Stop by and enter the contest for Across the East River Bridge by Kate McMurray! Contest closes 7 pm CDT, October 10.
Congrats to Helena, who won Life Over Limb (EMS Heat #11) by Stephani Hecht! Life Over Limb will be released by eXtasy Books on October 1.
- To win your choice of two books from LA Witt’s backlist, answer her question in the comments of the contest post by October 5.
- Joder’s giving away a dvd copy of the third season of Fringe. Become a follower and comment by 11:59 pm, October 8, for your chance to win. US only.
- Book Lovers Inc is giving away three different prizes (m/f erotic romance ebooks by Gracen Miller, plus a skull cameo pendant/pin for the first place winner). Comment through October 8 for your chance to win.
- New releases and more: Elisa (GLBT), Tor.com (YA SFF, UF/PNR/horror, fantasy, scifi), Literary Escapism (UF/PNR), Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog (a little of everything), and Book Lovers Inc (a bit of everything).
- It’s Banned Books Week, and the Mary Sue notes that “women authors and books for young women top the ALA’s 2010 list of challenged books“.
- Wave wonders whether we’re hitting saturation in m/m romance. A response. (You can track down many more response posts, too.)
- Miss typewriters, but like the convenience of word processing? Maybe USB Typewriter can help! (Thanks, Bron!)
- The big news this week was the bazillion new Kindles that were announced, including a tablet, the Kindle Fire. Having trouble figuring out which Kindle you should get? This flowchart might help.
Think, Do, Make, Learn
- “If you’re not paying for a service online, then you’re what’s being sold to advertisers and marketers.”
- Deadly food recalls for the week: cantaloupe and ground beef.
- The Washington Monument is shut down indefinitely while engineers assess how badly it was damaged by the earthquake.
- The North American Dialect Map is fun to explore. The heavy MinneSOHtah accents you heard in Fargo? You’ll find them in the Iron Range Dialect Area in northern Minnesota. (Thanks, Bron!)
- Kitty donuts! (Thanks, Seanna!)
- For Doctor Who fans, the Master’s pocket watch also has gifting potential. (via The Mary Sue)
Cool or Wha…?
- A vintage Mickey & Minnie Mouse ad for milk… (Thanks, Seanna!)
- A jacket designed so you can carry 22 pounds of stuff on your body instead of paying for it in your luggage when you fly.
- The Princess Bride Monopoly (sadly not a real product). (via The Mary Sue)
- Kittens! Albino hummingbird! Kitten! Baby red pandas! Kitten! Baby leopard! Kitten! Baby Tasmanian devils! Kitten! Lioness and cubs! Kitten! Cygnets! Baby fennec fox! Many baby pandas! Red panda and babies! Baby pandas! Otter and babies!
Woke Up in a Strange Place by Eric Arvin. ebook. Very good fantasy m/m story about a man who wakes up in the afterlife, with no memory of his prior life, and, with the help of a cryptic guide, begins a journey to recover his memories and make his peace with the significant people from his life.
Blood Howl by Robin Saxon & Alex Kidwell. ebook. Very good paranormal m/m romance about a guy, formerly Special Forces, who now offers those skills for hire. When a job goes in an unexpected direction, he has no idea how much his world is about to change… If a few more questions had been answered by the end of the book, this could have been a five-star read. Maybe there will be a sequel?
Ex Equals by LA Witt. ebook. Very good m/m romance about a guy, formerly in the Navy, who has just started teaching math at a community college and discovers that his ex (still in the Navy) is in his evening class.
In Remembrance of Us by AJ Rose. ebook. Very good m/m romance about a guy suffering from amnesia after a mugging. He’s missing the last two years of his life… including he and his best friend becoming much, much closer. I got sniffly while reading this one. (Be aware that there’s cheating, which I realize is an automatic no for some readers.)
Boystown 3: Two Nick Nowak Novellas by Marshall Thornton. ebook. Two very good historical m/m mysteries about Chicago PI Nick Nowak. It’s 1982, and no one really understands why gay men are getting sick… 🙁
Bulletproof (A Matter of Time #3/#5) by Mary Calmes. ebook. Enjoyable roller coaster of a read that picks up three years after A Matter of Time. Sam’s been away from home in deep cover for months. Jory’s working a job he hates and trying to extricate himself from the complicated interpersonal situations he tangles himself into.
A Little Bite of Magic (Magic #1) by MJ O’Shea. ebook. Sweet paranormal m/m romance about a witch/chef who leaves his pretentious family behind in New Orleans to open a restaurant in San Francisco.
Happy Trails by Carol Lynne. ebook short. Good short m/m romance about a college student out hiking with his cop brother and his brother’s hot work partner. This read like a snippet from a longer book rather than a complete story, which I found frustrating.
“I am sooooooooooooo bored.” -Mayhem
25 thoughts on “Linkity loves Banned Books Week”
That Lego Tower of Orthanc is totally awesome!
