten! Baby penguins!
Magic Mansion by Jordan Castillo Price. ebook. Very good paranormal m/m romance about two magicians who briefly connect during auditions for a reality television show about magicians in which they both end up as participants (along with ten others). Who will take home the glory… and the $250,000 prize? Wonderfully written and with bonus points for a completely unique story concept!
The Art of Words by RJ Scott & Meredith Russell. ebook arc. Very good m/m romance about an artist with severe dyslexia that he keeps hidden. When his work attracts a wealthy, handsome sponsor, it seems too good to be true…
If Only by sadtomato. free online. Very good *braces self* Edward/Jacob slash. I can’t believe I typed that! LOL. But really, it’s just a story about a gay guy and his straight roommate/best friend… with a crazy number of “outtake” chapters at the end, including an alternate ending that made me sniffle a bit.
Little Boy Dead (Boystown #0) by Marshall Thornton. free ebook. Very good gay mystery prequel to the Nick Nowak Boystown series in which we get to meet a younger, less cynical Nick working as security for a film festival and just starting his new life as a private investigator. (Also, that is a scary belly button.)
The Long Con by Lori Toland. ebook. Good m/m romantic suspense about a British agent who tracks a stolen Faberge egg to New York City, where he’s mistaken for a prostitute and uses that to his investigative advantage. This book had a somewhat over-the-top old-school romance feel to it; while that’s not usually my forte, it mostly worked here and I got sucked into the story.
Ice Blues (Donald Strachey #3) by Richard Stevenson. Good gay mystery that starts with Don going to pick up his car (towed in a snow emergency, the bane of all northern folk) and finding a dead, frozen body in it…
Third Man Out (Donald Strachey #4) by Richard Stevenson. ebook. Good gay mystery in which Don is asked to protect a guy who forcibly outs prominent gay people and who fears his life is in danger as a result. (In the ebook edition I read, none of the acronyms were capitalized. Argh.)
Shock to the System (Donald Strachey #5) by Richard Stevenson. ebook. Good gay mystery in which Don tries to figure why a guy who’d dropped out of an ex-gay program ended up dead. (Had the same acronym issue as the previous book. And… aren’t these covers heinous?)
Chain of Fools (Donald Strachey #6) by Richard Stevenson. ebook. Good gay mystery in which Done investigates what may be one part of a family turning against another over selling the family’s award-winning newspaper to pay off debts. (No acronym issues! Yay!)
Learning from Isaac by Dev Bentham. ebook. Good m/m romance about a college professor who’s mutually attracted to one of his students (a senior), but they agree not to act on that attraction until after graduation. And then the professor runs into the student in a most unexpected place…
Reluctant Mate 2 by Eden Cole. ebook short. Meh short paranormal m/m romance about a guy who, aided by a drug that makes it seem as if he’s a shifter, vows to hunt down the wolf shifters who killed his brother.
Every time I see this sign in my neighborhood, it gives me the giggles, so I had to get a (somewhat enhanced) photo of it:
“You’re too close, Mom!” -Mayhem