I’m looking forward to the next Boystown book, but also not – if you see what I mean :).
A recent post from Jenre..The Enema Scene
perhaps you should resume your fuzzy mouse search, May?
A recent post from Melanie..Apparently, I am Codependent (Thank God for the French Press)
Adds more books to the evergrowing wishlist
Such yummy foods!
A recent post from Eric..Suburban Mythos
Years after my kitty has been gone, we still have those kitty litter buckets hanging around.
I loved the accents map. I’m from North Jersey and the bad/had difference is very clear – in Minnesota people pronounce Mary, Marry and Merry the same way. Weird.
A recent post from Mary Lou..CraftActivism is in the House
I’ll have to revisit this week’s linkity to get all the fun out of it!
A recent post from trek..Doe a deer
Chris- I am taking no chances. The pumpkin hoard will continue.
A recent post from Lorraine..Getting In Gear
Thanks for that link on that response to Wave’s saturation in mm post. That was very interesting! The bookcase necklace was way cool too!
A recent post from Val Kovalin..I have gorgeous new cover art
Play with Lego May and make your own Victorian House. That’s what I’d like to do. Unfortunately I don’t own a single Lego 🙁
p.s. Hopefully that’s the last dumb clothes installment. My eyes can’t take any more.
Wow. I really could have used that tip for peeling a head of garlic earlier when I was peeling tons of garlic for lasagna!
A recent post from Seanna Lea..finding a masculine side
just last month I stopped at the Humane Society & donated all of our extra kitty buckets & pet feeders. Still not sure why we had so many that weren’t in use – but the folks at the HS were VERY happy to take them in!
A recent post from cursingmama..Cats & Cradles ~ Tequila & Strippers
Boredom is not good for kitties. Can’t you find SOMETHING to do, Mayhem?
A recent post from margene..The Color Yellow
Man, those rubber bookshelves! Totally chic design. *grins*
It seems like John Galliano is rather fond of designing Halloween costumes for men… My God, they sure are appropriate for horrifying people!
And thank you for that Facebook tracking link, Chris. Funny how we never really seem to know everything about the web.
Well I’m extremely happy to know I’m safe from zombies here in the Midwest. But then it’s not the most exciting for the living, so I’m sure it wouldn’t appeal to the dead either.
ThinkGeek has the greatest stuff and I LOVE the DW watch! They actually have a great variety of DW stuff. So sad that this weekend is the season finale which I’ll definitely be watching while holding my sonic screwdriver.
Very excited for the Amazon Fire but am definitely waiting for real people’s feedback. Will be saving up for it though and hoping the reviews are ultimately good.
Have a great weekend Chris and thanks for the great links again this week!
What are the odds! yes there is a zombie dot in my city
A recent post from blodeuedd..Review: Odessa – Rebecca Ryals Russell
Thanks for all the linkity!
Poor May! She loses one purple mouse and there’s nothing to do.
Have a great weekend!
A recent post from Brenda..The Secret Passion of the Cat Katrina
LOLOL! Cracking up at the LOLz. thanks for that!
A recent post from Amara Devonte..Riptide Party Day 8: Rachel Haimowitz and Dark Soul #1 by Aleksandr Voinov
Well Mayhem… maybe knowing your mom was mentioned last night in Spanish class might perk your interest… we were talking about “literatura Queer”, and the others were saying how they thought mostly it appealed to homosexual men, and I said, well, actually…
A recent post from lisa..los hongos! mom visit! mitt madness!
Wow, super linkety! I heard about Cheech and Chong on the radio. Yikes… they must need the $.
Mmm… it’s definitely chai season.
A recent post from Jodi..totally autumn
WANT the Princess Bride Monopoly. Someone has to make that. And several of the other LOLs had me literally LOLing so hard I was crying. 😀
I LOVE the lego Victorian house!!!! So cool!!! And the kitty doughnuts are freakishly adorable!!! 😀
A recent post from Bronwyn Green..So, I have this friend…
Ohhh, linkity! I sure love me some Lego…and Princess Bride Monopoly has me drooling 🙂
And I got all excited about LA Witt’s contest, but for some annoying reason Blogger won’t let me post a comment! Am sure it has something to do with cookies…GRRR! Oh well 🙂
Ohhh, lots of lovely reads!
May – am sure you could find something to keep you occupied. Where is the big kitty?
A recent post from orannia..Learning
Whoa, I like that method of peeling garlic. Course now I mostly buy the jars of chopped garlic.
I like Pinterest. It gives me an online place to collect all of the photos I like.
I like that wee camera tripod.
Are there really guys out there who buy these clothes or do they make them purely for the “Oh my God!” effect?
Hey I don’t need a special shirt to look like I spilled coffee on myself. 😉
Wow is all I can say about the albino hummingbird.
A recent post from Sydney..RIP Zoe Ferret, 2002-2011
I wonder how much yarn you can get into that flying jacket..?
A recent post from mrspao..Guest Cat: Bella